DIRECT-PORT -what manifold would you use? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
DIRECT-PORT -what manifold would you use?
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:47 PM
With all the discussion going on about the HO mainfold dyno results and such,I thought I'd see if we could get
an informative discussion in this forum.

Which manifold do you guys prefer for single fogger systems and for direct-port setups?.I have the HO mani. with a single fogger and I think the stock plastic 2.4 mani. was better suited,however for direct-port I think
the LO and HO are two of the best to use.Any thoughts?

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"

Re: DIRECT-PORT -what manifold would you use?
Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:46 AM
I'd go with stock 2.4 mani on both setups, with ho mani you loose power so I don't see any point of using it unless you had a built motor and that was reving to 8k than it would be worth having this mani.
Thursday, December 06, 2007 4:44 PM
Mastin's dyno had to many variables to accurately say that the HO mani causes a loss of power.But possibly on a NA motor it does,I am talking about nitrous.I would rather run a tap into alum. than plastic for a DP setup.

Friday, December 07, 2007 12:07 AM
Well i was getting ready to start working on my 2.3 mani for a dp setup but once i read Mastin's post it kind screwed up my plans, as for taping alum or plastic i think i would tap into plastic just in case i @!#$ up i can always buy a 2.4 mani for cheap. But then again 2.3 mani with DP would look nice as hell.
Friday, December 07, 2007 12:42 PM
Yeah,Skillz setup is what makes me want to do the DP on the HO.But I may sell the kit and put it towards the S/C kit

Saturday, December 08, 2007 11:25 AM
I'm actually looking into the nozzle system for the cavfire... bypass the manifold altogether... lol...

And Biggsz, I'm definately gonna work on hittin them numbers u said I should soon =D... little setback, but I got my head on straight now and strivin to get things done

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Saturday, December 08, 2007 12:36 PM
I would NEVER put a nitrous system on a plastic manifold if I didn't have to, I've seen too many off them bust for my comfort.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Saturday, December 08, 2007 1:33 PM
CavFire Jake wrote:I'm actually looking into the nozzle system for the cavfire... bypass the manifold altogether... lol...

And Biggsz, I'm definately gonna work on hittin them numbers u said I should soon =D... little setback, but I got my head on straight now and strivin to get things done

Hmm.nozzle system?I'm curious as to how that setup works/looks,any links or pics?And yeah I see you hitting 13's very soon.I would have been in the high 14's with a diferent tire setup and without a 15-20mph headwind,lol.

Joey:I haven't heard about anyones stock mani blowing off ,yet,but a few who have blown their stock air intakes apart.There is the thread way back somewhere in this forum with nitrous install pics and I remeber the one that showed a DP setup on a stock 2.4 mani.It looked ok but IDK if I would trust it.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 1:37 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:Joey:I haven't heard about anyones stock mani blowing off ,yet,but a few who have blown their stock air intakes apart.There is the thread way back somewhere in this forum with nitrous install pics and I remeber the one that showed a DP setup on a stock 2.4 mani.It looked ok but IDK if I would trust it.

I know of two people personally.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Saturday, December 08, 2007 3:48 PM
venom manifold

Saturday, December 08, 2007 3:51 PM
z yaaaa wrote:venom manifold

Yes DP on the Venom would look hot BUT you had better tap it right the first time,LOL

Saturday, December 08, 2007 5:39 PM
Here ya go Biggsz =) The idea is instead of tappin ur manifold, u unplug ur injector, place the nozzle there and then install the injector into the nozzle, so the n2o & fuel spray with the injector directly into the engine. I just need to run numbers and see how much this whole setup gonna cost me to upgrade, lol...

http://www.nitrousdirect.com/direct-port-nitrous-kit.html

Saturday, December 08, 2007 6:06 PM
OMG I love that kit,finally a kit without having to tap,this way I can focus on making my HO mani. all pretty like everyoe else.lol.Seriously though,I am def. going to look into this.Just wondering what tire setup you had when you ran that 14.2?I know I am running about the same shot as you but I am heavier and an auto.

Saturday, December 08, 2007 8:45 PM
Holy @!#$ its $220 for the DP Nozzles from that kit, thats sweet I don't have to tap my mani. I'm def going with this.
Monday, December 10, 2007 7:49 PM
Remember our injectors actually go in the head, it is a little tighter space, would they fit in there?

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:13 PM
I'd like to know as well

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:36 PM
well once I can get my finances straightened out I'm gonna be investing in 4 to start working on it with hte extra fuel rail I have to test on.... so I'll be able to let everybody know soon as I can.... hopefully, lol

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:03 PM
Yeah I might call them and ask them if those will work on the 2.4 rail,seeing that they don't even offer a 4cyl kit ,i am wondering.

Monday, December 24, 2007 6:35 AM
biggs, did you ever call them? just wondering.

Monday, December 24, 2007 7:12 AM
No, I think I am selling the kit here very quickly,time to go the boosted route.It is getting a little expensive on the refills and even though I went from a 16.7 to a 15.2 with a 75-80 shot,my goal is high 13's and I know boost and some bolt-on's will get me there.

Monday, December 24, 2007 7:28 AM
Cool, best of luck

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 3:08 PM
2.3 manifold --- aluminum, minimum 1/8" thick casting
2.4 manifold --- plastic, 2mm thick walls
Venom or fabricated manifold --- aluminum, 16/18ga wall thickness

The thick walls of the 2.3 are good enough to mount injectors to without risk of coming loose or cracking. Since its also aluminum, if something special was wanted, as in the case of my car, easy to weld up and make what you want.

The 2.4 is too thin to thread more than 2 solid threads. It can be done, but long term durability isn't there. The only option to fix that or make changes is, pretty much literally, JB Weld.

A fabricated manifold would be almost as bad as the plastic for threads, but its still better, It could also be welded on even easier than the 2.3 manifold.

A NOZZLE system is not well suited for our cars. 1st, it is designed to be used on cars where the rail bolts are parallel to the injectors so that all you need is longer bolts and spacers to bolt everything back together.
2.3/2.4 rails bolt on perpendicular to the injectors and would have to be cut and welded to bolt back on after the install.
And yes, there are unknown clearance issues with the injectors being in pockets in the head.

sig not found
Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:40 PM
Good info Todd,I figured the system from nitrous direct wouldn't work on our cars but Skillz HO setup is what I would have wanted to do if I wasn't planning on boosting.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 10:50 PM
Nitrous Express makes the NXL direct port kit that fits like the link above. You just need to use grommets to hold the adaptors in. I have the NXL kit installed now and like it.

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:40 PM
OD1 Z24 wrote:Nitrous Express makes the NXL direct port kit that fits like the link above. You just need to use grommets to hold the adaptors in. I have the NXL kit installed now and like it.

Could you post some pics up?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search