Nitrous Backfire!!!!!!!!!!! - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Nitrous Backfire!!!!!!!!!!!
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:19 PM
I have a 1994 Chevrolet Beretta with a 2.2L OHV motor 5 speed manual Transmission with a CAI

I bought a WET "Nitrous Express" Nitrous kit with a 10 pound bottle (bottle is NOT nitrous express) which came "full" from what the previous owner told me, it does NOT have a bottle pressure gauge. Anyways I went on the Website and it asks for a .035 jet for nitrous and a .020 jet for fuel, but the local speed shop here only had a .020 and a .034 (.01 smaller on the nitrous jet)
Anyways, we finally hooked up the system, I installed a NEW fuel filter, installed a WOT switch I made, an arming switch, and thats it.
Anyways I have stock plugs gapped to something very large I believe (north of .050), and they are normal AC Delco Copper plugs.

Anyways long story short it is a 50 shot wet kit, I have never used nitrous before, I sprayed in 2nd gear from 3000rpm and everything went smooth (let off at 5000) and then tried it again a minute later and I heard BOOM! and saw fire come out the Intake (No hood).... I waited 2 minutes and tried again... BOOOMMMM!!! fire out the intake.
nothing was damaged but now I am scared @!#$less to all hell to spray!!!

What is wrong? What needs to happen? Could it be because bottle pressure could be low? Gap of plugs to big?

The car has 210,xxx miles on it, motor PURS...
Thanks guys!

Re: Nitrous Backfire!!!!!!!!!!!
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:42 PM
You have to get new spark plugs they have to be one step colder for a 50 shot and two step for 75 + shot. You can not run nitrous on stock plugs thats why its back firing.
Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:28 AM
I had one step colder and gapped mine at .035 I think,also what octane fuel were you running?93 is preferred.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:20 PM
Ahhh.... I am using 87 octane fuel right now, is 93 REALLY needed for a 50 shot?

I just brought down the gap to .035 so I will update soon. Hopefully nothing explodes.
I did a fuel pressure test and got 35-36psi @ Idle and 40+Psi doing a WOT Snap Test (Snapped it to Wide open throttle for a split second)

Im going to go ahead and double check the fuel and nitrous jets, make sure they were/are not hooked up backwards, and make sure the nozzle is pointed IN TO the throttle body, I will spray and hope it doesn't back fire!!!
Thanks a lot guys, let me know, and I will get back to this thread hopefully tonight if not tomorrow :-)
Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:23 PM
Oh by the way, what part number do I need for 1 step colder spark plugs? Please let me know guys!!!!
Friday, November 21, 2008 2:05 AM
U can run 89 or higher for 50 shot, as far as the plugs go i not sure but i think u can use NGK TR6 plugs they are 1 step colder. U can ge them at any auto parts store.
Friday, November 21, 2008 3:33 AM
Higher octane = less detonation and you can use any one-step colder,copper plug

Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:46 AM
Quote:

Ahhh.... I am using 87 octane fuel right now, is 93 REALLY needed for a 50 shot?

yum, yeah. if you would like your engine to last longer running nitrous. with 93 being down to $2 a gallon in most area's you can afford it

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:54 PM
just by reading the first few sentances i say this is completely retarted

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Wednesday, December 31, 2008 11:19 AM
What's even worse besides your grammar is the fact that this thread is over a month old and you comment without any useful info.Good job!!

Tuesday, May 05, 2009 2:45 PM
I'm posting and its 5 months old cause its completely retarded that this kid did this in the first place and didn't read anything on here. Not forgetting that this is completely amusing! BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

87 octane, stock plugs gapped to .050, 210K miles! dude, are you serious? Are you really willing to take that kind of chance on that old of a motor? WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!! Be it that I am not one to bash anyone, just offer advice, but its completely clear that this guy didn't even try to find out anything anywhere!

Friday, May 08, 2009 6:17 PM
^^ speaks the truth

Friday, November 06, 2009 8:17 PM
Arash Changizian wrote:Ahhh.... I am using 87 octane fuel right now, is 93 REALLY needed for a 50 shot?

I just brought down the gap to .035 so I will update soon. Hopefully nothing explodes.
I did a fuel pressure test and got 35-36psi @ Idle and 40+Psi doing a WOT Snap Test (Snapped it to Wide open throttle for a split second)

Im going to go ahead and double check the fuel and nitrous jets, make sure they were/are not hooked up backwards, and make sure the nozzle is pointed IN TO the throttle body, I will spray and hope it doesn't back fire!!!
Thanks a lot guys, let me know, and I will get back to this thread hopefully tonight if not tomorrow :-)

are you serious. stop, stop right now. please I went down the road your going to blow that @!#$ up.

I have to say you did make it to my hero of the week. you heard a bang and saw fire come out your intake. So you waited to miuntes and said @!#$ it. car still works. you sir win all of my internets.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search