Dry Kits on Eco, safe to what shot? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Dry Kits on Eco, safe to what shot?
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:23 AM
I have done some searching and gotten mixed results. If I was to invest in a dry kit, what is the maximum shot to keep my engine happy and healthy? I want to be able to run a shot that can be done safely on premium gas and copper plugs. I would be happy with a 50 shot, but if its a stretch I would rather go wet then.

I am getting mixed messages about wet vs. dry. A few friends of mine who really know what there doing are advising me to go with a low shot dry kit for safety.

So what do you guys think, with reliability and safety in mind, whats my best choice, like a 35-50shot of dry n20?

Re: Dry Kits on Eco, safe to what shot?
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:34 AM
GO WET!!! Dry shots aren't safe.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:32 AM
Can you be more detailed than that?? I mean, people keep giving me mixed messages.
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:22 PM
a wet nitrous kit = adds feul along with the shot safer than dry
dry kit = just adds the nitrous. has to depend on the cars feul system to add correct amount. and if the system is not up to speed, that can cause problems and eventully KA-BOOM!

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:30 PM
I am looking to get the NX wet kit off of sportcompactonly.com, Part #: 20923-10

Its a Nitrous Express Stage 1 EFI Systems for 4cyl and 6cyl applications. Can one of you guys just verify this part number so I do not order the wrong kit?

Thanks for everyones patients and help with this, i really appriciate it.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:42 PM
Rob Smith wrote:Can you be more detailed than that?? I mean, people keep giving me mixed messages.

depending on what year car you have, even wet is NOT SAFE

its been discussed many times in the boost forum, and its proven, that the ecotec ECU from 04 and up does not go into open loop under wide open throttle

whats this mean? The ECU constantly adjusts to 14.7:1 AFR

also, the ecu's control is so potent that it is able to adapt out any additional fuel from secondary injection, higher fuel pressure, etc.. including the port fueler made by Hahn which puts in 550cc of extra injector per cylinder.

They've solved the problem by reporgramming the ecu for earlier model year.

which means even a wet shot will not make a difference in AFR. You will pull 14.7:1 everytime and detonation/ engine damage is almost inevitable.

The good news is the ecotec can withstand some of the punishment due to extremely efficient combustion chamber design

but personally, I wouldn't run any nitrous on an ecotec without assuming control of the fuel injection completely.

Other people will argue with me and say they spray their car just fine, but ignorance is bliss. If they ran the numbers or had a wideband, they'd see they're running dangerously lean.

Again, this is for 04 and up... the 03s are 50/50 I'm currently doing research to see if the 03 ecus are programmed with it... that could have been the transition year, meaning some 03s do it and some don't

if you have an 02 ecotec, you have nothing to worry about.

also, piggy back fuel controllers don't work with the newer ecu. eManage (the one I have experience with malfunctioning) could not override the factory ecu's fuel control.

The only system I know of that functions (short of a full blown stand alone) is Megasquirt. MS removes the ecu from fuel calculations completely, thus giving you complete control over your afr.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:14 PM
Ok I took everyones advice and went with the NX wet kit. It will be shipping out in a few days! Cant wait to run a 50 jet. I'm gonna go over to the dodge dealership and get the stock srt-4 plugs, and run my gas tank dry and pump the high octane stuff.

Thanks again, JBO rules.
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 6:37 PM
Quote:

I'm gonna go over to the dodge dealership and get the stock srt-4 plugs

dont have to do that. just go to yourl ocal auto parts store. probaly cheaper there

Friday, February 24, 2006 9:57 AM
But what shot would you recommend for the 2.2 eco just for safety? I'm interested in getting the wet kit myself.

Watch out there nah!
Friday, February 24, 2006 11:06 AM
anywhere from 35 to 75. and if you have big enough balls, 100

Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:35 AM
ON MY PREVIOUS ECO... I ran a zex 75 shot ran a 14.1, I have the slips also and I never had any issues. my only mod was a weapon R intake and the Zex. I ran this for a total of a whole season and my motor was just as strong as it was when I started. I always paid close attention to my a/f and never dipped into a lean condition... So did I have a freak or is not everything out there as true as everyone makes it!?

Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:39 AM
you can run a dry somewhat safe but you have to unplug you air inlet sensor so it will throw more fuel and retard the timing it is an easy way to make it close to a wet kit but i seen a 2.4 hold a 100 shot for three passes and then blow the transmission to peaces

babys might suck on bottles but this baby just out ran you
Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:44 PM
I had an auto tranny.. that helped me...
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 6:20 PM
btw nitrous is the number one killer of ecos.......next to stupid peoples. surpizingly they go hand in hand.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Friday, March 24, 2006 12:55 PM
How hard is it to get the dealer to reflash an ecu to 02 settings? I have read a few times about the 14 a/f and no open loop. I wonder if HP tuners will fix the problem. What would be nice is if the programing could be manipulated to change the 14.5 at certain rpm and boost levels for the F/I guys. That would be cool to have an engine that tuned itself to 12.0 or so when under boost.

I have heard bad things about later model eco's and nitrous also. I guess 14.5 a/f is how they got their 37mpg hwy rating on the sticker for the 04's.

2004 Cavalier. Razzi. (Sold)
1998 Corvette. Some mods.
1992 Typhoon. Lots of mods.
1994 Civic VX 44MPG
Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:49 AM
i use to work for dodge and the stock srt-4 plugs that we were given came in CHAMPION boxes "hint hint" yeah go to auto zone or o'riellys

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search