how big is too big of a shot with gm s/c? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
how big is too big of a shot with gm s/c?
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 11:31 PM
hey i have a computerized venom vcn-1000 dry kit on my gm supercharged engine right now and im only running a 40 shot which is putting me at 14.1. my question is im getting ready to order jbp s/c grind cams, wiseco stock bore pistons and eagle h-beam rods and getting my head p & p'd (no valve work, well not planning), how big of a shot is too big for the internals? id like to go the biggest i can and be as safe as it can be at the same time. thanks

Re: how big is too big of a shot with gm s/c?
Wednesday, November 02, 2005 11:42 PM
Grab an MSD-DIS 2 and spray 100!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 11:49 PM
this is not about nitrous but would i need new valves and springs since im gonna be puttin down alotta power? and whats the best place to get the springs from ( im ordering valves from car customs)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:33 AM
if your a/f is at 14:1 you shouldnt be running anything until you dump some more fuel into that mix.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:36 AM
I think he meant 14.1 in the 1/4

Thursday, November 03, 2005 9:41 AM
oops. my bad, dogg

Thursday, November 03, 2005 1:13 PM
jsunfireGT2000 wrote:this is not about nitrous but would i need new valves and springs since im gonna be puttin down alotta power? and whats the best place to get the springs from ( im ordering valves from car customs)

Getting new valves wouldn't hurt and ever since I heard of Adam Hahn using stiffer springs without a higher revving motor just because of quicker power increses I've now seen it neccesary or atleast a good add-on.

And for that 100shot, I wouldn't literally run that right off the back. Jump it up to 55 and listen to your engine pretty closely. Then go ahead to a 75shot. If you don't have a wideband a/f I'd deffinately get one so you'll know when to back off. Could really help you in these stages. Then I'd purchase a MSD DIS-II and retard the timing about -2 and listen to how a 100shot goes in.

I know someone in here might have more info on this for you!

Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:40 PM
ok guys this is what im ordering in weeks to come.

wiseco stock bore pistons
eagle h-beam rods
car customs valves
mantapart valve spings (any other sites make them?)
new seals and retainters (new oem ones be ok?)

after all my stuffs in im only gonna run a 55 shot, i know i can do bigger but 55 is all im gonna do for now. i should be hitting high 12's with that in and the bigger nitrous shot. i cant wait.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:44 PM
jsunfireGT2000 wrote:ok guys this is what im ordering in weeks to come.

wiseco stock bore pistons
eagle h-beam rods
car customs valves
mantapart valve spings (any other sites make them?)
new seals and retainters (new oem ones be ok?)

after all my stuffs in im only gonna run a 55 shot, i know i can do bigger but 55 is all im gonna do for now. i should be hitting high 12's with that in and the bigger nitrous shot. i cant wait.

Check out jbodyperformance also for some good stuff. I've only heard one bad thing about them and that was from the s/c'ed stock looking black z24 here on JBO. Forget his name but he has a pretty good build going on with his Z also.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:28 PM
Yeah that one "bad thing" was about their valve springs, the manufacturer switched materials without telling them, and BlackZ2401 ended up replacing his twice because of this "new material". Guess they pulled them off the shelf though as others had problems.

Thursday, November 03, 2005 5:37 PM
so where should i get my valve springs from? i see jbp still has them listed. http://www.jbodyperformance.com/new/PartList.php?catId=18&catName=Valvetrain&subCatId=95&genId=3&genName=3rd%20Generation says call for price but if the other ones are only 180 im guessing the ld9 ones are 200 some. does high 12's with the 55 shot sound about right for me added in with the cams also?

Saturday, November 05, 2005 1:37 PM
A guy i know was running the GM s/c with the 8 psi pulley and a 75 shot on stock internals for about a year before it blew due to the weak stock oil pump.

With a built bottom end you should be able to run 125-150 shot all day long with no problems because your nitrous system also acts as a progressive controller so you can gradually increase the shot as the rpms raise, assuming the oil pump doesn't get you too.

The head work and cams aren't going to yield a ton of power on your motor. Since a supercharger is belt driven its always going to spin the same speed, thus always forcing the same amount of air into the motor. The head work and cams will allow the cylinder to take in more air every time the valve opens lowering boost pressure. The same amount of air will be being forced into the motor just at a lower psi now in return freeing up some of the parasitic loss from the supercharger but not gaining a lot of hp.

I also really recommend to at least going .020" over bore with the pistons so you can start out with a clean machined cylinder wall rather than just hoping your block is not too worn to use a new set of stock size pistons and rings.

My $0.02

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Saturday, November 05, 2005 10:15 PM
2.3 oil system swappage is in order!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search