nitrous add-ons - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
nitrous add-ons
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:22 AM
I'm looking into buying a NX Stage I EFI nitrous system sometime in the near future, and only running a 35 shot. But I don't know if need the add-ons. I know I'll have to get a nitrous pressure gauge to make sure it's safe to use it, but do I really need a bottle heater? I live in Houston (it's hot and humid as hell over here) and since my car is gutted out, the metal floor where the backseats used to be heats up a lil after awhile of driving. I was thinking of getting the blow down tube for safety, if it''s really worth it. But I don't know if I need the purge kit. And is the safety switch neccessary since I'll be only running nitrous for about 5 seconds at a time, and probably no more then 2 or 3 times a week.

So far.. getting the gauge for sure. Maybe getting the blow down tube and safety switch. Doubting to get the purge kit and bottle heater.

Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2208703

Re: nitrous add-ons
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 11:07 AM
The pressure gauge is a really good idea because then you can see how much you have left in the tank and see what operating pressure you are at, so it is a good thing you are getting that. The bottle warmer and purge help you get the extra "kick" out of your shot. The purge makes sure you are getting a pure shot and the heater will keep you at the right pressure. You should be faster with the upgrades, but I'm not sure the increase you would get with a 35 shot. Safety switch is an awesome idea no matter how long you stay engauged. If your fuel pressure gets too low while spraying, bad things can happen. You might also want to look into a window switch in case you miss a shift and hit the rev limiter. That could blow your motor, but again, I'm not sure what a 35 shot would do. The blow down tube is something I've never been worried about, but I guess if that rupture disk blew, you could probably get hurt from the cold ass n20.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:01 PM
What are the chances of me actually needing the blow down tube? And I have an automatic =/ .. but hey I have a performance torque converter waiting to be installed after memorial day. Yeah.. the safety switch is vital. But the bottle heater.. I don't really know if I need it since it's hot here. But in a few weeks I'll be deciding what to really get. If I'm low on money I'll just get the gauge and switch. But if I have cash flowing, then I'll just get the GenX II kit. Thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:41 PM
Quote:

What are the chances of me actually needing the blow down tube? And I have an automatic =/

having a blowdown tube has nothing to do with what tranny you have. a blowdown tube is a saftey device some tracks require you to have in order to use nitrous there. the rule at my drag track is if the bottle is in the passenger area, then you need the blowdown tube just in case that disk bursts so the gas can vented outside instead of inside the car. now if the bottle is in the trunk of the car. then you are fine. but you need some sort of barrier i.e. backseat or firewall

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:10 PM
I live in tennessee and in the middle of the day the bottle pressure seems to be right where its supposed to be. I plan on getting a bottle heater once i get the money to afford one. As for the purge, its not necessary, but like stated above it clears the line out of air so that only nitrous is being shot in. I dont have a blow down tube, but my bottle is also located in the trunk. Get the saftey switch, better to be safe, then end up with a blown motor.
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:46 PM
Noooo.. I told him I had an automatic so I woudn't need a window switch. Yeah I know a blow down tube has nothing to do with the transmission, but thanks anyways.

I will have to get the blow down tube because I don't have any backseats.

As for the purge, can I spray under my hood instead of outside my car? And would the purge be cool (temperature wise) when I spray it? And it'd do no harm to the engine bay right?

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:13 PM
Cool, no more like freezing. you can if you really want to but it is recomended that you purg into open atmosphere. Also part of the purge is so that you can see the cloud. Reason being is that you only purge till it's solid white then your good to go.

Winks Online

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 5:30 PM
Oh.. so would it be a bad thing to purge under my hood? And you'd still see the smoke cloud comming from the sides of my hood and my front bumper and underneath the car a bit, right?

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:20 PM
Since you dont have a back seat, you prolly need a blow down tube. As of right now my purge is under my hood and no way to vent out. I cant see any cloud of white smoke leaking out of the hood.
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:02 PM
Well that's good, keep it a secret better. Has it had any affect on your engine/engine bay or performance in any ways? Good, bad, or just out there? And where exactly is it under your hood? Facing what direction?

Sorry for asking so many questions, it's just I want to perfect my setup when I get it. But thanks for the help so far!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:15 PM

Thats my purge in my 2200. It points right towards the TB. Never had any problem. Thats an old pic, i now have a new AEM intake.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 10:34 PM
I see, thanks for the pic. I was thinking to put it right infront of my TB too, since mines is in the middle, except in the front part of the engine bay unlike the 2200. But hey, thanks a lot again! Everyone's input is much appreciated.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search