nitrous backfire - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
nitrous backfire
Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:31 AM
I got my first nitrous backfire tonight, after just finishing the nitrous install i went to test it out sprayed 3 times and on the 4th i tried launching and i think i hit WOT at too low of a RPM bc the next thing I heard was a loud pop and I saw a flame come out from the front of the hood. I pulled over and popped my hood to see my intake was blown apart into about 10 pieces. I was just wondering how many of you guys had this happen before. BTW im running a harris speed works kit on a 75shot and on just an arm and WOT switch

97 Cavy 2.2

Re: nitrous backfire
Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:32 AM
BTW if anyone has a stock 2.4 intake they want to get rid of let me know i need one asap

97 Cavy 2.2
Sunday, October 28, 2007 9:18 AM
never had a backfire for as much as i used the nitrous.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:07 PM
Wow u are lucky u didn't blow that manifold off, lol. This is the reason why i spray in 2,3,4. never 1st cuz ive seen this @!#$ like this happen.
Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:08 PM
It happend again, i made a intake pipe from like dryer vent tube and sprayed in second at like 4k and it didnt even hit it just backfired and then the throttled got stuck so i shut the car off really qucik and pulled over and the intake i made was in little pieces. Now it seems to accel really slow on motor so im going to pull the plugs tomorrow and try to figure out whats wrong with my setup.

97 Cavy 2.2
Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:24 PM
i have a stock 2.4 manifold i wanna get rid of.
lemme know if you're interested.

ccasper@nmu.edu

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:24 PM
Where is the nozzel installed? got any pics? and I'm guessing your stick so I would recomend getting an rpm window switch so you can consentrate on driving and not when you have floor it according to rpms.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:49 PM
The nozzel is hidden under the intake facing up, i dont have any pics i can get some tomorrow

97 Cavy 2.2
Monday, October 29, 2007 7:21 AM
Is this a wet or a dry kit?
Monday, October 29, 2007 10:02 AM
Its a wet kit

97 Cavy 2.2
Monday, October 29, 2007 11:24 AM
Sounds like the nitrous is puddling and then igniting your kinda lucky you havent blown an intake manifold, also if you've had two intakes blow up on you some of the debris might of gotten sucked into your throttle body and fed into your cylinders. thats just my $.02 cents.

Monday, October 29, 2007 5:10 PM
one question why is it under your intake ??? im guessing you have a single fogger wet system it will never atomize correctly like that just put it 6 inches in front of your t.b and you wont have this problem . im guessing you are accidentally letting off the gas before you finish the run or your spraying before you open the t/b and its just filling the intake . if you keep doing that youll blow every intake you put on there or your engine .

13's or blowning it. wayhttp://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/slowfire99/100_0463.jpg
Monday, October 29, 2007 5:46 PM
Its drilled under the intake about 8inches or so from the tb, the reason its under the intake and not on top or on the side is so no one will see it. Im not letting off at all even if i did im still on a WOT so it would stop spraying.

97 Cavy 2.2
Monday, October 29, 2007 11:57 PM
Pull the manifold off and c whats going on.
Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:56 PM
I found out why it was backfiring, i melted 3 plugs im guessing its bc im not running a big enought fuel jet. What size fuel jet are you guys using for a 75 shot? I had a 25 in but just bumped it up to a 28

97 Cavy 2.2
Thursday, November 01, 2007 12:16 AM
Well since u figured out what happened, now do a comp check on your pistons, you can buy the kit at any auto store for 20 bucks. make sure ur getting good comp on all the pistons and then go out and have fun
Saturday, November 03, 2007 10:13 PM
Any updates on your situation? pics of the install....also are you using a wide band for tuneing? whats your fuel pressure at?

Sunday, November 04, 2007 6:24 AM
I got new TR6s gapped them at like 34 then put a bigger fuel jet in at its fine now. I sprayed it atleast 10 times without any backfires. Ill get some pics once i get another stock airbox. No wideband bc the car is still on the stock tune without any changes

97 Cavy 2.2
Sunday, November 04, 2007 8:05 AM
Why did u put a bigger fuel jet in? For a 75 shot you should be using what they recommend, if u put a bigger jet in u will be dumping more fuel in which can cause another nitrous backfire.
Monday, November 05, 2007 9:08 AM
I put a bigger fuel jet in bc when i pulled the plugs 3 of them were melted. A melted plug is caused by running to lean so i went from a .025 fuel jet up to a .028 which seems to be working fine

97 Cavy 2.2
Monday, December 17, 2007 7:46 PM
I've had fuel puddling blow up one intake manifold

good times (on a single nozzle100 wet shot)

Sunday, December 23, 2007 4:06 PM
Was that the stocker 2.4 mani?

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search