What company should I go with? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What company should I go with?
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:05 AM
Alright before I get flamed to badly I have read everything I feel possible about nitrous. I am new to the nitrous community, but I feel confident that I will be able to do a good installation on a basic system. I do not want anything big at all, looking into a 35-50 shot and nothing more. I am definitely going to be making a purchase soon, but need a little help from the experts here on which kit to go with. I don't want to blow my car up, I am just sick of getting run down by the kid next door in his hot wheels firetruck. I want to purchase whatever is necessary for a save system, and want to take all of the necessary precautions, but I'm not looking to spend a ton. I do realize that cheap isn't always best, I'm just not looking into buying fancy things I don't need(lighted purge valves). I just need help picking a good, reliable, safe system and the components I need to go with that system. I own a 2002 2200 with 40,000 miles. Thanks for any help.

Re: What company should I go with?
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:42 AM
just get an NX wet kit best IMO

Check out my cardomain Team Altered

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:29 AM
I've been looking at the nx kit for about a year now. I know theres a gp going on too. If I purchase the GenX kit with it then would that be EVERYTHING I need to install onto my 2200? Also, how safe would you consider a 35-50 shot on a daily driver? And can someone explain to me if I would need a purge or not. I understand how to hook everything up, except for the idea of a purge. One more thing, I read the faq at the top and was wondering if the kit would include the fitting I would need to tap into the high pressure fuel line. Oh, and what exactly does the "blow down" tube do, how would you install that, and is it necessary? Thanks and sorry for all the newb questions!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 2:27 PM
go with ZEX

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090440

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 3:58 PM
NX.

2012 HD VRSCF
2010 Ford Explorer
2006 Ford Ranger
2004 Chevy Cavalier
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:00 PM
What is your reasoning behind your choice?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:14 PM
I like my Zex kit. There is no best kit just get what you like.

As for the reason I chose Zex was, It was my first time running N2O and it just apealed to me in the ease of use/install.

I would def get the Gen X kit with the system. As for the purge it pupose is to clear the trapped air or gaseous N2O from the feed line. (and it looks cool too lol!!!)

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:08 PM
Thanks, I still want to hear other opinions as well, and need help with the questions I ask earlier.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:21 PM
For the fuel tap I know my Zex kit came with a drill bit and the tap for it. I dont know about the other kits. And a blow down tube i believe is incase the pressure in the bottle gets too high and it blows the safety disk it will vent the nitrous outside the car.

A 50 shot should be good for a daily driver. I got a 75 right now in my eco and it's a daily driver.

~Riki

SPONSORED BY: No one!
Car Domain Site
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:26 PM
Would I be able to significantly feel a 35-50 shot?

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:14 PM
Well since you have an ohv you have to splice into the high pressure fuel line for a wet kit. You can get all the fittings from earls pluming this way you can run a fuel pressure gauge at the splice as well to see what pill you need for the shot you want to run at that pressure. Also i noticed you have a manual so i would highly recomend an rpm window switch. This will turn the nitrous on at what ever rpm you choose and shut it off at what ever rpm you choose under full throttle. This will come in handy if you miss a shift or spray at to low of an rpm on accident. I use a 3000 on and 5800 off on my ohv cav. The only other thing I would consider nessasary would be a fuel presure safty switch, this will shut the kit off if the fuell pressure drops below a safe amount.

You don't need to have a bottle heater or purge to have a safe system, the heater just gives you better consistancy by keeping the pressure up and also will allow you to get a few more passes out of the bottle. A purge kit just gets all the air out of you line and gives yo a better "hit " when the nitrous is acivated.

That should cover most everything just don't forget to change out the factory platinum plugs and run the premo gas. If you got any more questions feel free to ask. and as for what kit to get....i when NOS as that is who i would prefur but NX, Zex,Nitrous Works,Dynotune Nitrous, Cold fusion, are also some good kits to consider.

-Jeff

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 8:37 PM
Right now I'm leaning toward the NX kit. Where would I get the "window switch" and how is that installed? I understand fully the installation of the basic nitrous kit, but I am not sure about any extra components. Also, if a bottle heater and purge isn't necessary then should I hold off on purchasing the GenX kit? And I am planning on installing the bottle on the floor directly behind the drivers seat, is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Thanks everyone for your help.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 9:55 PM
The window switch can be found here at www.summitracing.com enter part
number---MSD-8956 and because we have a distributor less ignition you will need a tach adaptor unless you already have one.....otherwise enter part #---MSD-8913

When you install the window switch print the directions at the following address------- http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/A5096-SNOS.pdf at the end of the pdf it has a picture diagram on how to intallit into a nitrous kit. I bought a nos window switch (stupid at the time. could buy the msd switch for cheaper ) and it had instructions on how to wire it n to the nitrous system <GET INTSTRUCTIONS FROM LINK PROVIDED> Hope that helps..

Don't get me wrong the best nitrous accessory I have is my bottle heater, but if your strapped for cash you can always add that later. If you do mount the bottle on the floor behind the drivers seat you will need a blow down tube to race at most tracks. Reason for that is if the pressure disc blows ( due to bottle pressure getting extremely high ) It will vent all the frigid cold nitrous outside of the car instead of all over the interior of your car and you....

Keep us up to date..

- Jeff

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:14 PM
Quote:

Where would I get the "window switch"

If you want to get the window switch and the tach adapter along with the nitrous kit in the group buy let me know and you can save some money by getting everything all at once.

I agree with Jeff, if your strapped for cash, just get the kit, and you can always add accessories down the road.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:34 PM
How much for a window switch from ya?
Tuesday, January 24, 2006 10:47 PM
Quote:

How much for a window switch from ya?

$80.00 + Ship (Should be like $3-4 to ship)

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:17 PM
Why would I need the tach adapter, just to make the window switch work? How hard is the install? Would you mind pricing me a couple of set ups?

-nx/zex wet kit, window switch, tach adapter
-nx/zex wet kit, genx kit, window switch, tach adapter

shipped to 46052. Thanks.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:34 PM
Also my main question and reasoning behind the whole thing is: Would I be able to significantly feel a 35-50 shot?

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 6:43 AM
Quote:

Why would I need the tach adapter, just to make the window switch work? How hard is the install? Would you mind pricing me a couple of set ups?

I just sent you a pm with pricing info. Let me know if you have any questions.

To answer your question about the tach adapter. From the factory with our distributor less ignition, you don't have anything to give the window switch a signal, so there is no way for it to know what RPM you are at. The tach adapter is the same adapter that would be used to add an aftermarket tachometer.

To answer your question about would you feel the shot. The 2.2 ohv usually dynos at less then 100HP, so a 50 shot from the NX kit would probably get you close to lets say 140-150HP at the wheels. That could easily drop a couple of seconds from your quarter mile time, so I would say yes you would be able to "feel" that.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006 7:38 AM
If there's nothing to give the window switch a signal, how does my stock tach work? Also still need to know about mounting the bottle. I've read that it should be mounted inline with the car, but I have also seen it mounted perpendicular. I want to put it behind the drivers seat, would this cause any problems? Once I get all of these things sorted out I will purchase my order from you.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 6:47 AM
I am probably going to go with the zex system. My question now is, where is the output voltage lead from the throttle position sensor that is necessary for the kit to connect to?

Thursday, January 26, 2006 7:47 AM
Quote:

I am probably going to go with the zex system. My question now is, where is the output voltage lead from the throttle position sensor that is necessary for the kit to connect to?

The TPS has two wires, blue, and white. The blue wire is the one you hook the ZEX box up to. Look at the TB, you will see it.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:13 AM
Alright, I think I have everything figured out. Just one last question. How do I go about cutting into the high pressure fuel line. I know which line and where, I just need some help on how... Thanks everyone for your help.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:28 PM
Quote:

How do I go about cutting into the high pressure fuel line. I know which line and where, I just need some help on how... Thanks everyone for your help.

I'ts not as scary as it sounds. Look at the picture in the first sticky at the top of this forum. Releave the fuel pressure first, so you don't have to much gas spilling all over the place, then just cut the line, insert the "T", and clamp it down tight.

Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:03 PM
Well I thought that was my last question, but I guess this is... how do you relieve the pressure. I really appreciate your help with all of this.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search