spray for 05 cavy? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spray for 05 cavy?
Saturday, March 04, 2006 10:57 PM
Ok well i have been reading the nitrous posts for a while and it doesnt really answer my questions. Frist off what is this about an 04/05 not good with nitrous? Second I know the wet or dry thing has been beaten to death but you guys never really explain it good.I want a 35 shot maybe 50 tops do I need wet or could i live with dry i know wet is the best but i am planing on runing small shots here. Also iam a little worried because i hear the blow up stories how dangerious is it really because i plan on keeping my cavy for a long long time (i bought it new)should i forget the whole thing?

darkblade j

Re: spray for 05 cavy?
Saturday, March 04, 2006 11:40 PM
a wet kit adds feul along with the nitrous. a dry kit just adds nitrous and also depends on the cars feul system to add the right amount of feul when spraying.
John Lenko ran a 85 dry shot on his 2.4 without any problems, not that im aware of anyways. but he had an MSD ignition.
some of these horror stories you hear are mainly due to people not taking the proper steps when using nitrous or they spray every chance they get. but with any type of boost, the motor will probaly eventually wear out.
id think a 50 dry shot on an Eco should be ok. maybe even a 75.
not sure about your first question

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, March 05, 2006 12:47 AM
to answer your first question it has to due with the ecu's on the 04 and 05's because they are diffferent than the 02 and 03's. below is some useful info on it i hope it helps again this is just one persons view on the topic at hand. but many people have run 75 wet shots with no problems on a stock ecotec motor.

the ecu adapts whatever you throw at it out for a 14.7 :1 everytime

the megasquirt is the only ecu mod I know of (short of full stand alone like haltech, AEM EMS, or TEC3) that works. eManage does not work

you have a few options tho

buy an ecu for an 02 / 03, or have the dealer reflash it to the earlier year (good luck with that)

or get the megasquirt, install it and be done with it.

Either way works fine... both are a pain, but finding the ecu would be a bit more bothersome if you ask me

Plus MS gives you the ability to do more later if you want.

I'm just starting to build my Megasquirt setup as we speak, and I know a few details about how it functions, but as far as in depth knowledge, I'm not that far into it just yet.

Its about $260 for the MS kit that you build yourself. You can buy pre assembled kits but they're more expensive.

If i were you, first I'd try to find a 2002 cavalier ecu (make sure it matches whatever transmission you have). try www.car-part.com and see if they can find anything (its a meta search, and looks at every local salvage yard)

if that turns up nothing, then you can go with the MS setup which gives you more flexibility as far as future growth, but again I'm not too certain about the particulars yet since I'm still building my own system (i've been staring at the board and components for weeks this weekend I hope to start the project)

as I learn more, i'll keep in contact and update you.

try to find the 02 ecu first... and make sure its for an ecotec.

and again thats just some info from one person on here so im sure others will agrue that you dont need to worry about it but that is all the info that i have heard on it i am intersted to hear others view on that topic too
Sunday, March 05, 2006 11:25 AM
I just put spray on my 05 cavy, and the times i have sprayed I have had no complications. Though if it is true that the 04 and 05's keep that air/fuel ratio then I wuold not use a dry kit. I bought a wet kit and i'm running a 50 shot right now, my take on it is if you have a wet kit and its also injecting the fuel with the nitrous then whats the point of a megasquirt where more fuel will be injected than typically needed? If you go with the right fuel jetting you should not run lean and blow up. I have read numerous posts on here about nitrous on an ecotec and I believe that if you use nitrous right it should do you right.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 11:26 AM
or if hptuners ever comes out with their software, it sounds legit to tune a n/a nitrous engine...

2004 Cavalier, 2.2L Ecotec
1965 El Camino, 396 BBC, 14:1, 800 BHP
Sunday, March 05, 2006 11:46 AM
thats exactly what i'm going to use, because i took my car to have it dynoed last saturday and they said N/A without the nitrous i was running pig rich due to the header i'm guessing i'm not sure, and with the nitrous i was running almost a perfect a/f...so i'm good there, just gotta tune it a bit if that software ever does release.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:03 PM
so wait I can't run adry system with my ecu or I cant run any system with the 05 stock ecu? Another thing I know what the difference is in adry and a wet system please don't tell me for the 9999999999999999999999 time I know! I said that i did reasearch on it.

As far as the horror stories go I was talking about Nitrous Nate he claimed to have done everything right then in the same post person after person told about when they destroyed the motor and I got really freaked out because the is my new car my only car!

And replacing the ecu opens a whole new can of worms for me because I have the software issue other ecos have with dying and runing like crap its tsb and if i replaced the ecu then took it to gm to reflash the computer they woulnd't like that i dont think.

darkblade j
Sunday, March 05, 2006 2:27 PM
you said so yourself and i qoute
Quote:

Second I know the wet or dry thing has been beaten to death but you guys never really explain it good

that there says to me "please explain to me better what a wet kit and what a dry kit it is"
just trying to help out

Sunday, March 05, 2006 3:19 PM
What i am saying is that i know how it works. But why wouls company sell dry kits if they just destroy engions? On jbody.org it seems like if one persons says its bad then everybody says its bad I just wanted ot hear from people who actaully used dry kits.

darkblade j
Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:26 PM
we are not saying that a dry kit will not work, becasue it will, the only thing is with a wet kit you could run a bigger shot and not worry about blowing your engine that is the reason i went with my wet kit. I have an 2005 cavy ls sport with an auto and with a 50 shot i put down 170 hp to the wheel which i was very happy with, and no signs of detonation.

Sunday, March 05, 2006 7:44 PM
See That right there u guys said nitrous wont work on an 05 cavy with out computer mods . I am so confused you guys sya it wont work then you said it would wtf????

darkblade j

Sunday, March 05, 2006 8:54 PM
All I know is i've got an 05 cavy and i have a wet 50 shot and its just fine...i would not use dry because of running lean, but with a wet kit it shoots fuel in at the same time as it does nitrous therefore preventing detonation....

Monday, March 06, 2006 4:55 AM
i dont know what to tell you then. some have had success with an 04-05 J with nitrous and some havn't

Monday, March 06, 2006 1:25 PM
Tyler Lemburg wrote:to answer your first question it has to due with the ecu's on the 04 and 05's because they are diffferent than the 02 and 03's. below is some useful info on it i hope it helps again this is just one persons view on the topic at hand. but many people have run 75 wet shots with no problems on a stock ecotec motor.

the ecu adapts whatever you throw at it out for a 14.7 :1 everytime

the megasquirt is the only ecu mod I know of (short of full stand alone like haltech, AEM EMS, or TEC3) that works. eManage does not work

you have a few options tho

buy an ecu for an 02 / 03, or have the dealer reflash it to the earlier year (good luck with that)

or get the megasquirt, install it and be done with it.

Either way works fine... both are a pain, but finding the ecu would be a bit more bothersome if you ask me

Plus MS gives you the ability to do more later if you want.

I'm just starting to build my Megasquirt setup as we speak, and I know a few details about how it functions, but as far as in depth knowledge, I'm not that far into it just yet.

Its about $260 for the MS kit that you build yourself. You can buy pre assembled kits but they're more expensive.

If i were you, first I'd try to find a 2002 cavalier ecu (make sure it matches whatever transmission you have). try www.car-part.com and see if they can find anything (its a meta search, and looks at every local salvage yard)

if that turns up nothing, then you can go with the MS setup which gives you more flexibility as far as future growth, but again I'm not too certain about the particulars yet since I'm still building my own system (i've been staring at the board and components for weeks this weekend I hope to start the project)

as I learn more, i'll keep in contact and update you.

try to find the 02 ecu first... and make sure its for an ecotec.

and again thats just some info from one person on here so im sure others will agrue that you dont need to worry about it but that is all the info that i have heard on it i am intersted to hear others view on that topic too

he knows nothing about nitrous kits and the way they work. the ecu only controls the stock injectors nothing to do with the solinoids or the fuel the nitrous kit injects

if u buy a nitrous kit try to get a wet kit nx is one of the most used and the price from wet to a dry kit isnt much... its worth the extra money

now the ecu will not compensate for the extra fuel added by the nitrous kit
megasquirt is basicly just another way of spraying fuel into the engine
similar on how a wet kit sprays fuel so no need to buy megasquirt if using nitrous

Monday, March 06, 2006 1:26 PM
another thing u will need is spark plugs avoid the autolite 103's and anything platinum so far stock srt4 plugs seem to fit the best but make sure u get the copper ones

Monday, March 06, 2006 4:18 PM
Well I wrote a complety different post asking different questions and i went in to great detail.
But when i hit submit the server was down so i lost the whole thing. I Have more questions but i figure ill start over a new post a nother day .

darkblade j
Monday, March 06, 2006 6:20 PM
he knows nothing about nitrous kits and the way they work. the ecu only controls the stock injectors nothing to do with the solenoids or the fuel the nitrous kit injects

How do i know nothing? First off i would like you to explain that. Second he stated he wanted to know more about the reason the 04/05 are different and why they dont work as well as the 02/03 ecotecs. So i was giving him info on the subject so he can hear from both sides as some work and some dont and what i stated will explain why the 04/05's do have problems and the reasons why.

similar on how a wet kit sprays fuel so no need to buy megasquirt if using nitrous

I didnt say you had to have ms to run nitrous it just is suggested. Especially if your car is a daily driver and you want to do everything you can to make sure its running as safe as possible. I dont know about you but some people do like to hear both sides of everything that way they can base their own opinion on what they learn. What i stated is only to help and educate people on the subject
Monday, March 06, 2006 6:28 PM
I wouldn't worry about the megasquirt too much right now if the HP tuners software comes out soon this well help tons with a nitrous injected car i believe....though I believe the wet kit which injects fuel as well is plenty enough..i took my car to be dyoned and i was running very rich without the nitrous and in the nitrous run i had about a perfect a/f ratio...so i think it would be fine. Really the only reason i'm considering the HP tuner software is so i can tune it when i'm not using the juice to get maximum benefit of power.

Monday, March 06, 2006 6:46 PM
you need no sort of tuning to just spray a 35 shot the megasquirt will do nothing and the hp tuners will do nothing for what he wants so dont start selling things to people that u THINK will work when they are not needed

Monday, March 06, 2006 6:53 PM
I was just giving him suggestions not trying to sale anything....i just know that my 05 cavy was running pig rich without the nitrous, and the people at the dyno suggested some tuning software if it existed for the cavy to tune the richness out..

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 7:23 AM
on the eco you are perfectly fine running upto a 75 shot without any tunning what so ever. you only need 93 and some plugs. You can even go past that but there are then some other things you should look at. Mega squirt wouldn't be worth the cash for that tiny adjustment if it would even be needed youd be better of with a afc then a mega squirt for that matter but niether are needed or even worth it.

Check out my cardomain Team Altered
BIG CHANGES

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search