Nitrous on a Hybrid - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Nitrous on a Hybrid
Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:21 PM
Anybody know of anyone who's sprayed their hybrid? (2.3 086 head and 2.4 bottom end) Been thinking about it if I ever get that far with this thing. I'm thinking a direct port setup mounted under the h.o. mani's runners would be the @!#$. Ran a 350 at school on 10.8 comp with a wet 50 shot and actually saw about a 75-100 hp increase on the dyno. Thats what lit the fire. With my motor being 11:1 (or somewhere around there, done trying to figure it out), in theory should be more efficient, higher volumetric efficiency. 0 leakdown on all cylinders, before and after the head swap. Any info would be great. Thanks guys.

Re: Nitrous on a Hybrid
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 10:19 AM
idk but i plan on doing the same thing 086 witch i have 3 onto my 2.4 but i was going to ask you

Do you have a header on your car?

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 11:01 AM
No header. Just port matched the HO manifold's ports and smoothed the inside as much as far as i could reach from bothe ends. The only header i know available for the quad 4 was Stan's header which is pretty hard to get a hold of. Best bet would be to get one custom made or weld a new flange onto say a pacesetter header to get it to mate up. Heard there was a guy on here that made them. Will go either of these routes when the time comes. As far as i know the HO flows pretty well for a decent amount of power. Hope that helps.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 4:14 PM
N20 LOVES high comp, Direct port would be great.

make shure you tune it for it.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:08 PM
Great thanks, Chris. Yeah still need a BASE tune for a hybrid. Right now i have manifold and high idle problems. Working through things one at a time. Just needed to know for when there's light at the end of the tunnel for this thing.

Friday, September 05, 2008 1:03 PM
so did you actually notice a power increase by swapping the head?

Friday, September 05, 2008 1:31 PM
Well there is a performance increase but i think it's mostly due to the secret cams. I'm sure the head has something to do with it, though. Theres a great sound from the warm air intake now though for sure! But I'm confident after a tune there will be even more of an increase.

Friday, September 05, 2008 2:58 PM
no over heating issues of any kind?

did you do everything yourself? if so... did you follow someone's guide on here or something? or did you figure out what to do yourself?

im getting ready to do this myself and would like to learn everything there is to know about it, thanks.

Friday, September 05, 2008 4:15 PM
Had an overheating issue at first. I had left the stock 2.4 thermostat in the neck down bottom which guys on here told me was the cause. So I removed the guts of the 2.4's so only the rubber grommet and the ring were left of the tstat so it would still seal. I then used the 2.3's in the head where it originally goes on the quads and voila. Did everything myself but followed the guide off of www.quad4forums.com. If you want I can send you the link later. It only gives you the bare basics. Everything else you kinda gotta figure out on your own. Definetly have to use the 2.3's thermo housing though. The hardest part for me was the timing tensioner and replumbing the coolant lines into the head. still working on that as my heater lines are at a bad angle because they really should be shorter. Let me know if you need help.

Friday, September 05, 2008 6:10 PM
USMCZ24 wrote:Well there is a performance increase but i think it's mostly due to the secret cams. I'm sure the head has something to do with it, though. Theres a great sound from the warm air intake now though for sure! But I'm confident after a tune there will be even more of an increase.

Leather Necks stick together..

PM me and ill shoot ya my #.. see if we can knock this thing out.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Friday, September 05, 2008 7:47 PM
You can do tunes, Chris? I'd first like to see if I can get my W41 cams modded with the p/s hex and cam sensor pad and run those. still need an exhaust and a wideband. not to mention the car looks like butt from faded paint. Being deployed twice with the car not covered and baking in the Cali sun doesn't help. Have a body kit getting prepped to go on with a new hood. Slow process. Need all the kinks worked out first but could definitely use your expertise. Thanks, man.

Friday, September 05, 2008 8:04 PM
have you seen my W41 95 Z24?

the bumper cover is now black..... and it rapes bault SS's.... NA. and revs strong to 8K... still tuning it.

Look at using a old LD2 4-2-1 header. you will have to make your own secondarys.. but it is worth it.

Do you have HPT?

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Friday, September 05, 2008 8:13 PM
Sounds sick. Heard about the car before. Exactly what i wanted to do if i could ever get a hold of a '95. Got a whole HO motor in pieces at my brother's garage right now so it wouldn't be too hard. The hard part is the @!#$ tuning! But no I don't have HPT. I went down to Philly and had RedDevil get rid of my EGR and Evap codes so i could get the damn thing inspected. I was just going to modify one my HO mani's but i'll be looking into that now. Thanks. And let me know where you live so I can jack that motor and ecu! lol. Nice work man.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:39 AM
Actually, today, I'm shoving a 93 W41 with a 086 head swap in to a 98Z... and then tuning it...LOL

Get HPT.. ill send you the file.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Saturday, September 06, 2008 9:03 AM
How are you going from OBD II to Obd I? Do you have emissions in your state? And could you send the tune to Marc aka Red Devil? He knows more about this stuff then I. Also don't have the dough for everything I need PLUS HPTuners. If I can get the W41 cams modified, will they be ok in the HO towers?

Saturday, September 06, 2008 2:01 PM
so you had issues with the heater core lines? thats good for me then considering i ditched the entire heater BOX assembly and everything LOL so all im going to have to do is run a bypass hose. and ive got a few of the aluminum 2.3 thermo housings lying around. one other thing... do they have the provision for the little steel coolant line like a stock ld9 has that runs in the back of the engine and over to the over flow/reservoir tank?

have you ever tried running anything less then premium in it? and if so how did it run? or did it? lol also... what pistons do you have? stock ld9's? if so you may have to get different pistons to run the larger lift cams. (valve reliefs) right, chris?

Saturday, September 06, 2008 4:05 PM
For the steel line I used a rubber hose to mate to the 2.3 housing. You have to use different size hoses to step it up to fit. You'll see what I mean when you get there. And going from 9.5:1 compression to 11.1:1, I wouldn't think of putting anything less than 91 in the tank. It would probably ping like a sonuva and the last thing I wanna do right now is rip everything back apart to replace some pistons! I just wouldn't try it. Running stock pistons right now. Was looking for specs on how close the stock valves were to the piston but figuring from there the clearances and then calculating those numbers into the hybrid's clearances and then to figure in the W41 specs... yikes. Don't think I can handle all that math and thinking. I can imagine I would need valve reliefs seeing as how the heads been milled down a few thousandths also. Maybe Chris would know for sure. I wanna try boost eventually anyways just with higher than normal compression. So maybe some moderately dished pistons are due anyway.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 10:21 PM
GM recommended only using premium grade gas in Stock LG0\HO Quad's.

If your going boost, this head is great!, but use LD9 8.0-7.5:1 pistons. should whined up with 9.5-9.1...

as far as valve pockets go...IDN.....the valve will open an extra .035(VS LD2 cams).....have to take some putty and turn the engine over by hand and take a lookie...

you guys are going custom @!#$ now... CC your head...measure your compressed head gasket...deck hight....do the math and see what your compression is at...do the playdoe thing and see how much room you have for valve lift...play with cam timing...

The car is staying a 98 computer, we are just tuning the VE\PE tables for the W41.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Sunday, September 07, 2008 9:29 AM
How are you going to adjust for the lack of a cam sensor? isnt there some other distinguishing differences in operating parameters that need to be tuned for? This intrigues the crap out of me! I always thought there was no way to put a pre OBDII motor in a post OBDII car without breaking the law due to emissions regs. But I guess if you keep the original computer and parameters the motor was intended to run and no check engine light, no one would know and it would be perfectly legal! Jesus, I may have to get my quad back together! Awesome. You sir, are the man!!

Sunday, September 07, 2008 10:55 AM
let it run in batch fire mode. turn the CEL off.

but, other than tuning.. and bending a PS line...there is nothing stopping you from using a LD2\LG0\W41 in your car.

you are going to be doing something "bad"...Now remember being on active duty.. I'm shaking my head YES... "you cant do it"

Look in my Reg for my 02 Z.... it passed emissions.

262-501-2091 If you want more explanation.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Monday, September 08, 2008 9:42 AM
Doesn't batch fire mode hurt performance? That's why I took my HO cams out of my hybrid when I had to tear it apart to replace the six bent exhaust valves. I put the secret cams in so I could run the cam sensor. Was thinking of having the HO cam's modded with the W41's when the time comes so I can run either if I wanted. But now that I know I can use the whole LGO, a whole lot of options opened! However when I was looking at the parts the other day, I noticed it doesn't have an 086 head. It has a 753 or something like that. IIRC, this head isn't that far behind the 086 head in performance, correct? Don't really wanna have to get another 086. If I go either route, I'll let you be my tuner, Chris! Leaning more to keep my hybrid after all this work. So 11.1:1 comp, W41 cams in HO towers w/ a modified intake side cover for cmps, port matched and polished exhaust side from ports to collector, and hopefully a 2.5" exhaust soon. Can you tune for all that? I know I have to get a wideband too. Could of had one awhile ago but didn't jump on the chance. Could kick myself now.

Monday, September 08, 2008 9:56 AM
To Justin Stockdall and Z YAAAA. Here's the writeup I used. Not much. That's why there was a lot of figuring it out on my own. Hell, maybe one of you could do a step by step tut with pics. Would help others out a lot. I should of done it.

http://www.quad4forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 08, 2008 9:57 AM

Monday, September 08, 2008 4:56 PM
I Would dump the CPS... above somthing like 2800RPM is goes to batch fire mode anyways... about 5200.. i think.. mine goes to single fire mode.. all 4 at once.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:32 AM
So batch fire mode doesn't hurt performance, then? So there's no side affects from removing the cps? So I take it i can skip having the cams modded with the cps pad? And what's single fire mode, now??! Just seems all too easy and good to be true.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 1:21 PM
Single fire mode, with OBD-1 ment that both injector drivers would fire at once. IE all injectors will fire at the same time.

Chirs

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search