bad nitrous setup - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bad nitrous setup
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:24 AM
Hi all, ive had a nitrous system in my car, its technically a 75 dry shot NX. But i believe i installed it wrong. It does work, but i believe i could be getting better performance.

I installed it along these lines. considering i knew nowon that had any kits and the closest was my uncle with nitrous cyclone. So basically i ordered a tbs that i could run a line to it. So i have the bottle in my car and the solinoid is hooked up with a fitting directly to the bottle.

Should i move the solinoid closer to the tbs? or have it sorta at a half way point in the engine bay.

note: the bottle is in my glove, box, i had to cut the back out of the glove box to fit the bottle in there so the line isnt that long maybe 5 feet max

Re: bad nitrous setup
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:55 PM
Any pics, and what size jets are you running?

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:57 PM
Shane Ends wrote:considering i knew nowon that had any kits and the closest was my uncle with nitrous cyclone. So basically i ordered a tbs that i could run a line to it. So i have the bottle in my car and the solinoid is hooked up with a fitting directly to the bottle.

Should i move the solinoid closer to the tbs? or have it sorta at a half way point in the engine bay.

note: the bottle is in my glove, box, i had to cut the back out of the glove box to fit the bottle in there so the line isnt that long maybe 5 feet max

is that English?

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:48 PM
ill try to refraise it, but i knew next to nothing about nitrous kits, and i know alil more now that i installed one.

basically my bottle is in my glove box and my solinoid (thing that goes click when i hit the button, you know sprays the nitrous down my line, and into my tbs and that intern the nitrous gets into my intake. Now as for the jet, im not using a jet as the air raid tbs didnt fit the nitrous express fittings that came with the kit. so basically from the bottle there is fitting that goes to the solinoid, then from there the solinoid connects to the line that goes to another fitting that goes into my tbs.

the only thing i want to know, is what is better the current setup i have, or should i move the solinoid right next to the tbs??

currently:bottle-->solinoid-->line-->tbs
So it would be: bottle--> line-->solinoid-->line(will need a small amount as i cant directly hookup the solinoid to tbs)-->tbs?

my nitrous NX kit was rated for 50-100 hp dry shot
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:59 PM
So you're not using any jets to meter the nitrous? Did I read that wrong?

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:14 PM
First off it's "solenoid" it bugged me everytime. Now you should have a nozzle similar to this. Not exactly the same since you have a dry kit.

And in that nozzle should be one of these.

The nitrous nozzle goes into the intake where you pre-drilled a hole for it about 6 inches (IIRC) from the throttle body.

And again (IIRC) the nitrous solenoid goes near the TB not the bottle.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:18 PM
im confused... Were on a J-body board... you have a SRT-4 in your sig... but your name is 95 Vet.... WTF!?!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:52 PM
Quote:

Hi all, ive had a nitrous system in my car, its technically a 75 dry shot NX.

That could be a bad thing, I wouldn't run that much on a dry shot.
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:31 PM
just a thought: Can some how convert my dry to wet/efi?

the reason i dont use a jet is because the tbs didnt fit my nitrous express nozzle so i had to get something nozzle like fabricated.

Now is it possible to hookup another solinoid closer to the tbs, so i can just hookup both to the same line and set them off at the same time?. So i can increase the rate the dry shot enters my tbs?

bottle-->solinoid-->line-->solinoid-->tbs

hook both solinoids up the same pwr source/switch/button
Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:41 AM
It sounds like the dry shot is entering the tbs as fast as the bottle pressure will allow it, likely causing your engine to lean out far beyond power making levels, and running the real risk of blowing your engine (you're damn lucky you have a small bottle). You don't need MORE nitrous flow, you need a way to meter the flow of nitrous so you can get a good A/F ratio. If it's not making power like you think it should that's because you're leaning out and not making power.

You've never mentioned how you have the line to the fpr hooked up. How a dry kit works is the fpr adds fuel pressure based on engine vacuum. At idle there is lots of vacuum, and less fuel pressure, at WOT there is little vacuum and more fuel pressure. When you spray nitrous, it SHOULD add pressure to the vacuum line which adds more fuel pressure to match the nitrous that you're spraying (when you add air, you need to add fuel). This is obviously a very basic explanation, but it sounds like you need to do some reading before spraying again, to make sure you don't wreck something.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:46 AM
yeah is there anyone locally in winnepeg maybe i could talk to or maybe, figure out how to fix my mess?

Thursday, January 19, 2006 11:36 AM
If I were you I wouldn't touch nitrous untill you do your homework. There are many things you have already mentioned that are so far out of wack your motor could have been blown like the 4th of july. I would just chill. Search through this forum read the sticky and then come back around for some advice. There is no real good way of helping you if you don't understand what our advice means.

I'm in no way trying to come off as a cock I'm just telling you how it is.

Check out my cardomain Team Altered

Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:08 PM
i fully understand what you guys are talking about, i read for 4 months straight even before registering here and started posting about nitrous. I bought reputable nitrous system. but because my tbs and nitrous dont fit up(which NX told me in emails it would) im using custom fittings for most connections from bottle to line to tbs. so basically im trying to fix my messed up situation. You dont go sky diving on first try on your own lol

So i will have to get a new nozzle, toss my tbs,splice into my fuel line,drill a hole in my intake, get all new fittings,move/mount the solinoid closer to the intake(custom brackets). This sounds like a weekend job glad i got some time off upcoming

ill take a pic of what i mean.

basically that line goes into my tbs through a jet like fitting, that came with the tbs
http://img472.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nitrous3zn.jpg

hopefully this sheds some light onto things
Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:24 PM
For some reason I don't see all that working out to well....
Take it to a professional or someone that knows what they are doing if you want to convert to wet. Don't spray until you do this at all.
I can't imagine how fast you were spraying through that bottle....

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, January 19, 2006 2:43 PM
And you don't need to splice in to the fuel line all you need to do is use the schrader valve on the fuel line.

^ this is what I mean about reading up, anyone who did a good amount of research on the ecotec would know that there is a real easy fuel hook up through the shrader valve.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:47 PM
sounds good, i got ianbrydan looking at my car sometime his week, hopefully he can give me some hands on tips, and i think it would be a good idea to switch to wet as it gives better performance anyways. And fatalic once i get my setup fixed up,and i get my headers in i would love to see yeah at gimli speedway
Friday, January 20, 2006 12:21 AM
Wait wait, anybody else catch that?

Your bottle is in your glovebox? How big is it? I don't think a bottle that fits in the glovebox could support a 75 shot for very long at all...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Friday, January 20, 2006 11:58 AM
Sounds like you got a good game plan just remember to read up and be aware of all the precautions when spraying. and where is Gimli speedway? If it's nearby and there tech line isn't to picky that sounds like a plan lol

Friday, January 20, 2006 2:40 PM
Quote:

I can't imagine how fast you were spraying through that bottle....

Not the only one that caught it shifted.

Cardomain|Myspace

Friday, January 20, 2006 6:38 PM
dude i tried to read your thread.... I have absolutely no idea what your trying to say... my adive sell everythign you have, buy a NX wet kit with the Gen X and Gen X2 accesories kit and you will have eveythign you need

Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:50 AM
Darkstars wrote:dude i tried to read your thread.... I have absolutely no idea what your trying to say... my adive sell everythign you have, buy a NX wet kit with the Gen X and Gen X2 accesories kit and you will have eveythign you need

totally agreed!

Dude, u got any pics of your setup?

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 7:53 AM
Yea I would really like to see that setup. And no I caught the bottle in glove box part too, just figured I'd rather tell him to save the motor first then move onto the bottle lol

Saturday, January 21, 2006 9:33 AM
yeah its a small ass bottle, but i could care less, im no nitrous jockey, i just wanted something that would last couple runs and the drag. But yeah ian said to toss it, so im gonna get rid of it as nowon seems they can simply takle my issue, maybe ill have to bring it to motion performance sometime this spring and get them to reinstall it/fix it. ill probly end up buying a ton more fittings and parts, i wouldnt mind paying someone to fix my issue, i even got a 600(check region furom) watt sub and box ill give them aswell lol
Saturday, January 21, 2006 12:28 PM
dude there are people here with more then enough info to fix whatever issues your having... the problem it's liek tlaking to a 4 year old trying to explain a nitrous setup

Saturday, January 21, 2006 1:28 PM
I had a quick peek at his setup, and by quick I mean it was damn cold outside. He's got his bottle in the glovebox (3 lb), solenoid directly on the bottle, and a line running from there straight to the throttle body spacer and into the intake. So there's no nozzle, there MAY be a jet (not sure what size though as they were from a different source), and no reference for the vacum line to add more fuel. He says he's using two range cooler plugs, and always runs premium when spraying.

My recomendation would be to pick up a wet kit minus the bottle off ebay and switch to something safer than a dry if you wanna run a bigger shot than a 50, and have a shop put it in, and help you tune it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search