Engine Build up - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Build up
Wednesday, March 29, 2006 2:20 PM
Im going to build up my engine for Nitrous and i have a couple of questions.... Getting pistions .. im going with wiseco 10.5:1 is that save for nitrous 100 shot ? can i got with higher compression may b 11:1 ? im getting Eagle rods, clevette bearing's and a new oil pump... now im just conserned about the pistons and piston rings .. what compression should i get and what type of pistons Rings ? do gapless rings make a difference ? what im trying to do is to create a good amount of horse power with NA and be able to use nitrous ? so what CR and what rings .. well thanks

Re: Engine Build up
Thursday, March 30, 2006 1:19 PM
hard to tell ya..

Especially when its a mystery of what "engine" this is

The Only thing Gayer than my cavalier is the purple shade of its nitrous bottle
Saturday, April 01, 2006 9:40 PM
10.5 to 1 compression with 100 shot of nitrous, im thinking along the lines of 130 octane race fuel anyway, so you mise well go with 11:1 compression. If this was a daily driver i would deffinatly stay at 10:1, unless you get MSD ignition setup to pull some timing for you.
Saturday, April 01, 2006 9:49 PM
Fst Cavy wrote:10.5 to 1 compression with 100 shot of nitrous, im thinking along the lines of 130 octane race fuel anyway, so you mise well go with 11:1 compression. If this was a daily driver i would deffinatly stay at 10:1, unless you get MSD ignition setup to pull some timing for you.

Using race fuel when it's not needed can be harmful to a motor.

As far as compression goes, that's entirely up to you. The type of fuel you run will matter though. The reason you would need a higher octane fuel is to prevent detonation. Like Fst Cavy said, if you can retard the timing that would help alot and octane isn't much of an issue.

Also, I'd worry about fuel delivery more so than the octane. What size injectors are you going to be using? What else are you upgrading? What type of nitrous setup are you going with? What type of fuel management are you going to use (if any)?

As far as piston rings, I was under the assumption that when you order the pistons that they come with the rings as well.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Sunday, April 02, 2006 7:19 AM
NJHK (The Turbo Negro) wrote:
Fst Cavy wrote:Also, I'd worry about fuel delivery more so than the octane. What size injectors are you going to be using? What else are you upgrading? What type of nitrous setup are you going with? What type of fuel management are you going to use (if any)?

As far as piston rings, I was under the assumption that when you order the pistons that they come with the rings as well.
You shouldn't have to increase injector sizing with increased compression. The compression makes the engine burn the fuel more efficiently, it doesn't make it burn MORE fuel.
Also, some piston suppliers make you specify whether you want rings included or not.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Sunday, April 02, 2006 2:39 PM
well to start of its a 2.4l and basically i want a my engine to run strong with out nitrous and then more with nitrous at the track and well i see people running 75 shot with stock internals and well since im going to have a built bottom end im going with 100 shot of wet nitrous. . I dont mind using 93 octane but what is the highest compression i can get to use 93 i dont want to be having to use 130 octane everytime i run the car... i will be getting MSD Ignition i guess the DIS 2 . i want this to be a daily 93 octane driver .....so what Pistons should i get ?
Sunday, April 02, 2006 6:09 PM
here let me repharse this.. what is the highest compression i can have using 93 oct and nitrous ?
Sunday, April 02, 2006 9:15 PM
You could probably run 11:1 reliably if you retard timing a little, and make sure everything in the combustion chamber is 'pre-ignition resistant'. Exhaust temps would go up a little, but I don't see any problems.

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Monday, April 03, 2006 12:59 AM
ok ok .. does the CR have to do anything with the timing ? or the retarting of the time only necessary when using 100 shot ? ive read the you have to retard the timing 2 for every 50 HP..... but anyway im just trying to learn a thing or two.. let say i have 10.5:1 CR and running 75 shot and 93 oct .. nothing to worry about ? can i run it all day at day this way ?
Monday, April 03, 2006 1:18 AM
Danny one wrote:ok ok .. does the CR have to do anything with the timing ? or the retarting of the time only necessary when using 100 shot ? ive read the you have to retard the timing 2 for every 50 HP..... but anyway im just trying to learn a thing or two.. let say i have 10.5:1 CR and running 75 shot and 93 oct .. nothing to worry about ? can i run it all day at day this way ?

Retarding the timing has to do with your C/R and your nitrous use...

You have to understand that the reason you use higher octane or retard the timing is to prevent detonation.

Monday, April 03, 2006 1:44 AM
well i do know that i just want to know why and how to prevent it. ! thats why im asking about how i can get all three to work together GAS/CR/N20 what goes with what ... dont know if im making any sense ... like what has to change if my CR goes up or what changes is i use lets say 130 oct etc ...... heres my list again lets see what we can come up with ... 10.5:1 Forged pistons/eagle rods, Bearings , P&P head 2.3l Lo cams and mantapart valve springs. i have a Rksport header, ported intake manifold, CAI, Underdrive Pulley and Full Exhuast. 2.25 . im gonna buy a 62mm TB from Mantapart soon. anyways This is my setup... i want run a WET ZEX kit . im going to run 75 first to get used to it. im getting spark plugs 2 steps colder . ( ok what i dont know) ===== Oct gas for this set up or any type of retarding of time with this set up?? ====================================================================Separate question .. after im done playing with the 75 shot im going to be moving on to the 100 shot and maybe 125 ... what Gas/Timing retard should i use for the 100/125 keeping in mind of the high CR ?

this i what i think... here it goes == if i use 93 oct i have to retard the time more with the higher n20 shot i go with .. but if i use lets say race gas i retard the timing less ? hurmmm

Monday, April 03, 2006 2:24 AM
Quote:

this i what i think... here it goes == if i use 93 oct i have to retard the time more with the higher n20 shot i go with .. but if i use lets say race gas i retard the timing less ? hurmmm

I guess if you put it that way, yes but do you realize how expensive race gas is and how hard it is to come by? It's not logical to do something like that.

As far as what octane you would need or how much you need to retard, that's what you have to figure out...we can only lead you in the right direction.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search