Nitrogen Assisted Nitrous Oxide a.k.a. NANO - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Nitrogen Assisted Nitrous Oxide a.k.a. NANO
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:29 PM
Well i have been researching around and found a product that before had only heard about, Nitrogen Assisted Nitrous Oxide or NANO. I had been researching for some bottle heaters and a couple pressure guages and then ran into this. One of my buddies talked about putting it on his trans am but i never really thought that this was actually going to become a product.
NANO
From that site they claim that it will give a desired HP throughout your whole powerband, ive never actually seen it installed on a vehicle in person but i grasp the concept of it being that nitrogen fills the bottle therefore making the nitrous gas escape. they claim an unreal powerband, but through some videos and installs i saw on a different forum they are not hard to believe. I was thinking of maybe getting a setup, and from what it looks like it slaps to your current bottle only if you have the correct valve along with syphon tube. If this is true then that means that the days of bottle heaters and the wait for your bottle to reach correct pressure for a run at the track are over, now im guessing you can hot lap your car not having to worry about pressure build up. What do you guys think?

Re: Nitrogen Assisted Nitrous Oxide a.k.a. NANO
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:23 PM
Sounds legit,I looked at the site.One question though,I wonder how much it costs to refill the nitrogen bottle???I still think overall cost is cheaper with a heater,in fact I have two heaters.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:11 PM
in this situation you would have in one hand hot lapping your car with nano and on the other having to wait everytime you run to build up oressure in the bottle. I guess in my eyes it would be worth having the ability to hotlap if you buy the kit, and the most expensive part would be the kit itself and filling up the bottle would cost you maybe twentty bucks more because it looks a third of the size of a standard 10 pounder.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:40 PM
Why do you have to wait because you have a heater? We've hotlaped my buddies Civic for 3 hours before and he has a normal DP nitrous setup on his car. He just has to make sure to purge his lines before every run to keep things consistent. Swap bottles when one runs out, heat it up and go. No waiting between runs at all, except for the bottle changes.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:02 PM
Quote:

What do you guys think?

Interesting...

btw, your sig's out of size specs

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:36 AM
Quite interesting... but in my opinion for the cash I would spend getting that extra system I'd prefer to upgrade my current to a DP and get some other accessories.... but hey if it works for you go for it =)

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:26 AM
Quote:

Why do you have to wait because you have a heater?

well im not talking about a half an hour or more wait, i do have a heater on my bottle and whenever i make a run i at least have to wait five to ten minutes for the bottle to reach around 1000 psi and purge at the line to get the pressure back down to 950 or so. I was just stating that it would be awesome to make a pass and then come back and line back up to make another one and go.

Quote:

btw, your sig's out of size specs

yeah sorry about that, i uploaded some pics and profile went crazy but its fixed. thanks for the heads up.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:36 AM
i cant imagine it being THAT great. i mean constant pressure is what it is shooting for, but then you are burning useless nitrogen. the oxygen is what n2o really brings to the party.

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:42 AM
well from what i understand it feeds the nitrogen into the bottle through the top, therefore pushing the n2o towards the bottom where the pick up is at. there is also a gauge that lets you know when the nitrogen is out, therefore meaning that the nitrous is out also.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:31 AM
Waste of money.

Built, bottled, ready for 11s. 14.446@93.74mph, 1.848 60' N/A.
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:15 PM
Luis Marroquin wrote:well from what i understand it feeds the nitrogen into the bottle through the top, therefore pushing the n2o towards the bottom where the pick up is at. there is also a gauge that lets you know when the nitrogen is out, therefore meaning that the nitrous is out also.

yea but eventualy you are gonna run out of both meaning that you are uselessly burning nitrogen. so therefor you get some wasted energy as well.

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:36 PM
Owen wrote:Waste of money.

Depending on the application, probably not.

Here's the issue for those who are missing it.

1st, a properly working system is flowing liquid nitrous, not gas.

As the liquid in the bottle is used, bottle pressure tries to drop. The pressure drop causes the Nitrous to boil (vaporize) until the pressure is high enough to stop it from boiling. This boiling takes heat to happen and that heat is being sucked out of the bottle and the nitrous in the bottle. The bottle and nitrous cool and the colder it is, the less pressure it takes to stop it from boiling. So bottle pressure drops. As the bottle warms back up, more nitrous will vaporize to take up the empty space and raise the pressure

A bottle heater can be used to try and combat this, but there are no bottle heaters on the market that are strong enough to do it as quick as it happens. The pressure drop/cooling happens in less than a second (almost instantly, depend on 'shot' size) while the heater will take many minutes to catch up after the nitrous stops being used. While its being used the heater can not keep up at all.

Also, because the nitrous is vaporizing to take up the space, the amount that vaporizes is basically 'lost' as it will never be used to make power in the engine, instead only filling the vapor space in the bottle.

This system can work well because it uses Nitrogen gas to fill the void and keep the pressure in the tank above the boiling point of the nitrous, so no nitrous turn to vapor. Since none turns to vapor, every bit of the nitrous can be used to power the engine. Next, the nitrogen will keep the bottle pressure consistant at all times, even during use. This means that full power will available at all times, no matter how long the system is on, until the nitrous is all gone.

The result from using this system will be consistant full power during any run, and a better use of all the available nitrous till the body is really empty. So having a bottle with 1-2 lbs left will be just a consistant as a new bottle.

sig not found
Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:10 PM
What you say makes sense... but you can combat the problems via better methods. A bottle has 33% of sweet nitrous... aka full pressure makes top horsepower. This system in theory provides 100% sweet nitrous. Just keeping your bottle topped up, using multiple bottles, and using larger bottles (two 15lb bottles would cost ~$500 and give the same amount of sweet nitrous compared to Nano) give you more sweet nitrous and for less $$$ than NANO which costs more than a typical wet kit. The average joe doesnt need it, the heavy users do smarter things that don't contaminate their nitrous system.

Besides, who the hell uses nitrous more than 30 seconds at a time... you'd blow out your floorpan </sarcasm>

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:01 PM
The nano system is a very good bang for the buck. The reason they call it nitrogen assisted nitrous oxide is because air is 78% nitrogen. They actually recommend you to use compressed air. It usually costs 2-5 dollars to have the nano bottle filled. If anyone on here has a 150 shot or above you know that after the first pass it doesnt come on as hard and you can tell there is a power drop-off. Using the nano you will use everybit of the bottle, and everytime you hit the spray it feels the same and stays that way through the run, not to mention you use every bit of the bottle. I have a freind that has had awesome results with this system. Heres a link to his video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PEpyy_sc4PQ
Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:37 PM
Thanks for clearing that up ivylinc, i had read something on their site about using compressed air but i thought that i had just read it wrong or that they werent referring to the system itself. That really makes sense and im really thinking about purchasing this kit. if i do i will post up some results.

Friday, July 27, 2007 11:58 AM
Owen wrote:What you say makes sense... but you can combat the problems via better methods. A bottle has 33% of sweet nitrous... aka full pressure makes top horsepower. This system in theory provides 100% sweet nitrous. Just keeping your bottle topped up, using multiple bottles, and using larger bottles (two 15lb bottles would cost ~$500 and give the same amount of sweet nitrous compared to Nano) give you more sweet nitrous and for less $$$ than NANO which costs more than a typical wet kit. The average joe doesnt need it, the heavy users do smarter things that don't contaminate their nitrous system.

Besides, who the hell uses nitrous more than 30 seconds at a time... you'd blow out your floorpan

Maybe you do not understand what the chart is saying. If you watch the video or read the chart you will see that they are saying with a 10lb system stock you only get four 10sec runs at 180hp. With NANO you get almost eight 10sec runs at 180hp. They are not saying that you hold the button down for 30sec. Maybe they should make a new chart for dummy's.
Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:26 PM
ivylinc wrote:
Owen wrote:What you say makes sense... but you can combat the problems via better methods. A bottle has 33% of sweet nitrous... aka full pressure makes top horsepower. This system in theory provides 100% sweet nitrous. Just keeping your bottle topped up, using multiple bottles, and using larger bottles (two 15lb bottles would cost ~$500 and give the same amount of sweet nitrous compared to Nano) give you more sweet nitrous and for less $$$ than NANO which costs more than a typical wet kit. The average joe doesnt need it, the heavy users do smarter things that don't contaminate their nitrous system.

Besides, who the hell uses nitrous more than 30 seconds at a time... you'd blow out your floorpan

Maybe you do not understand what the chart is saying. If you watch the video or read the chart you will see that they are saying with a 10lb system stock you only get four 10sec runs at 180hp. With NANO you get almost eight 10sec runs at 180hp. They are not saying that you hold the button down for 30sec. Maybe they should make a new chart for dummy's.

Maybe we should make these posts easier for dummys, LIKE YOU NOT OWEN, to read. You obviously missed the "[/sarcasm]" on the end of his post smartass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 28, 2007 5:26 PM

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:26 PM
I still find it amusing about how its a good bang for the buck.... design your nitrous system properly... and the $600 gimmick wont help at all.

But then again, who am I to comment on nitrous related @!#$.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 7:22 AM
Owen wrote:I still find it amusing about how its a good bang for the buck.... design your nitrous system properly... and the $600 gimmick wont help at all.

But then again, who am I to comment on nitrous related @!#$.

There is no way to design a system that will change the physical characteristics of nitrous and its pressure drop while being used.
This (NANO) system will make ANY nitrous system dead-on consistent all the time till the bottle runs out or the nitrogen runs low.
Using Heaters and multiple bottles only work half as well at attempting the same thing.
So know matter how "proper" you "design" your nitrous system, it would always be an improvement.

I hardly find that a gimmick.

I do find the claim of "compressed air" goofy though. I don't know anyone that has a compressor that can do 2500 psi to fill the little bottle with.

Also, filling the little bottle will only cost about $10 at a welding shop.

If I was interested in racing competatively using nitrous, I would buy this in a heartbeat.

sig not found
Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:17 AM
If fully agree with protomec.

IMHO......

Nitrogen push does one thing that can't be done with a bottle heater. The nitrous bottle pressure/ air fuel ratio will remain constant through out run(s), until the bottle is virtually empty.

It's not a gimmick, but heavier due to the 2nd bottle required, than a bottle heater. Cascading two nitrous bottles is a crutch which is resolved with nitrogen push. All cascading multiple bottles does is delay the onset of nitrous pressure drop through a run.

Heaters do take time to bring the pressure back up. I run a bigger jets than most on here, so I know depending on bottle fill level, and ambient temperature it can take 20 minutes, or more to build pressure. This issue doesn't exist with nitrogen push.

When I messed with this 18 months ago, I used a 4,500psi CF nitrogen paint ball bottle as the push bottle.

The problem is it's not, (or wasn't) NHRA legal to use in competition. Some guys run a second 10lb nitrous bottle and it looks like a cascading set-up. I don't mind the pressure drop (going rich) so much, thus I've not run a push set up at the track, but I do have all parts to install it. I'm thinking the track tech guys might lose their minds if they figure out the small CF bottle is 4,500psi though.

Owen, perhaps you've seen some pics of my 2.3 Q4 setup. (Direct Port, Heater, Controller, DIS2, Wide Band 02, etc.).

I did all my background investigation/ learning on nitrogen push on the LS1tech forums, had the CF bottle, bought some parts, and hooked it up.

You're right though, an excess for most people, unless you're controlling big shots of nitrous, or bracket racing with nitrous.

I do both, so using it is very ineteresting to me.

Project S-Bird
Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:26 AM
The funny thang is, is they dont use nitrogen! They tell you to fill the bottle with compressed AIR. Yes it is NHRA certified call them and ask them. The nano tank uses 4500psi! There is a lot of places that fill these bottles like scuba shops, fire extinguisher places, paintball shops, etc. It costs 2-5 dollars to have the nano bottle filled and it only weighs 7lbs.

Friday, August 03, 2007 12:26 PM
yeah i read that after i posted!

Friday, August 03, 2007 11:18 PM
Oh I'm so in....

Jbodyho, perhaps you can share some of your links and pics.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 4:44 PM
Actually I just went out and looked at my bottle which is from NOS.

See that bolt on the side? I wonder if I could just take a nitrogen tank for paintball with valve of its own and run it into there with, say, a -4AN line.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 6:39 PM
Curious though,it says 3000 psi on that bolt,didn't the guy above say that his nitrogen
tank was pushin 4500 psi,I am still interested in some sort of homemade setup,let me know
if you come up with somethin'

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search