ZEX Misconceptions - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ZEX Misconceptions
Monday, August 28, 2006 1:25 PM
I have spent a lot of time researching nitrous lately (looking through old posts and such) and I just want to let people know the truth about Zex kits!

The most heard statement is that if the Zex NMU (Nitrous Management Unit) senses something wrong it will shut it self down.

This is False if you have the pedal to the floor and it is armed it is spraying!

If I hit the rev limiter it will shut off!

False if you hit the rev limiter with your foot on the floor it will continue to spray (which is especially bad with a dry kit)

The Zex kit will maintain a optium fuel ratio level.

True (kind of) it can to a small degree the more nitrous pressure the more fuel it will add (with both a wet kit or a dry) but it cannot make up for having to small of a fuel jet or the cars computer fighting it.

When it comes to dry kits zex is the safest.

False the Zex kit rasies the fuel pressure in a very crude fashion compaired to the NOS kit which has a Nitrous regulator to keep the pressure going to the FPR constant so it will not spike and ruin your FPR the zex can spike initally to over 100psi. The NOS kit also has a fuel pressure switch so at any time your fuel pressure goes below 50psi you nitrous will shut off.

There is probably more so please add if you wish!

Yes I do have a Zex kit and no I have not any problems with it.

I am not saying do not use zex kits I love how they are in one box and ready to go I just do not believe they are the safest!

Re: ZEX Misconceptions
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:49 AM
questions about this???

have you ever had something go wrong and zex still spray? cause my friend started knocking one time while spraying and zex quit... he ran lean and forgot to retard the timing...
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:48 AM
I have disassembled the Zex dry box all that is in the purple box is one large solenoid a brass distribution block and the electronic TPS switch there is no way the zex box could detect something like knock! The is nothing connected to the engine or exhaust to monitor a/f ratio and the little circuit board is only connected to the solenoid a power, ground, and TPS and none of those could tell the zex box if the engine was knocking or running lean.

Maybe your friend slighty lifted his foot from the pedal when I first got my unit calibrated to my TPS it was very touchy I had to make sure the pedal was pressed hard to the floor.

Also there is no fuel pressure switch to know if you have enough fuel pressure.

I was also suprised about the fact that the circut board was not coated or any thing so dont get any water in there or you will fry it.

It isn't magic there isn't anything in the box that can detect knock or the A/F ratio or know if you hit the rev limiter period.

If it could detect knock and or the A/F ratio and the rev limiter don't you think they would charge a lot more for it? Look at the NX FJO controller that is like 700+ dollars it monitors A/F and look how much it costs (I know it does other stuff too).
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:03 PM
why inthe world would you run dry kit anyway? isnt that just asking for trouble????
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:25 PM
Post-It wrote:why inthe world would you run dry kit anyway? isnt that just asking for trouble????

if your feul system is up to par and in great running order. then its not trouble

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:49 PM
I ran the zex dry kit to a 13.8 quarter mile.... but I also knew what I was doing.... its the people who put it on and run the car til it dies that shouldn't be spraying in the first place!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 12:15 AM
I also run a dry kit I have a upgraded fuel system including a Aeromotive FPR, 460cc injectors, and Hptuners.

I feel (my personal opinion) that wet kits (direct port is fine I am talking about single nozzle systems) are bad unless your manifold is made to flow fuel if not you are asking for trouble. Even if you don't have a nitrous backfire I believe with all of the curves that the nitrous and fuel have to go around (in a scroll type manifold I.E Ecotec style) the fuel will get knocked out of suspension and then your engine will run lean.

I am not saying no one should ever run a wet kit because there are plenty of people running them with no problems I just don't think it is the best way to inject everything.

Look at Mustangs there manifolds look different but inside they are pretty much the same they have a single entry point that feeds a chamber and then from that chamber there are the 8 cylinder runners (in our case 4) but the problem is the runners are on the same plane as the intake track so whatever goes in must make a 180 degree turn to go into the cylinders which is bad for a nitrous/fuel mixture. Look at NOS they don't even offer a 5.0L mustang wet kit using a single wet nozzle. They reccomend dry unless you run a plate kit there are guys running 200+ shots dry with upgraded injectors.

I am currently changing my nitrous kit I will running a 2 stage NOS setup at the track this Friday (as long as it doesn't rain) it uses 3 solenoids and there N20 regulator and 2 nozzles. I will be running a 50 shot in 1st and 2nd and then in third I will be flipping a switch that will bring in a second 50 shot we will see what that will do.
Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:26 PM
do you work for a competitor of Zex or something.

You'd have to be a no0b to not know those things you posted,

------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, September 03, 2006 8:33 PM
as long as it aint a venom kit. them i havent seen one good thing said about them ever.

Monday, September 04, 2006 9:04 AM
Post-It wrote:why inthe world would you run dry kit anyway? isnt that just asking for trouble????

You've obviously been misinformed about dry kits. It was even stated in the first post that they add the additional fuel needed through you stock injectors by raising the fuel pressure. A fuel pressure saftey switch is a great safety net in case you fuel pump is not up to task.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, September 18, 2006 7:13 PM
I still feel a dry kit (of any brand), is a bad thing on a J-body. If you have a mass air car then you can run a dry and get plenty of fuel. Also I feel Zex is the worse kit. I have seen dyno sheet on Zex cars and they are up and down, because it tries to adjust fuel pressure. I do not think our FPR is good enough for this. Also read of mainy J's with blown motors on Zex kits.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:41 AM
i always understood that a dry kit is like a timebomb...

***Need A Power Lock Switch?***

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:03 PM
I was told Dry kits are better if hooked up right. You have a much less chance of the fuel puddling, because your injectors are tuned to feed the right amount of fuel. what does a turbo do? pushes more air. dry nitrous pushes more air(nitrous). You don't add fuel with the turbo......Boom!!! Those that use a dry kit without adjusting fuel......Boom!!!!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:48 AM
I like the way you think. Did anybody read bball's 100 shot boom thread a while back???fuel puddling in the intake = the suck. As long as the fuel enrichment methods used in dry kits are getting the motor the neccesary fuel, there is nothing wrong with them.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 11:56 AM
doesnt the zex plumb that goes into the intake take care of this.... so i read...

***Need A Power Lock Switch?***

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:03 PM
ya there is a vacuum line that hooks upto your fuel reg. this raises fuel pressure.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:10 PM
i gotta say I am quite happy with my zex kit. I had 0 problemes with it. I know Venom offers FULL computerized kits that do hook up to the ECU and can be controlled by a palm pilot or a dvd in dash... pretty good stuff
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search