nitrous on a ecotec? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
nitrous on a ecotec?
Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:37 PM
is it safe to run nitrous on a 2.2 ecotec with stock internals

Re: nitrous on a ecotec?
Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:55 PM
you need to confirm that you ecu has an "open loop" mode of operation first.... 02's should be safe off the bat, some 03's, but some 03's and all 04-05's don't have open loop, meaning that they will doggedly pursue 15:1 a/f ratio, even with additional injection... So you can get a cheapie a/f gauge and see if the readout sweeps or not at WOT... if it sweeps, then you will not be safe using nitrous. If it goes green, then you will be fine. You can swap to an 02 ECU if necessary, pretty cheap in the junkyards.

DO NOT EVER RUN A DRY NITROUS SYSTEM. PERIOD.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Thursday, April 13, 2006 4:02 PM
Yes you can, look into the nitrous forum. Search around the org for a while, you will find a lot of info. Your 1/4 slip is pure BS too.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:25 PM
Why is his slip bs? I've seen a few stocker ecotecs running 15.2's... he's got an intake and... "greedy" exhaust which I take to mean GReddy... Giving him the benefit of the doubt saying he's got intake/exhaust and he's a decent/light driver, it's highly possible to pull 15.1's on a lightly modified 5spd Ecotec...

Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:35 PM
could i possibly tell weather or not my ecu is open loopby the pcm or ecu serial numbers? and the hell i dont run those times, ive done a lot of tweaking. plus i have 2 1/2 from the manifold back with no cat and an o2 sim. when i get my pos scanner running again ill post my slip along with some pics of my set up

Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:40 PM
i have an 04 cav that i ran nitrous on at the track last year, and it melted the 3rd spark plug in the mortor, so is it pretty safe to say that i dont have open loop, it also only ran a 15.1, would it be safe to run an 02 computer on my car and make my track times better

Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:12 PM
so with an open loop am i going to have to modify my air fuel ratio with a hand held control unit, or will it adjust its self?

Friday, April 14, 2006 7:58 AM
when i ran after about mid second gear my check engine light would flash, so im guessing thats why, i dont think theres any damage, everything still runs ok, but i want to get this fixed, is there any way a dealership can reflash the computer to the 02 specs, also is there any difference between the auto and manual computers, i might have a couple 03s that i can swap with

Friday, April 14, 2006 8:17 AM
Tim wrote:Why is his slip bs? I've seen a few stocker ecotecs running 15.2's... he's got an intake and... "greedy" exhaust which I take to mean GReddy... Giving him the benefit of the doubt saying he's got intake/exhaust and he's a decent/light driver, it's highly possible to pull 15.1's on a lightly modified 5spd Ecotec...

because his 1/8 is 10.7 which is absolutely horrible and in no way can you run a low 15 unless you run sub 10 1/8 miles, unless you have nitrous or something like that and you spray only after the 1/8 mile line

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Friday, April 14, 2006 11:53 AM
DanteMustDie wrote:
Tim wrote:Why is his slip bs? I've seen a few stocker ecotecs running 15.2's... he's got an intake and... "greedy" exhaust which I take to mean GReddy... Giving him the benefit of the doubt saying he's got intake/exhaust and he's a decent/light driver, it's highly possible to pull 15.1's on a lightly modified 5spd Ecotec...

because his 1/8 is 10.7 which is absolutely horrible and in no way can you run a low 15 unless you run sub 10 1/8 miles, unless you have nitrous or something like that and you spray only after the 1/8 mile line

Exactly, it say you trap 76 mph and 91 in the 1/4. BS dude, maybe if you had nitrous and sprayed after the 1/8 mark haha. Show me a video otherwise I am staying with the . What "Tweaking" Have you done

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Friday, April 14, 2006 11:57 AM
D@mn Dantemustdie, I quoted you before read your whole post. We think a like, weird.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier

Friday, April 14, 2006 5:35 PM
Scarab (Jersey Jay 1.8T) wrote:you need to confirm that you ecu has an "open loop" mode of operation first.... 02's should be safe off the bat, some 03's, but some 03's and all 04-05's don't have open loop, meaning that they will doggedly pursue 15:1 a/f ratio, even with additional injection... So you can get a cheapie a/f gauge and see if the readout sweeps or not at WOT... if it sweeps, then you will not be safe using nitrous. If it goes green, then you will be fine. You can swap to an 02 ECU if necessary, pretty cheap in the junkyards.

DO NOT EVER RUN A DRY NITROUS SYSTEM. PERIOD.

Are you 100% on this. I ask cause I got an 03 but with some 04 parts (late year 03), My a/f gauge gets burried at wot in the green and I don't have any problems while under spray. My concern comes in after once I discconected the vss and all my gauges still worked. I was under the impression that on an open loop ecu the gauges go out when thats disconnected (thats what I was told). So if you are 100% on this that would answer my question and I would infact have an open loop ecu.

Check out my cardomain Team Altered
BIG CHANGES
Saturday, April 15, 2006 4:02 PM
Fire Fighter wrote:
DanteMustDie wrote:

Exactly, it say you trap 76 mph and 91 in the 1/4. BS dude, maybe if you had nitrous and sprayed after the 1/8 mark haha. Show me a video otherwise I am staying with the . What "Tweaking" Have you done

oh ok, guys... I get it... I must have missed that 10.7 1/8 et... my bad...

Sunday, April 16, 2006 10:05 AM
No, it is not safe to run nitrous on an ecotec
dont do it.

The Only thing Gayer than my cavalier is the purple shade of its nitrous bottle
Sunday, April 16, 2006 2:01 PM
Brandon G wrote:No, it is not safe to run nitrous on an ecotec
dont do it.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, April 16, 2006 9:36 PM
99redz24 wrote:
Brandon G wrote:No, it is not safe to run nitrous on an ecotec
dont do it.

Hehe

Monday, April 17, 2006 2:21 PM
we used a stop watch and speed gun for the 1/8 since they dont have a sensor kit hooked up at the 1/8 mark, so it was kind of a guesstimation on the 1/8 but the 1/4 is right on, i even did another run 2 days ago on free race night when they had the 0-60 and 1/8 sensors hooked up also, and came out with 8.782 for the 1/8 and 15.189 for the 1/4. and now thats cleared up. back to the ACTUAL question?!

will an 02 ecu work in my 03, and will i have to have a plug and play system to adjust for more fuel?

Monday, April 17, 2006 8:49 PM
blaine smith wrote:we used a stop watch and speed gun for the 1/8 since they dont have a sensor kit hooked up at the 1/8 mark, so it was kind of a guesstimation on the 1/8 but the 1/4 is right on, i even did another run 2 days ago on free race night when they had the 0-60 and 1/8 sensors hooked up also, and came out with 8.782 for the 1/8 and 15.189 for the 1/4. and now thats cleared up. back to the ACTUAL question?!

will an 02 ecu work in my 03, and will i have to have a plug and play system to adjust for more fuel?

It might just be me but an 8.7 does not translate to a 15.1

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:09 AM
i missed 4th gear......and now to the actual question

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 5:27 AM
yeah seriously, this isint the racing fourm so lets forget about the racing part of the post, anyway, a buddy of mine just bought the hp tuners software for his 99 vette, and we found out that it can datalog by hooking the obd2 port into my computer, so we tried to run a shot last night with my car. first off its an 04 automatic, so from a stop i started spraying at 3 grand in first, the whole way thought first my air fuel stayed rich lean rich lean like it does an part throttle, after the first shift is stayed ok, but when it was staying rich lean rich lean my knock sensor was going crazy and my car pulled 8 degrees of timing to stop my car from knocking, so bottom line, if you have an 04-05 dont spray, also i have a question, whenever i let off and stopped spraying all my gauge lights came on for a second them went back off, anyone know what thats from and also will a 5 speed computer work in a auto car out of the 02-03 cavs

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:25 PM
you missed 4th gear lol, wow excellent driving seeing as how thats like the easiest shift in the gearbox

just get an 02 PCM and be done with it no point in all the guestimation with what you have use what you know will work

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, April 22, 2006 4:49 PM
blaine smith wrote:we used a stop watch and speed gun for the 1/8 since they dont have a sensor kit hooked up at the 1/8 mark, so it was kind of a guesstimation on the 1/8 but the 1/4 is right on, i even did another run 2 days ago on free race night when they had the 0-60 and 1/8 sensors hooked up also, and came out with 8.782 for the 1/8 and 15.189 for the 1/4. and now thats cleared up. back to the ACTUAL question?!

Your still lying, 8.7 in the 1/8 is good for a low-mid 13. I don't care if you missed 4th, your nearly stock eco isn't going to run anywhere close to 13's. I guess your mph was 85 in the 1/8 and 110 in the 1/4 right?

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 8:33 PM
all "your lying" & "no i'm nots" aside...if i put an 02 ecu on my 04 is it just plug and play? do i have to have anything adjusted in the ecu from the 02 before i put it into my 04? also, looking for one of the questions already asked - will the fuel ratio adjust itself once the new ecu is installed or will be have to adjust it externaly. i'l only planning on running 35-50 shot.

thanks in advance...

donnie

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 3:14 PM
Cant you reset the ecu ? I thought you can come to think of it.

Winks Online

Sunday, April 30, 2006 8:06 AM
will a 55 dry shot hurt an early 03 auto ?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search