Thinking about nitrous - need advice - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thinking about nitrous - need advice
Thursday, December 15, 2005 11:12 AM
I'm CONSIDERING a nitrous kit. I've never used nitrous on a Cavalier before, but I have on my other rides, so I know how it works. I'm just curious about what some of you might think. This car is my daily driver, and I'm only going to go to the track on occasion so I don't want to go turbo. I have the 1'6 rockers, a cold air intake, and a full exhaust, but I'm adding a flywheel and MSD coils/wires. I'm also thinking about a fuel tuner like a SAFC. What do you guys recommend?

Re: Thinking about nitrous - need advice
Thursday, December 15, 2005 11:24 AM
it might help if you gave a little information about the car you are gonna be using it on. (what engine, how many miles on it, what condition its in, what type of kit you are getting)
nitrous works the same regardless of the car its on. there are minor installation variances, but the components will be the same. wet kit is most recommended and safest. colder spark plugs and premium gas are a must. 75 hp shot or less with stock internals and stock fuel system. safc not really needed

Thursday, December 15, 2005 11:45 AM
Yeah, I should mention that huh. It's a 97 Cavalier, LN2 5 spd coupe. The engine in the car now has close to 190K on the clock, but I did a compression check and the cylinders are in good shape. I also had the head off a while back to replace the gasket and a bad lifter, and everything looked fine, especially for the mileage. I'm wondering if the engine was rebuilt before I bought it, but regardless, I am absolutely anal about maintanance so I know it's taken care of. At the least, Ihave plans to eventually replace the engine with a reman from Napa or Autozone or some place like that. I'm just tight on cash right now.
Thursday, December 15, 2005 12:43 PM
Well if you have used it before in the past you should know the wireing down and all that. I would just keep an eye on the plugs and I personally wouldn't spray more than a 50 shot unless you have an msd box to pull some timing. Other tan that do to the high milage maybe a progressive if you spray more than 50 to ease the hit of the no2 at first......then gradually go to 75 or so. any way keep us updated and i will be more than happy to help you if you have any questions.

Jeff.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 12:56 PM
Sweet. I'm saving the money up right now, and as soon as I get everything I need, we'll see what happens. I'm working on the suspension a bit this winter and in the spring I'm gonna start back on the motor again.
Friday, December 16, 2005 8:23 AM
Good choice ging suspension....I want to say it was event but someone said something along the lines of ....Have you ever seen an olimpic runner with weak ankles? Then why would you put all your money into your motor if you cant keep it under control... Any way I am very happy that i did my suspension first and haven't regreted it at all. What do you plan on getting suspension wise?

Jeff

Saturday, December 17, 2005 6:48 AM
Well right now I just have urethane bushings and KYB adjustables installed. I lost a bushing in the back and just decided to replace them all. And my shocks and struts were definitely not shocking OR strutting so they got replaced with KYB AGX while I was at it. I have some stainless brake lines and slotted rotors sitting in the garage for this spring but I'm still deciding on springs. I want to lower the car about 2 inches but I'm on a tight budget so I want to make sure I pick the right parts. I'm also driving on the stock wheels but I have 225/50/15 tires on them. I like how they work so I want to make sure they clear when I get my springs on and I've heard that wide of a tire fits a little tight on a lowered car.
Saturday, December 17, 2005 7:52 PM
I'm runnign 225/40/18 on my cav with a 1.75 front drop and 1.5 rear everything is fine. look in the suspension forum if you are unsure about rubbing and what not.

Best of luck to you.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search