Nitrous Location ILLEGAL - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Nitrous Location ILLEGAL
Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:19 AM
Ok i have my nitrous bottle located Behind my driver seat. I was told by some people that it is illegal to have it located there and if the cops see it they will immediatly impound my car and give me a bunch of fines. But if i tell them i use it for track only or something like that will they still give me trouble?

Re: Nitrous Location ILLEGAL
Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:29 AM
Call your police department and ask...

Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:36 AM
+1. All depends on what your local laws are.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 2:15 PM
just keep a jacket over the bottle or something.
i know a lot of tracks require a blow down tube if the bottle is in the passenger capartment

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:02 PM
In illinios you cant have the bottle connected.......ur area may be different so look into it.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:39 PM
K i will, i live in indiana.
Tuesday, October 09, 2007 10:19 AM
What is legal on the street vs. track are 2 different things.

A blow down tube for track has nothing to do with street, but you should have one anyway.

In a variety of ways of thinking about it, any nitrous on the street can be illegal.

On a federal level, the most basic rule I can think of to make a bottle illegal is that vehicles carrying high pressure tanks are required to have those square 'nonflammable gas" placards on the sides of the car.

I'm sure there are many other ways that it can be thought of as illegal, especially when individual state laws are factored in.

But I just say hide it.

sig not found
Tuesday, October 09, 2007 10:25 AM
In Maine it is Illegal to have it connected while on the street. So I gotta say I'm with the guy who said just check your local laws. I am deleting my rear seat in my mustang for weight, and planned to move the bottles into the back seat area, but when I found out that the cops will most likely give me crap about it, I just decided, since my switches are all hidden under the ash tray cover, I might as well just leave the bottles hidden in the trunk to prevent hastle. That might be your best bet.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 11:16 AM
On one hand, they could get you for transporting a hazardous material/substance without the proper permits. But that could apply to the bottle being in the trunk as well. If they notice there's nitrous in your lines (race-ready) they could make an argument that you've been street racing. It's a very "gray" area.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 3:40 PM
ive had cops come up to me at car shows and comment on my bottle in my trunk, they ask if i use it on the street, i politely say no. which they know is BS lol but come on now, i dont even use it at all YET. they tell me the bottle must be unhooked from the line to drive on the street, well thats the law here in iowa anyways. thats all they told me, im sure there's something about having a bottle with nitrous INSIDE it on the street as well.

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:52 PM
yeah, that's the same as maine's law i mentioned before. im willing to bet that quite a few states do it that way. if it isn't hooked up at the bottle, it isn't illegal on the street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, October 12, 2007 8:53 PM

KevinP (Stabby McShankyou) wrote:not funny... i just can't find that funny... not with 2 copies of the Candyland board game on your shelf.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 6:13 PM
I know at certain tracks in Mi. if the bottle is in the drivers compartment it has to vented to the outside,ie;blowdown tube.I was pulled over once and the cop just asked me about it and I just told him it was unhooked and he never checked.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Saturday, October 13, 2007 7:10 PM
i would just put it in the trunk . no matter what cop you ask they will tell you its illegal . i even had one tell me its" flammable "even though right on the bottle it says its not lol! basically any law enforcement doent like it . i had aclose call once i was pulled over by a state trooper with the bottle on and the pressure guage right in the front reading 1000 psi . i thought i was screwed but he never said anything luckly .just a dumb mistake .

13's or blowning it. wayhttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/slowfire99/100_0463.jpg
Sunday, October 14, 2007 12:37 PM
blow down tube is required at most tracks, whether it is in the trunk or in the passenger compartment.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 7:03 PM
color me dumb, but wtf is a blow down tube and how do u hook it up?

Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:27 AM
z yaaaa wrote:color me dumb, but wtf is a blow down tube and how do u hook it up?

a search turned up this picture

its that long skinny tube coming from the bottle. if the bottle pressure gets to high, a disk burts and vents all the gas into the tube and out the car

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:04 PM
i dont know if my source has any credit to it but i live in ontario, canada and my buddy told me that Nitrous is now legal and is considered a "passing assistant".
again just what i've heard don't take my word on it
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:55 AM
To get in trouble for carrying nitrous without placards the car would have to contain more than 10 pounds of actual nitrous oxide.

I gotta know this @!#$ now. LOL.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:36 PM
bryan schooley wrote:i dont know if my source has any credit to it but i live in ontario, canada and my buddy told me that Nitrous is now legal and is considered a "passing assistant".

i cant possibly see that being true. if the car in front of you is going slow enough that you need to pass it, you dont need nitrous to do it.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, November 29, 2007 10:40 PM
see thats what i thought, but would be kewl now wouldn't it.
Saturday, February 09, 2008 8:58 PM
bryan schooley wrote:i dont know if my source has any credit to it but i live in ontario, canada and my buddy told me that Nitrous is now legal and is considered a "passing assistant".

Um. You obviously live under a rock. It's now federally/provincially prohibited to have a loaded nitrous system, hooked up or not. Disconnected AND empty is the only way to save your bacon (basically, show-only). Very recent law that was just passed.

Otherwise, kiss your car goodbye.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.

Saturday, February 09, 2008 9:12 PM
So what are you supposed to do, walk the bottle home after you fill it? Seriously now...

Here in Ontario, you may have the bottle in the car, just not hooked up, I know this for a FACT.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:04 AM
I will dig up the act.

Bottle MUST be empty unless specifically exempted for certain events by L.E.

I'll go dig up the laws for you.

--------------------------------------------------------
2002 Sunfire -->
- Ractive steering wheel
- ASA 17" EM9 + Nexen N5000 215/45/17 (steelies for winter)
- D-Spec Lowering kit @ 1.4" (issues currently )
- Rockford P250.1 + MTX MZS1004 + Panasonic CQ-C8313U head unit
- Barely legal tint.
Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:31 AM
I spoke to 2 police officers 2 weeks ago about this, they state that here in Ontario, it is NOT illegal to have a full bottle of nitrous in your vehicle as long as 2 things are followed, it is not attached to the main line and the bottle cannot be easily reached by the drivers seat, as well as ofcourse the bottle is securely attached to the vehicle. (ie bottle mounts)

Sunday, March 02, 2008 8:03 AM
THIS IS JUST IN ONTARIO I KNOW THIS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND GOING OVER THIS ALMOST EVERY TIME I GO TO THE TRACK OR COMING BACK FROM TRACK BECAUSE WE HAVE TO DRIVE RIGHT PAST ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE STATION JUST OUTSIDE OG CAYUGA ( ONTARIO PROVINCIAL POLICE = STATE TROOPER)
Measures against street racing

172.1 (1) If a police officer has reason to believe that a person is driving, or has driven, a motor vehicle on a highway in a race, the officer may,

(a) request that the person surrender his or her driver's licence;

(b) order the motor vehicle that was being driven by the person to be impounded; or

(c) both request the surrender of the driver's licence as provided in clause (a) and order the motor vehicle to be impounded as provided in clause (b).

Licence suspension

(2) A person who receives a request under clause (1) (a) or (c) shall forthwith surrender his or her driver's licence to the police officer and, whether or not the person is unable or fails to surrender the licence to the police officer, the licence is suspended and invalid for any purpose for a period of 48 hours from the time the request is made, subject to subsection (3).

Out-of-province licences

(3) If the driver's licence is issued by another jurisdiction, it is not suspended, but the person's privilege to drive a motor vehicle in Ontario is suspended for 48 hours and subsections (7) to (15) apply as if the suspension of the privilege were the suspension of a driver's licence.

Vehicle impoundment

(4) Upon giving an order to impound a motor vehicle, as described in subsection (8), to the driver of the motor vehicle, the motor vehicle shall, at the cost of and risk to the owner,

(a) be removed to an impound facility as directed by a police officer; and

(b) be impounded for 48 hours.

Release of vehicle

(5) Subject to subsection (12), the motor vehicle shall be released to its owner from the impound facility upon the expiry of the period of impoundment.

Early release of vehicle

(6) Despite an order to impound being made under this section, a police officer may order that the motor vehicle be released to the owner before the expiry of the 48 hours if the officer is satisfied that the motor vehicle was stolen at the time that it was driven on a highway in a race.

Duty of officer re licence suspension

(7) Every officer who asks for the surrender of a licence under this section shall keep a written record of the licence received with the name and address of the person and the date and time of the suspension and, at the time of receiving the licence, shall provide the licensee with a written statement of the time from which the suspension takes effect, the length of the period during which the licence is suspended and the place where the licence may be recovered.

Duty of officer re impoundment

(8) Every officer who orders that a motor vehicle be impounded under this section shall keep a written record of the motor vehicle impounded with the name and address of the driver and the date and time of the impoundment and, at the time of the impoundment, shall provide the driver with a written order that includes a statement of the time from which the impoundment takes effect, the length of the period during which the motor vehicle is impounded and the place where the vehicle may be recovered.

No appeal or review

(9) There is no appeal or review from a licence suspension or impound order under this section.

Removal of vehicle

(10) If the motor vehicle of a person whose licence is suspended under this section is at a location from which, in the opinion of a police officer, it should be removed and there is no person available who may lawfully remove the vehicle, the officer may remove and store the vehicle or cause it to be removed and stored, in which case the officer shall notify the person whose licence is suspended of the location of the storage.

Lien for costs

(11) The costs incurred in moving and storing a vehicle under subsection (10) and the costs incurred by the person who operates the impound facility where a vehicle is impounded under this section are a lien on the vehicle that may be enforced under the Repair and Storage Liens Act.

Payment of costs

(12) The person who operates the impound facility where a motor vehicle is impounded under subsection (4) or stored under subsection (10) is not required to release the motor vehicle until the removal and impound costs for the vehicle have been paid.

Other proceedings and penalties

(13) The suspension of a licence or an order to impound a motor vehicle under this section is intended to safeguard the driver and the public and to promote compliance with this Act and does not constitute an alternative to any proceeding or penalty arising from the same circumstances or around the same time.

Forms

(14) The Minister may require that forms approved by the Minister be used for any purpose of this section.

Regulations

(15) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations,

(a) prescribing the criteria that a police officer shall take into consideration in order to be satisfied that a person has driven a motor vehicle on a highway in a race;

(b) requiring police officers to keep records with respect to licence suspensions and impound orders under this section for a specified period of time and to report specified information with respect to licence suspensions and impound orders to the Registrar and governing such records and reports;

(c) exempting any class of persons or class of vehicles from any provision of this section or of any regulation made under this section, prescribing conditions for any of the exemptions and prescribing different requirements for different classes of persons or vehicles.

2. Part X of the Act is amended by adding the following section:

Nitrous oxide fuel systems prohibited

172.2 (1) No person shall drive or permit to be driven on a highway a motor vehicle equipped with a nitrous oxide fuel system unless,

(a) the part of the nitrous oxide fuel system comprising the canister, bottle, tank or other store of nitrous oxide is completely disconnected from the other parts of the system;

(b) the disconnection can be observed by looking at the interior or exterior of the motor vehicle; and

(c) the disconnected parts cannot be reconnected from the driver or passenger seats.

Sample inspection

(2) A police officer exercising his or her powers under section 82 may take or cause to be taken a sample of any substance from a motor vehicle to determine whether or not the motor vehicle contains nitrous oxide.

Seizure and disposal of nitrous oxide

(3) A police officer exercising his or her powers under section 82 may,

(a) remove nitrous oxide, or the part of the nitrous oxide fuel system comprising the canister, bottle, tank or other store of nitrous oxide, from a vehicle and dispose of them, or cause their removal and disposal, at the cost and risk of the driver and owner, who are jointly and severally liable; or

(b) order the driver or owner of the vehicle to remove nitrous oxide, or the part of the nitrous oxide fuel system comprising the canister, bottle, tank or other store of nitrous oxide, from a vehicle and dispose of them appropriately.

Deemed service

(4) Service of an order under clause (3) (b) to the driver of the vehicle shall be deemed to be service on the owner of the vehicle.

Offence

(5) Every person who contravenes or fails to comply with subsection (1) or an order of a police officer under clause (3) (b) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both.

Sample analysis

(6) The Minister may authorize any person or class of persons to analyze a sample of a substance taken under subsection (2) at the request of a police officer.

Evidence

(7) In any proceeding instituted under this Act, a certificate of analysis of a substance, in a form approved by the Minister, that is issued and signed by a person authorized under subsection (6) is proof, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, of the facts stated in it and of the authority of the person signing the certificate to make the analysis, without other proof of his or her authorization.

Forms

(8) The Minister may require that forms approved by the Minister be used for any purpose of this section.

Regulations

(9) The Lieutenant Governor in Council may make regulations exempting any class of persons or vehicles from any requirement or provision of this section, prescribing conditions for any of the exemptions and prescribing different requirements for different classes of persons or vehicles

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search