Cheap man's... - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cheap man's...
Friday, May 25, 2007 7:45 PM
I dont want this to turn into a FLAMED thread, so please only people who KNOW what they are tlaking about. PLEASE.

I recently heard about Propane injection, AKA cheap man nitrous.

My main questions are:

will it work with Ecotek engines

Will it work (theoretically) the same way at nitrous

Is it safe (well duh...no, but compared to nitrous...?)

Is it POSSIBLE??

THanks everyone.

and I DO HOPE this has NOT been posted, because i've allready searched for HOURS for somthing like this...

Thanks

Thrice . wrote:i think you should go back and try to actually order some cam valves. see if he has any in stock. then ask him to give you an actual price and show you the website or anything legit about where he orders from...for all you know he is this dumb, and orders things that don't exist....he's probably got 10 of those ebay transistors that gave him eleventy hundred pony power....what a douche.

Re: Cheap man's...
Friday, May 25, 2007 8:04 PM
I don't think it would work like that. I knew a farmer once that had a propane in the back of his truck.he used turned it on when he got low on gas.there was enough to get him to town and fill up.I have no details other than I remember he had a valve of some kind in his glove box.

Friday, May 25, 2007 8:30 PM
the reason being, is that my buddy was in a 'X' car, and the driver was doing a race, he asked him to "flip thet switch when i tell you".

my buddy later learned it was propane. (or supposedly propane)

Now, working in a weld shop, one byproduct of propane is... water.

i know that aint good when it comes to engines, but i was just wondering.

Thrice . wrote:i think you should go back and try to actually order some cam valves. see if he has any in stock. then ask him to give you an actual price and show you the website or anything legit about where he orders from...for all you know he is this dumb, and orders things that don't exist....he's probably got 10 of those ebay transistors that gave him eleventy hundred pony power....what a douche.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:15 AM
No offense but if you can't afford a nitrous setup and the $3.95 a lb. to refill your bottle then I would look into other alternatives to add hp. to your car.If a propane boosted car hasn't been discussed on THIS site then I wouldn't bother.My 2 cents.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Saturday, May 26, 2007 10:16 AM
none taken. however i never said I wanted to do that, i just wanted to know if it was possible/and/or discussed allready.

Nitrous is not illigal in ontario, but insurance companies can cancel insurance on any car beleived to be carrying.

The same doesn't apply to propane.

all i wanted to know was the top questions.

Could a moderator please close this thread, it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:47 PM
Good lord 3.95 a lb? lol... I only pay 2.50 =o but then again when I had to find some in PA while i was there... it was 5.00 a lb... boy that day sucked bad... haha

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:00 PM
propane doesnt boost your power like nitrous. it takes the place of gasoline. so you arent adding anything to the power of your motor, jsut substituting

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Saturday, May 26, 2007 9:25 PM
yeah Mi sucks for jobs and everything is expensive

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:10 PM
wow dude your having some bad luck with threads. at least your thinking outside the box

Monday, May 28, 2007 5:28 PM
Last time I heard J body and propane in the same sentence, it was in the news when a kid blew himself up with a ''home-made'' propane kit!!! Buy a nitrous kit!!!! If you can't afford it, wait until you have the cash to get it!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:25 PM
i thought you really only could propaine inject deasle trucks. probly because of the high compression. makes a lot of power, saw it on trucks.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:59 PM
Propane injection is for diesels, or more specifically, turbo diesels. It adds power by helping flame propagation, as most high output diesel engines don't burn even close to 100% of the fuel that's dumped in, which is why they pour out sooty smoke when they're all hopped up. Adding propane helps burn otherwise unused fuel and helps the engine make more power as a direct result. And since propane is a fuel itself, you can make use of that by turning up the wick a little at the wastegate.

I suppose a propane injection kit on a turbo gas engine might help a little, but mostly because propane has a much higher octane rating than gasoline, so it could help reduce preignition and ward off detonation. Plus, the cooling effect of the propane evaporating in the intake would be a good help on a turbo car. But it's probably best suited for diesels, because theres plenty of things that work better on a turbo gas engine to get better results, like water/alky injection, or small shots of nitrous, which also is a favorite add on for turbo diesels actually.

But as for putting a propane injection kit on a NA car, not only is it dangerous, but it would just throw off the AF ratio, possibly just snuffing out the ignition totally by displacing oxygen.

It's oh so cheesey!
Wednesday, May 30, 2007 5:10 PM
Hmmm....deisel only? Not exactly. One of my dads work trucks use to have propane injection. A gas motor will run just fine on only propane. They actually sell kits to convert or add it to gasoline motors. On a long road trip and close to running ot of gas? Good, flip a switch and you have 600 miles worth of propane sitting in the bed of the truck.
Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:29 PM
Fst Cavy wrote:Hmmm....deisel only? Not exactly. One of my dads work trucks use to have propane injection. A gas motor will run just fine on only propane. They actually sell kits to convert or add it to gasoline motors. On a long road trip and close to running ot of gas? Good, flip a switch and you have 600 miles worth of propane sitting in the bed of the truck.

I was referring to the intent of the original poster's question about adding propane injection to an already existing gas fuel system. If you want to convert, that's one thing, but injecting propane into an engine that's already getting gas, you aren't going to benefit unless you're doing it to compensate for an abnormally high compression ratio and other mods that help the engine breath better than the current fuel system can safely handle. About the only plus to adding propane is the fact that it has a nice high octane rating, as I stated earlier.

It's oh so cheesey!
Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:58 PM
propane is a catalyst thats why it works so good on a diesel just like cheese whiz said and having a conversion done on a truck would be fine but your never really adding pro pane to the gas u just change over one or the other. but trying to add it to something like a j-body would be a real bad idea there is no safe place to put the bottle inside the car is totally out of the question and out side the car there is no place it would be safe from a miner collision unless u were using very small tank but considering the power would be min to zero it would not be worth the risk,money or time keep in mind u could punch a hole in the side of a nitrous bottle and hold a open flame to it and nothing would happen try that with propane and u will die a painful death. if i were u get a methanol injection kit and give that a go its cheap to refill and I'm sure your hp gains will be the same or better and u won't blow up
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search