new to nitrous - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
new to nitrous
Friday, August 11, 2006 12:43 PM
boredom led me to reading the nitrous FAQs. now i think i want it. i have a 2200 with very low miles, i've figured out that i only want to run a 50 shot at most. prefer dry so i dont have to tap for fuel but wet would be fine. purge would be nice, but not necesary if it reduces cost. Bottle warmer, remote opener, and pressure gauge. what i want to know is how much will EVERYTHING cost me? And where can i get all of it?

also, i cant garage my car so are extreme cold and heat bad for the bottle to be sitting in?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 11, 2006 1:02 PM

Re: new to nitrous
Friday, August 11, 2006 1:09 PM
for everything kit included im gonna guess around 1200 bucks... or course its all in how you shop;...

***Need A Power Lock Switch?***

Friday, August 11, 2006 1:14 PM
1200??? thats way more than i thought it would be.

Friday, August 11, 2006 1:16 PM
You can make your own
http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/car-nitrous-system.htm
Just take caution and make sure you know what you're doing.

Friday, August 11, 2006 4:24 PM
You can piece together a nice kit for around $700! The remote bottle opener and warmer are going to throw up the price ALOT so if you can live without those, I think you can get around the $500 total range!

N2O + Bolt-ons = 220Hp/250Tq

Coming Soon:HpTunersPro, EagleConnectingRods, WiescoPistons, 13sec2200

Friday, August 11, 2006 4:28 PM
how about dry 50, 5 lb bottle...thats it?

Friday, August 11, 2006 6:33 PM
i got my zex dry kit used for 300. i would search around the classifieds for a deal like that. Zex also sells a tuner kit that you can get on ebay for around 250 brand new. It includes a warmer, blow down tube, pressure gauge, and purge. I would reccomend a window switch, but you have an auto so it shouldn't be an issue. Then of course you need plugs. If you get everything for around those prices you will have an awesome kit for less then 600.

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:07 PM
Machzel08 wrote:how about dry 50, 5 lb bottle...thats it?

50shot definately! You'll like what you get from a 50 for the mean time until you possibly want to upgrade. Also a 5lb bottle may be alright but you'll be getting her refilled alot more often than a 10lb'er! The guy I just got my suspension from is selling his bottle right now. It's a zex 10lb'er. I'm sure he'd give you a good deal on it if you were interested. You can start piecing your kit together ASAP!

Friday, August 11, 2006 8:08 PM
Also, if you wanted a purge kit, I'm selling mine for pretty low. NX purge......but that depends on if you wanted to go all NX, Zex, NOS, etc etc!

Friday, August 11, 2006 10:05 PM
well o be honest this is looking at more of a cost then i thought.....im still gung ho but not quite immediate on buying it. i did the math according to the FAQ and i should go through roughly .7 pounds per run down the 1/4 so a 5lb would be fine if it was cheaper.....i really want a used kit, ironically nitrous is about the onyl thing i would buy used onyl cause i know nothing about it. thankf for your help guys

Sunday, August 13, 2006 11:55 AM
look at it this way 1200 nitrous, 2300-3500 boost???

now which ones cheaper?

Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:08 PM
[quote=DrÃkÉ]look at it this way 1200 nitrous, 2300-3500 boost???

now which ones cheaper?

yeah, but over time, with all the bottle refills, the nitrous will cost more

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:20 PM
yes it will. fortunately i jst got a kit for cheap

Sunday, August 13, 2006 8:30 PM
i've got some questions.

if i have a NOS kit from a vw golf, will the jet that was designed for a 50 shot = a 50 shot in my car?
is it bad to only spray for a very small time period?
should i let off the gas slowly after spraying for can i just let off the pedal?
to turn a dry kit into a wet all i need to do is add a fuel solenoid and nozzle?
anything i should know before i install the kit?
can i hit the pedal to measure for my WOT switch or will that flood the engine?
i'm sure i'll think of more

Sunday, August 13, 2006 10:37 PM
Quote:

if i have a NOS kit from a vw golf, will the jet that was designed for a 50 shot = a 50 shot in my car?

Nahh, you have to get the correct fuel jet depending on your stock fuel pressure, then match the nitrous jet accordingly!

Quote:

is it bad to only spray for a very small time period?

Nahh, not bad

Quote:

should i let off the gas slowly after spraying for can i just let off the pedal?

You can just let off

Quote:

to turn a dry kit into a wet all i need to do is add a fuel solenoid and nozzle?

I can't honestly answer this question because I don't know enough about dry kits, but I will say a wet kit basically consists of a fuel solenoid, a nitrous solenoid, wires, lines, switches, and a relay! I'm not sure if the dry kits n2o solenoid is the same as a wet kit?, but I can do some asking around to find out!

Quote:

can i hit the pedal to measure for my WOT switch or will that flood the engine?

Yea you have to have the pedal fully pressed to make sure you have the switch at the perfect point for WOT. Won't flood the engine and I recommend you have a friend to press the pedal while you adjust it in the engine bay! Have it at just enough for it to push it in a tad. If you put it too close you could knock the switch out of place by getting on the gas too hard.

Good luck!

Monday, August 14, 2006 6:19 AM
thanks man
another question: is it safe/is it possible to run out of nitrous during a run?

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 3:48 PM
For most street cars it's safe to run out during a run and it's always possible and happens a lot with me (no bottle warmer so pressure drops)...

Some strictly strip cars may have an MSD DIS-II (naming a DIS-II because most know what it is) but not have all the proper hardware to register when the nitrous isn't still flowing through. Like some have it programmed to retard timing up to -8 in some places (for a big shot) and if they run out of spray their motor falls short because of the neg timing. It shouldn't blow, but you get the point!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:50 PM
k well thanks

as much as i appreciate the info i have decided not to do nitrous after all. at this point in my life i need to focus my money somewhere else besides my car. so n2o isnt viable right now. i do appreciate all the info, you guys have taught me a lot about nitrous.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:54 PM
yea......hopefully I start thinking likewise soon!

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 7:04 PM
that sucks, but at least your being responsible. Now you need to teach me how that works.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:31 PM
Same happened to me. I just realised I didn't have money for that crap

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:36 PM
yea it jsut hit me, like an opifany(sp). i just know that modding needs to cease for awhile, course i can still do electronic stuff.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 12:55 PM
for some reason i still see nitrous being cheaper than boost... i mean even with the refills, i still dont see how it cost more.... cause you constantly have to tune a turbocharged vehicle so that in itself cost quite a bit...

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:00 PM
you dont have to constantly tune a boosted car

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:57 PM
^^yea if you spend the money to get it done right the first time!

But that and JBO don't really go together lmao!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search