Ecotec Spark Plug - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Spark Plug
Saturday, April 08, 2006 5:23 PM
I've seen all the posts about spark plugs on here, and everyone seems to recomend the TR6's, Autolite 103's, and SRT-4 plugs for Ecotecs on nitrous. It's already been pointed out that the TR6's and the Autolite 103's are shorter than the stock plugs. But I noticed that the SRT-4 plugs are the same heat range as the stock Ecotec's. It just doesn't seem to me like any of those plugs are a good choice for the Ecotec. So I talked to the tech guys at NGK and they recommended I use a NGK LTR6ix-11 (part #6509). All I've been able to do so far is look up the specs on the plug and it looks like a good match. It's the right length and one heat range colder. They also told me that the fact that it is an Iridium plug is not a problem and that Iridium performs as well, if not better, than copper with nitrous. I just ordered one to check it out...it should be here early this week. If anyone else could check this out that would be great. I'd really like to get another opinion on that plug.

Re: Ecotec Spark Plug
Saturday, April 08, 2006 10:54 PM
the Champion SRT4 plug is actually one step colder than the stock Ecotec plug. I looked at all the numbers and even called a few people who I knew who be able to help. The iridiums are also one step colder than stock for the Ecotec but many people, myself included, prefer a copper plug to iridium for nitrous and FI applications.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:19 PM
You may be right about the Champion SRT-4 plug. I was comparing the NGK stock Ecotec plug to the NGK stock SRT-4 plug. But why is it that you prefer a copper plug to an iridium plug for nitrous? From what I understand, an iridium plug should require less voltage to fire. Which should create a stronger, hotter spark for igniting the extra fuel/air mixture accompanied with forced induction. Iridium should also be more durable for those demanding conditions. Of course, I am speaking only from what I've learned from research. Personal experience may tell a different story. Just curious why you like copper better.
Sunday, April 09, 2006 11:03 PM
Just info on plugs.....(most already know)

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/nitrous-oxide-spark-plugs.htm

I do NGK iridiums myself.......as in NGK Tr6's or Tr7's or Tr8's.......
Most of the Honda guys I know use BKR7's or BKR8's which are also iridium's.

But aren't the plugs like Iridium with copper tips? Or vice versa? Which means we're all talking about the same thing?

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Monday, April 10, 2006 4:45 PM
I run copper because that's what I was trained and taught to use. I don't like to experiment with these exotic metal tips just because a company says it's better. If I ever decide to try it out I might see they work but until then I'll use what I know has works for TONS of years. IIRC the first plugs were copper so that tells you how long they've been in use vs. Iridiums and the other fun, new plugs. Nothing against them though. Some people, like Jamal and Suncavi, swear by Iridiums. Whatever you use just make sure it's the right size.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search