Cams w/ nitrous? + other q's on 125 shot. - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cams w/ nitrous? + other q's on 125 shot.
Monday, July 09, 2012 1:34 PM
If there any benefit to upgrading your intake cam with a longer duration while using nitrous? Would this change the whole jetting sizes?

My situation:
-50 shot right now on stock L61 (5 speed bone stock, minus intake and a heavy stereo)

-New bottom end coming in very soon for cheap, don't mind if I blow it really. As long as I get some fun out of it.
-Weico .020 over pistons, and eagle rods are the upgrades to the block. It has also been not sleeved, but oringed? <<--not sure what that means.
-I'd crap a spare head from pick-a-pull-n-gay

My goal is to run a 100-125 shot. Do you guys think this will be safe with this bottom end?
will the stock head bolts handle it? I really don't want to buy studs, but if I have to, I will.

There's a copper head gasket mixed somewhere in the deal too, but it may be bad.

Back to the original question, any suggestions on camshafts? I've given up the boost idea this season, I want to have something to race in the street prep(not sure where this will put me). class at auto-x this season.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/

Re: Cams w/ nitrous? + other q's on 125 shot.
Monday, July 09, 2012 5:02 PM
Nitrous cams have faster exhaust ramp rates. The only thing that will change your jetting is fuel pressure and bottle pressure.

You have received a forum warning:

Warning: Your signature is way over the 80k file size limit, please remove it.
Monday, July 09, 2012 5:29 PM
I understand n20/fuel pressure, I'm going to attempt to make a DIY bottle warmer to save a few bucks. Also my fuel pressure is 59psi at WOT.
That does make sense though, but won't cams effect the amount of fuel/air/n2o introduced into the cylinder... Thereby increasing the "shot"?

So when you're shooting nitrous, you gain from added (lift or duration) on the exhaust cam? Intake has nothing to do with it?

I'm also looking for a remote pressure gauge if anyone has any spares.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 2:23 PM
FYI, in my region's auto-x you cannot run any compressed gases.

Error: Sig not found.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 11:34 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:FYI, in my region's auto-x you cannot run any compressed gases.

There's 2 different auto-x up here. NORA and SCAA... I think. I gotta read up on that.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:17 AM
Changing cam's won't pull more juice into the motr if that's your reasoning. You have jets which limit the flow of fue and Nitrous going throught the fogger, cams will help move your powerbad around which could work better while spraying depending on how the car is setup. Are you running any window switches, progressive controlers? Also I've never see any auto x allow nitrous, not to say you couldn't try to run it but I'd put money on them kicking you out or not allowing you to go to that groups events down the line.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:28 AM
Yeah I kinda figures that the jetting is the jetting. If your cams increase your HP, then that's your baseline for adding ax 'x' shot. Right now all I'm running is a standard tps switch. I figure with a certain cam profile, a window switch would be imperative. BUT... before any of this happens with my 125+ shot, and cams.... I just ordered a megasquirt V3 board, and MS3x case, ordering the ms3 board and expansion card (3x) next week, and I'm pretty sure you can go right into the code and spray whenever you want.

I have to call or email NORA and check, I'm trying to make it up there on the 21/22nd. If I can't spray, then oh well. Just wanna have some fun at the track.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:22 AM
I doubt you will like the mega squirt. thats if you can get it wired in and working properly.

Also, dont expect this to last... something as simple and cheap as head studs that you dont want to swap out is a tell tale sign. I made 300+ on stock motor with head studs only and ran mid 12's. They are a vital piece to keeping your head gasket happy.

Sunday, July 15, 2012 2:33 PM
Why do you say that? I enjoy electrical projects. I plan on making a sort of y cable for the harness to swap the stock and ms while I''m tinkering with it.

I want to cheap out and all that's possible. I'm not rich lol. I have learned that head studs are going to be a necessity, but anything that doesn't need replacing... I'm not replacing. Since were on the topic though, if I pull the crank, can I re-use main bolts?

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:19 PM
i know this is an old thread, but did you get anywhere with that y harness? im considering a propane swap and im looking for ideas.
Friday, January 18, 2013 1:24 PM
he has not been seen for quite a while, as he owes people parts that he has not shipped.

Friday, January 18, 2013 1:48 PM
Your pistons and rods are on the way, yeah I got a set stuck in the girdle... then I need to figure out how to pay mike back, but that's another story.

Never got to the Y harness. In theory, it's a great idea... but too complicated to do a simple task. If you're not running a standalone use a micro-switch, or a tps sensor box of sorts. If you are running ms, you can program outputs to trigger n2o, or anything you'd like.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 10:38 AM
I have a 97 grand am bone stock ld9 with 169k miiles on it with a 200 shot. Ive made 3 passes at the strip. Gained 1.5 seconds in the quarter with no traction all the way down the strip. And a few shots in the neiborhood. Car still runs great. 15.32 at 93mph. Plus my cavy runs 15.32 at 89mph all motor.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:11 PM
You're an idiot, congratulations.

Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:20 PM
maximus overdrive wrote:I have a 97 grand am bone stock ld9 with 169k miiles on it with a 200 shot. Ive made 3 passes at the strip. Gained 1.5 seconds in the quarter with no traction all the way down the strip. And a few shots in the neiborhood. Car still runs great. 15.32 at 93mph. Plus my cavy runs 15.32 at 89mph all motor.

Cool story, bro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:20 PM

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:32 AM
bull@!#$... no way a 350hp grand am is only trapping 93mph. you may want to recheck your jet sizes. Not to mention if it was a 200 shot you would have flooded your car with nitrous. Your stock fuel system cant keep up with that ask me how i know lol.

1st time i ever went to the track with my bottle fed auto 2.2 that ran 17.0 n/a i had NO jets in it and ran a 15.2 shutting off 3/4 of the way down the track lol. It was flooding with nitrous on god knows what 200/300/400 shot? I destroyed (like bus lengths) my buddies bolt-on 5 spd z24 from and 40 roll on the way home from the track as well and my auto tranny.

99 cavy 2200 AUTO 14.884 @ 93.88 mph w/ a 1.920 60ft.

Civics are like tampons every pussy has one!

98 Neon R/T 15.2 @ 91mph W/a 2.4 60ft I HAVE i,h,e
see what next yr brings...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search