what is required to run nitrous on an auto? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what is required to run nitrous on an auto?
Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:17 AM
Just as stated, I know I will need the bottle warmer, though is a window switch required, will an auto shift with nitrous being injected with the WOT switch activiated? or should i let up on the throttle and let it shift, i'm not so sure...

The question comes down to is what is the safest way to run nitrous on an auto?

Re: what is required to run nitrous on an auto?
Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:44 AM
Get the window switch... that should help you out... You dont need to let off the throttle at all... the window switch will take care of it for you.... depending on the amount of shot you are going to use different spark plugs would be needed as well....

Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:57 AM
well do i really need a window switch, because with the WOT i can activate it when it shifts into 2nd, what i'm really asking is will the auto tranny shift while nitrous is being injected...i'm going to start out by running a 50 shot...and yeah i'll get colder spark plugs, what is recommended for the ecotec?

Thursday, January 12, 2006 1:33 PM
if you dont listen to karo then dont ask n20 related questions. he is one of the most experienced n20 users on the org

"IF YOU PERSIST IN DOING WHAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS DONE .....
EXPECT RESULTS NO DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY ACHIEVED"

Thursday, January 12, 2006 2:43 PM
yes I know Karo is one of the most expierenced n20 users, i was just wanting to know if it was possible and still just as safe to do it without the window switch....thank you.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:43 PM
possible, yes. as safe, no.

"IF YOU PERSIST IN DOING WHAT YOU HAVE ALWAYS DONE .....
EXPECT RESULTS NO DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY ACHIEVED"

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:46 PM
What's required to run nitrous has nothing to do with the transmission

I used to run 55-85 hp shots on my 2000 Z24 automatic. I hit the switch when the rpms hit 2,500 rpm in first.... and left it on til I just about hit the speed limiter (at which point, with the smaller tires on, in the quarter mile... I was just at the line).

The transmission will shift at 6,500 rpm (or sooner) with or without nitrous flowing.

As far as safety stuff goes... a window switch IS a great idea... but you don't NEED it to make the car go faster. You may save your engine from blowing up tho....

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:47 PM
Lenko, would you strongly recommend it?

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:16 PM
A window switch? I never used one. I can't strongly recommend anything I've never tried.

It really depends what you're using it for... racing people on the street? (Aside from the stupid factor here... let's be realistic... everyone does it).. as long as you're careful, you'll be fine.

Track racing? Do your homework, talk to people who've used nitrous... get some advice. and be careful

One of these days... I'm gonna write up my OWN faq to answer all my nitrous questions. But that's another day... I've got stuff to do tonight

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:25 PM
I would mostly be using it at the track...maybe somteimes on the street but not much.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:39 PM
ok so with a window switch you tell it to spray between say 2000 and 6400 ok so when you shift will it shut off for that split second then start spraying again or would it continueally spray through the shift?

The one, the only, ME.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:50 PM
The nitrous will shut off tahts how i understand it...though from what lenko says its alright to spray through the shift, i believe though i'm going to spend the extra $85 and get the window switch.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:59 PM
Well.... most if not all nitrous kits come with a WOT switch. You can't spray unless you're at WOT.

It's fine to spray thru shifts on an automatic. No problem there.

When a 5-speed owner sprays... they floor it, WOT switch activates, nitrous sprays... then when they let off the throttle to make the shift, the nitrous shuts off... then they floor it again once it's in gear... WOT switch activates... nitrous sprays again.

It's way easier to run nitrous on an auto. Just floor it, and hit the arming switch.... zoooooooooom!

Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:04 PM
very good point, just as long as i won't hit a rev limiter by not letting up on the nitrous inbetween shifts then i guess i shoudl be fine, i have the auto trans interceptor as well.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:11 PM
As long as you aren't crazy enough to shift an automatic manually... you won't hit the rev limiter.

Just ease off when you get to the top speed limiter that cuts fuel... insta-lean = engine go boom.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:15 PM
now that woudln't be cool...well i'll be safe i don't plan to run this much except for at the track...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search