Nitrous and turbo - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Nitrous and turbo
Thursday, November 25, 2010 3:06 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone has ran a turbo kit and like a 50 shot on a stock motor? Never messed with nitrous, just wonder if anyone tried it and how well the motor held up. Im running 8-10 lbs of boost. Thinking about trying a 50 shot to it. Wondering if it will kill my motor or not. Im not posting this to get smart ass comments from people, just curious if anyone has tried it and what happen if they have?

Re: Nitrous and turbo
Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:40 PM
i wish i knew enough about the 2.2 to really give you good solid advice about spray for it.

however, i will go ahead and say yes, given the proper setup with nitrous you should have no problems spraying a 50 shot through her. even on a basically stock engine.

that's the wonderful thing about nitrous. colder plugs, higher octane fuel and a decent wet kit (with all the supporting parts) and your'e ready to spray. no engine work needed for such a small shot. and it should give you that advantage you need while your turbo's spooling.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:29 PM
full of win!

why not just up the boost?

Re-tune...

Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:57 PM
It all depends on how much hp that you are currently making.
Quote:

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:40 AM
thanks for your answer guys. appreciate it

Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:05 AM
Like blackbird mentions...why not just run a little more boost instead? The stock connecting rods really aren't well suited to the shock loads nitrous can create when they are already working hard to carry the turbocharged increase in power.

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:09 AM
why not like a small 35 shot to help spool the turbo?

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:18 AM
blackbirdracing wrote:full of win!

why not just up the boost?

Re-tune...

exactly

and no need to run a 35 shot, just size the turbo properly.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:27 PM
or up the boost and add n2o?

seriously though i don't see this argument getting anywhere. ur on stock internals sooner or later your'e going to hurt something if you up the boost or leave the boost as is and add n2o. i'd start thinking about an engine build. and then ^^^^^^^see above

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, November 28, 2010 2:29 PM

Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:27 PM
Well I have a whole other motor for that. Im just trying to get the most out of this one for a year or two without blowing it up. If I can run a 30 shot even and my 8-10 pounds of boost ill be happy. I just dont wanna run the boost and put the nitrous to it and it go on me the first time. People are saying to turn up the boost. What is the most boost I can run on my stock 2.2 motor without hurting anything and getting the time out of it I want. Im open to hear all opinions. Just curious to hear what people have done and how things have held up in this area.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 7:58 PM
what kind of tuning have you done?

Sunday, November 28, 2010 8:04 PM
right now just a tune to get the car running decent. Im going to take it and have it dyno tuned when I have everything set up and ready.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 8:09 PM
what do you mean everything set up and ready? as in your new engine dropped in or the current one?

are you hptuned with your current setup?

Sunday, November 28, 2010 8:13 PM
I mean as what im defiantly going to run. As in how much boost and what shot of nitrous im going to shoot. When I put the new engine in I will have to get it retuned because Im going to build that motor not leave it stock. Right now the tune is just set up for 8-10 pounds of boost. Good enough to drive the car and get it to the dyno.

Monday, November 29, 2010 2:37 PM
well, i mean you have three very experienced people with turbo systems in here telling you to up the boost.

i guess i'm going to have to disagree with them. (not just cuz i'm a nitrous fanboy or anything )

i think that for your current goals with your current motor nitrous is probly a great way to gain some extra hp. i have no idea what kind of hp your'e sitting at currently, however, with a stock head (the 2200 head is a ridiculous bottleneck) and stock cam (i'm assuming anyways), i think simply throwing more boost at it is probly just going to be a waste.

a 35 or 50 shot of manjuice might just be exactly what you need for your current setup, and then with your built motor just go for an all out boost build.

i guess if it were me i would find out just how much more exactly the stock 2200 engine and valvetrain can handle with boost? and also probly do some searching around in this forum as well and read up some of the other turbo/nitrous builds.

the 2200 can handle nitrous or boost. together though with stock everything? i'd certainly look into just how much more power you really wanna dare throw at it.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:52 AM
blucavvy wrote:well, i mean you have three very experienced people with turbo systems in here telling you to up the boost.

i guess i'm going to have to disagree with them. (not just cuz i'm a nitrous fanboy or anything )

i think that for your current goals with your current motor nitrous is probly a great way to gain some extra hp. i have no idea what kind of hp your'e sitting at currently, however, with a stock head (the 2200 head is a ridiculous bottleneck) and stock cam (i'm assuming anyways), i think simply throwing more boost at it is probly just going to be a waste.

a 35 or 50 shot of manjuice might just be exactly what you need for your current setup, and then with your built motor just go for an all out boost build.

i guess if it were me i would find out just how much more exactly the stock 2200 engine and valvetrain can handle with boost? and also probly do some searching around in this forum as well and read up some of the other turbo/nitrous builds.

the 2200 can handle nitrous or boost. together though with stock everything? i'd certainly look into just how much more power you really wanna dare throw at it.

Thanks for your opion.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:58 PM
Stock 2200 bottom end with proper tuning has been taken to 20 psi. I think your top end will give out before that though.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:53 PM
The only thing you should do with a nitrous kit is convert it to a Co2 kit for your inter cooler if you have one. As everyone is saying, please tell me what sense does it make to run a 35 or 50 shot of n2o just for a bit of extra power when you're only at 8 lbs of boost.

None...

My advice up the boost and get the power you want, there is no need to spend money on and n2o kit or add one more variable in the mix.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 6:52 PM
Well I have the n2o kit so that isn't costing me anything except to get the tank filled. Plus my one buddy has a honda he thinks will beat it just gonna use the nitrous for the little extra power in case I need it. I appreciate everyone's opinions. I think Im just going to run the 8-10 lbs of boost and spray a 45 shot to it when we race. Other than that im just going to let the n2o alone and just have it hooked up in case and when I run it at the strip. Plus im going to have it dyno tuned for the nitrous. If the motor goes then it goes and ill build the other one just for boost. Thanks everyone

Friday, December 03, 2010 6:57 AM
Well if thats the case and your mind is made up. I hope you read and learn everything there is to know about running n2o safely.

Friday, December 03, 2010 7:14 AM
35 shot wont gain you what you think it will. the general consensus is that 1 psi can be around 10 hp, again this is a HUGE variable number but for a lot of guys i talk to thats about what they figure as well.

like matt said, its just another thing to go wrong trying to beat your friend, its one hell of a shock on a motor that is already compressing air. it would be like you working out agressivly at a gym all day, but all through out your workout drinking deep fryer grease and just waiting for your heart to fail.

Friday, December 03, 2010 11:52 AM
I say if youve got the extra engine, go for broke! If she pops she pops.

Sunday, December 05, 2010 11:18 AM
sometimes when you blow the motor, it takes more out with it than just the motor, so thats not something i would advise...

Sunday, December 05, 2010 11:37 AM
do it just like four fast five furious!

300 shot on top of 30 psi of boost. you cant go wrong.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Sunday, December 05, 2010 12:55 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:sometimes when you blow the motor, it takes more out with it than just the motor, so thats not something i would advise...

Its kind of the same as pushing an engine to the limits in any other situation. Not telling him to intentionally blow it up just push it to its limits.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search