Read the FAQs, still have some Qs - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Read the FAQs, still have some Qs
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:24 PM
So I'm new to the J-body. I'm mostly new to nitrous. I've never used it personally in my own car, but I have driven a few cars that had it, and I understand how it works and stuff. I'm looking for opinions on using nitrous on a mostly stock bottom end LN2. I'm going to be getting a new motor and I'm considering a full top end build with cam, valve train, port and polish, intake, all of that. I'm not sure what way to go here. I've never found anything about what sort of fuel upgrades there are, and I'm not sure if stock injectors and such will be enough. And I'm not sure what nitrous kit is best. Zex, NX, wet, dry, all of that. I know the difference between wet and dry, though.I only want about a 50 or 75 shot, so what do you guys think? My friends are all saying go boost stay away from nitrous, but I honestly think nitrous will be easier on my motor than a turbo since I'm only going to use it on occasion (read: drag strip).

Be kind to dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Re: Read the FAQs, still have some Qs
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:07 PM
Oh, and I'm also concerned about compatability with Apexi SAFC or Greddy eManage.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:41 PM
The biggest problem with LN2's and nitrous... the pistons. Detonation kills them, and quick.

If you can prevent the thing from leaning out (proper fuel pressure), and detonating (retard the timing with the MSD DIS-2), it will last longer.

A stock bottom end and a 75 shot? Good luck.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:20 AM
If a stock bottom end LN2 won't handle a 75 shot, then someone should correct the sticky at the top of the forum:

How big a shot? What I need?

35-50shot
Tr6 plugs (any 1-step colder plug) Found Here
89+ oct

75shot
MSD DIS-II (retard -2) Found here
91+ oct

85-100shot
10:1 forged pistons Found here
Eagle H-beam rods Found Here
Copper head gasket Found here
Retard -4
Fuel Pressure Safety Switch Found here
Stronger piston rings Found here

125-150shot
NGK Tr71x plugs (Any 2 step colder plug)
Upgraded Fuel pump Found Here
Fuel Pressure Regulator Found here
Progressive Nitrous Controller Found here
Port and Polished head w/ multi-angle valve job Found here
Competition Intake and Exhaust valves Found here
Head stud kit Found here
Full Clevite bearings All Found here
High rev lifters Found Here

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:17 AM
Whoever wrote that failed to mention those were the recommendations for a 2.4L.

There are few, if any, people on the JBO who have successfully run a 75hp shot on a 2.2L for any extended period of time without breaking something.

On a 2.4L, with stock 150hp.. add a 75hp shot of nitrous and you're now at (roughly) 225hp. That's a 50% increase.

On a 2.2L, with stock 120hp.. add a 75hp shot of nitrous and now you're at 195hp.. but that's a 62.5% increase over stock. Not gonna last.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:44 PM
It's up to you in the end if you want to spray 75 on your LN2 I did it and im sure if i had some ignition timing pulled i would have been fine with mine. I didn't have any piston problems. i spun a Number one rod bearing. I didn't just spray at the track..and honestly i never did get to as when i was on my way there i spun the bearing.
I went through 7-8 bottles of a 75 and 5-6 on a 50 on the street with copper plugs and premo gas, in the course of 3 months.

If you take the time to use the proper precautions ei timing and fuel you won't have a problem. Ask Bballjamal he sprays a 75 regularly and has sprayed 100 on a few occasions. Not everyone will agree on what shot for what motor but You will be safe for the occasional (track ) use with proper timeing and fuel mods.

Have a good one. if you need any help just ask.
Jeff

Thursday, January 12, 2006 2:27 AM
I'm with your friends...go boost.

The only way to run nitrous is at full throttle, which means you're pushing your motor to the limit. You could have a turbocharged or boosted vehicle be fast and not take half the abuse. I am biased though lol

They work totally differently but in the same way...they both provide air.

In my opinion, I think there are more people running boosted 2200s for a long period of time than 2200 owners who do shots very often.

Spend the money and get real power instead of "temporary" power...that's my opinion.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:54 PM
for a 2200 I would suggest if you want power turbocharge, though really i'd recommend a swap to an ecotec or the 2.4, thats just my opinion though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search