"nitrous boost" gauge idea - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
"nitrous boost" gauge idea
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:23 PM
all my amateur friends (the ones without cars who saw the fast and the furious) are always disappointed when they see that when nitrous is activated, theres no "nitrous boost" gauge that you see an increase in as the gas flows. I thought of an interesting (however useless) idea for this: a some sort of flow/ pressure gauge reading from the "out" side of your nitrous solenoid. That way, when nitrous was activated, it would read the pressure. Stupid idea, just throwing it out there.

Re: "nitrous boost" gauge idea
Wednesday, April 27, 2005 9:26 PM
Actually I have thought of this a few times. But my reasoning behind it is to tell if a selenoid has gone bad. Put a fuel pressure after the fuel selenoid and a nitrous pressure after nitrous selenoid. I dont know if it would work though.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 12:15 PM
it depends how much pressure acutally built up in the line as the stuff flowed..... i doubt very much would, unless the jets were blocked or something. my idea just bombed.

Thursday, April 28, 2005 6:58 PM
oder up a pressure gauge off the net... quite cheap for a basic pressure gauge. Doesnt have to be label "NITROUS guage or BOOST gauge"
Thursday, April 28, 2005 10:31 PM
Robert Krattli wrote:it depends how much pressure acutally built up in the line as the stuff flowed..... i doubt very much would, unless the jets were blocked or something. my idea just bombed.

Yeah but if you think about the nitrous being near 1000 psi or so, then trying to squeeze through that little nozzle, your going to have some pressure. It would actually likely be pretty high. The fuel should at least register some. The idea would simply be to at least show you if a selenoid has failed. Allowing you to quickly shut off the car and go close the bottle effectivly helping stop problems with selnoids going bad and blowing stuff up.
Monday, May 02, 2005 10:55 AM
wouldn't a regular "boost gauge" work??

it reads normal atmospheric pressure as "o" ..........nitrous allows more fuel and oxygen in the engine.Would this be seen as a negative boost reading or a possitive reading?

I ain't callin u a gold digga,but you ain't messin wit a broke cracka
Monday, May 02, 2005 1:38 PM
eCOfIRE.cOm (The Amish One) wrote:wouldn't a regular "boost gauge" work??

it reads normal atmospheric pressure as "o" ..........nitrous allows more fuel and oxygen in the engine.Would this be seen as a negative boost reading or a possitive reading?

in a word, no. the boost gauge is wired up to a MAP sensor stuck in the intake, but think about it, putting nitrous and fuel into the intake (even if it was before the sensor) would not reach a pressure even close to any 0..... youd still have a vacuum. There's no boost gauge that reads the actual pressure inside the cylinders (which is what nitrous WOULD increase)

Monday, May 02, 2005 1:47 PM
hhhhmmm....interesting..........I see exactly what you mean now.

I ain't callin u a gold digga,but you ain't messin wit a broke cracka
Tuesday, May 10, 2005 7:20 PM
but the gauage would not be hooked up to the intake where there would be VAC it would be hooked up right after a solienod wich would read on the gauge right?

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 1:36 PM
yeah that was the general theory, right after the solenoid. in theory i guess there would be enough nitrous pressure there to do it... but a boost gauge would get F'd up because it only reads to like 30 psi and i dunno how it would handle a very cold, liquified gas.

Friday, May 13, 2005 5:09 AM
I wonder if any makes a nitrous pressure guage?

Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:10 AM
Summit racing offers a "Nitrous Pressure Gauge", but I am not sure if this is on the bottle or for the driver in a pod...?
Monday, June 20, 2005 2:50 PM
woulnd make a difference the readings could be transfered I Think

Re:
Monday, June 20, 2005 7:14 PM
If the nitrous gauge was put in line after the solenoid, then it would read zero while the solenoid is closed. When opened though, it would jump up to the current line pressue. That would work, right? I know it's not the "boost gauge" that others want, but it would keep tabs on your solenoids.

Re:
Tuesday, June 21, 2005 6:25 PM
I used to have a set of indicator lights on my dash. The third one would light up when the nitrous flowed. If you were really crafty with the electronics, you could use a bar graph LED, and a timer that would advance the bar graph per time that you had the solenoid engaged.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Re:
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 6:12 AM
Heh, my job in the military deals with every type of indicator imagineable; I maintain the whole avionics systems in heavy transports and bombers. Fuel flow, Fuel Quantity, EGT, Engine Tachs, Torquemeters, G-meters, Inclinometers, ADI/HSI, Guidance Systems, etc. The theory behind the gauge you're looking for is simple, just a matter of there's not an abundant amount of designs out there.

If you're feeling crafty, just find a regular pressure gauge and take the glass off it, attach a shaft to the indicator needle, with a magnetic rotor on the shaft. Use a three phase stator so you now have a synchro transmitter, then find a synchro reciever type indicator and bam... you have pressure gauge.

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 7:57 AM
Jcavi wrote:I wonder if any makes a nitrous pressure guage?

They do , I have one, Autometer Phantom series, its just another hard line, I'm assuming you mean bottle pressure, because thats something you should know if your gonna spray effectively.

--------------------------------------------
The Car is For Sale: Info? Travis@TunerRevolution.com

Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:32 AM
does the nitrous gauge have a sender, so do u just tap the line, or do you end up running the nitrous through the gauge actually?

http://www.aplusperformance.com
http://www.modified-motorsports.com
Wednesday, June 22, 2005 10:32 AM
Yes, most of them are mechanical, but nitrous isn't exactly volatile unless mixed with fuel, so its not like running a mechanical fuel pressure gauge inside the car.

Friday, June 24, 2005 4:23 PM
if you have a boost guages hooked up to a vac line ke you would rto read vac and boost, and yo uhit the spray itll register 5 or 6 pounds of boost

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list
Friday, June 24, 2005 4:47 PM
^ Wouldn't work. Boost gauges go up to about 30psi max, nitrous sprays out of the bottle at well over 1000 PSI, you would destroy the gauge the first time you sprayed.

Monday, July 18, 2005 7:03 AM
ive seen it happen in my car years ago when i was on the bottle. my boost guage ties into a vac line for my tb, for the fpr i believe, and when the nitrous is on it would see aout 6 pounds of boost. your not running the line directly into the nitrous line, but this is the pressure that builds up in the tb and intake manifold and its being read by the guage

parting out my built and boosted 97 z24 so4x4.com/cavy.html for pics and a parts list
Tuesday, July 19, 2005 5:41 PM
point taken... i guess thats possible

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search