What brand and model plugs do you run? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What brand and model plugs do you run?
Friday, April 24, 2009 3:31 PM
Just wanted to know what brand and model plugs you guys are using with nitrous. I've read that the TR6s have too far of a reach, but that seams to be the most suggested.

Re: What brand and model plugs do you run?
Friday, April 24, 2009 3:44 PM
NGK TR6s in my eco.

Friday, April 24, 2009 3:51 PM
Doesn't look like you are running nitrous in your profile

Friday, April 24, 2009 4:10 PM
Oops, haha didn't read the "with nitrous" part.
Friday, April 24, 2009 7:14 PM
Autolite 103's

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Saturday, April 25, 2009 3:51 AM
The TR6's are way to short, NGK makes some (1 and 2 steps colder) for us but they are expensive.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:36 PM
What's expensive. Most plugs range from $2-9 each? How much are they? And model if you got them off hand.

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:11 AM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:What's expensive. Most plugs range from $2-9 each? How much are they? And model if you got them off hand.

I think they are like $9 each plus shipping since you can't get them from parts stores. Here are the part numbers...

One stage colder :
LTR6IX-11 stock no. 6509

Two stage colder :
ltr7ix-11 stock no. 6510

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Monday, April 27, 2009 3:55 AM
Thanks. This should help a bunch of people too

Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:18 AM
JoeyDaBomb wrote:
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:What's expensive. Most plugs range from $2-9 each? How much are they? And model if you got them off hand.

I think they are like $9 each plus shipping since you can't get them from parts stores. Here are the part numbers...

One stage colder :
LTR6IX-11 stock no. 6509

Two stage colder :
ltr7ix-11 stock no. 6510

i have the ltr7ix-11s, are those ok for nitrous or since they have the 1 'arm' thing for the spark would they get too hot? i think i remember reading something in the zex manual about not using the plugs with the 1 long arm guy for the spark.. just thought id ask to clear things up for myself

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Friday, June 26, 2009 7:39 AM
NGK TR6 4177's = 2 steps colder.

Ran them with nitrous for the better part of 2 years, shots ranging between 40 and 60 and I never had a single issue except butt-loads of horsepower. They're cheap and in-stock at NAPA.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 10:07 AM
ac delco 41-602's are 2 step colder and a copper core im pretty sure

Monday, July 13, 2009 5:18 AM
^^ Now that's what I wanted to hear! Anybody confirm this??

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 8:23 AM
Some clarification that has been said over and over but seems to still be going over many peoples heads here.

2.3, 2.4TC, and 2.2ohv all use .708" reach, taper seat plugs
Eco uses 1.00" reach, taper seat plug.

REACH = the length of the threads form the seat to the end
SEAT = how the plug seals against the head. For mostly everyone, there are 2 types of seat designs: Gasketed and Taper

The LTR6IX-11 and like are .984" plugs but .016" isn't an important difference. Its an adequate replacement that is colder than stock (LTR5IX-11 is listed as a stock replacement)

41-602 are Gasket seat plugs and not appropriate.

ECOs should only use 1" long plugs! Yes, 3/4" long plugs will thread in. Yes, they will still fire the mixture. BUT the shorter plug reduces compression ratio, has less threads to hold it in, and with the electrode sunk way back into the head, it shrouds the spark slowing flame propogation.

Most the answers here have been recommending .708" plugs and the question is asking about an Eco.

sig not found
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:45 PM
THANK GOD!!! Finally, somebody said exactly what I was looking for. I had read somewhere that (my poor mind can't remember the source) the spark plugs that most were using were the wrong reach plugs. I also had heard that if the reach was too long it would cause problems with nitrous.

I'm so glad someone has finally came forward and said that those plugs weren't correct. I know alot of people were using them, but I also knew they weren't the right ones.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:52 PM
If all info is correct from protemec- you should be able to use Autolite XP5364. It is cross referranced as the NGK equal.

Details for the Autolite are:
Heat range: 4 (in Domestic brands lower numbers are colder & 5 is the stock range)
Electrode Core: Nickel alloy sheath over copper core
Electrode Firing Tip: Iridium Finewire
Thread Size: 14mm
Thread Reach: 1 inch
Seat Style: Tapered
Price: $6.49 each (vs the NGK's $8.49)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the spark plug thing is starting to come together for me now.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 6:13 PM
Disregard last post. Autolite appears to make a good plug but I can't find a range hotter or colder for the Autolite XP5263

Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:04 PM
so are tr6's the correct thread reach for an ld9?

i know its probably a dumb question but could one simply buy longer reach plugs if staying n/a and get more compression?

PFFT secret cams?! pm me if you want a real upgrade.
Monday, July 20, 2009 4:22 PM
z yaaaa wrote:so are tr6's the correct thread reach for an ld9?

i know its probably a dumb question but could one simply buy longer reach plugs if staying n/a and get more compression?

Yes.

No you don't ever want to do that.
your thought on compression is incomplete. there are 2 major negatives that go with your one positive.
Compression would increase somewhat, but the bad parts are: 1- the plug will likely hit the piston, 2- the exposed threads in the chamber will be hot spots that will cause detonation

sig not found
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:05 PM
well all right then! lol i knew it was a stupid question.

PFFT secret cams?! pm me if you want a real upgrade.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search