Thinking of going nitrous - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thinking of going nitrous
Saturday, April 23, 2005 10:33 AM
I have an 03 cavy and would love to add some hp to my car. The superchargers are too expensive for me. Nitrous stories I have heard have all been good, but I know nothing about it.

Any good websites or do-it-yourself books that you guys would recommend doing my research on?

I have almost 50k miles on my car now also. I have read that most guys run a 50 @!#$ and only changed the plugs. Do you guys run the 50 due to the engine not being able to handle more or is that just what you prefer?

Thanks.

Re: Thinking of going nitrous
Saturday, April 23, 2005 10:56 AM
I run a 75 shot with 93 octane and colder plugs --

as far as readings go read the little FAQ and ask as many questions as you need.

I would not run more then a 75 shot because it would be really pushing it on a relativley stock engine

Saturday, April 23, 2005 11:03 AM
What kinds of plugs do you use? Did you have to do anything to them like gap them or anything, or was it basically plug and play.

So you didn't upgrade your ful pump or anything either?

How about gauges. Have you hooked up any guages for you nitrous system.

Sorry about all the questions!

Oh yeah one more: I looked at the website for NX, and they have a bunch of nitrous systems listed. The top one is called a Stage One for EFI. What is the difference between all these?
Saturday, April 23, 2005 11:50 AM
Quote:

What kinds of plugs do you use? Did you have to do anything to them like gap them or anything, or was it basically plug and play.

i use the NGK Iridium IX plugs. 2 steps colder than stock. stock Number is TR7IX 3690 according to the box that i am looking at now. no need to gap those, just plug and play.

Quote:

there is JBO member Nitro that has been running a 100 shot on his 2.4 and he has made no upgrades to his feul system. not to my knowledge anyway. but i think he over jets the feul jet to compenstate for not having a better feul system.

Quote:

How about gauges. Have you hooked up any guages for you nitrous system.

a nitrous pressure gague came with my system and it mounts to the bottle itself. feul pressure, EGT gague, and oil pressure would be good gauges to start with

Quote:

I looked at the website for NX, and they have a bunch of nitrous systems listed. The top one is called a Stage One for EFI. What is the difference between all these?

i think with stage one you can only go up to a 75 shot. i think with stage 2 they have jets for up to 150 shot.

i have the NX wet kit, bottle heater, colder plugs, and im running 92 octane gas. i have the 55 shot in and it took of 1.7 seconds off my best 1/4 mile when i was N/A. best now with the nitrous is in my sig

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, April 24, 2005 8:48 AM
Quote:

NGK TR6's --- you shold not need to gap them they come at .038 I beleave

Quote:

Nope stock fuel pump

gauges --- i have a nitrous pressure gauge and that is it

I have the stage 1 efi it is good for 35-150 shot

Sunday, April 24, 2005 8:22 PM
I had the NX wet kit on my 99 2200 with 80K miles and ran a 50 shot and picked up about 1.5 seconds off my best NA time, best was a 15.54 and i was running pig rich at the time, i had the fuel pressure cranked with an AFPR and had one size bigger fuel jet than the 50 shot called for, just to make sure i had plenty of fuel and didnt blow my motor. Now with stock fuel pressure, and the right fuel jet it proably would have went low 15, maybe 15.2 or maybe 15.1, but traction was hard to come by on that 15.5 run.

Its cheap and fun, just use it with respect and dont get stupid, i would only run a 75 shot max on a stock eco, and would run 2 step colder plugs, step up to 100 octane and run a 100 shot.

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Im premium since January, but why doesnt it say that?????
Sunday, April 24, 2005 10:05 PM
I would recomend using the jets that you are told to use --- they are already set on the rich side as it is

Monday, April 25, 2005 6:29 AM
I'm using the NGK's to never had any problems with them. Defiantely use the highest octane gas you can though. I got VERY lucky my engine didnt go the times I sprayed on mid grade gas. I picked up about 1.7 in the quarter with a 70 shot.
Only bad thing I've noticed from using nitrous is that my car defiantely isnt as fast as it used to be off the bottle. Granted my car has over 80k on it, but i havent used nearly as much nitrous as 04ecotec has.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 8:52 PM
bottom line

keep it under a 75 shot if its a stock motor

get a rpm window switch

get a WOT switch

Use a wet kit

Upgrade your plugs

Run premium

double up on your switches incase one fails
Thursday, May 05, 2005 6:06 PM
Would two step colder spark plugs hurt my car during the times i am not running on premium fuel?
Friday, May 06, 2005 9:02 AM
nope

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 2:33 PM
so what the difference between the wet and dry systems..? not physicly... i know the wet kit sprays fuel as well as nitrous and the dry dosent but....

other than that what are the differences in the two?

pawer...safety ext...

"There is no point in looking fast if your not."

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 10:53 PM
you said it yourself s wet kit sprays extra fuel and a dry kit uses the stock fuel system to provide extra fuel when you spray

a wet kit is more safe b/c you are adding fuel and nitrous not just nitrous.

a 75 dry shot and a 75 set shot should be the same power

Thursday, May 12, 2005 8:56 AM
so the wet is safer because it provides the extra fuel also(less likely a chance for detonation)..?

but either way you would wanna upgrade your fuel pump...

and the power of the two is about the same?

Thursday, May 12, 2005 8:58 AM
what about...?

J-kub wrote:I don’t know how everyone can claim that wet is safer with all the people posting about puddling problems and people’s intakes blowing off I am not saying that one is safer over another, just saying they both have problems.

Jay

Thursday, May 12, 2005 11:40 AM
Red2.ZCavi (The Slanky One) wrote:what about...?

J-kub wrote:I don’t know how everyone can claim that wet is safer with all the people posting about puddling problems and people’s intakes blowing off I am not saying that one is safer over another, just saying they both have problems.

Jay

in respnose to that -- would you rather have a slim chance of your intake blowing off or a rod going through your block ---

I had backfire due to puddling one time in 33 bottles and that was because I sprayed on extremely low bottle pressure and my intake blew off so i pulled over and put it back on and that was the end of it i am sure a new motor would have cost a little more and taken alot more time

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search