nitrous on a stock 2.4 - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
nitrous on a stock 2.4
Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:35 AM
how much of nitrous can a 2.4 handle with a stock motor????? i only have bolt ons which are the cold air intake and crank pulley. for now will be nitrous since i have it already it's dry though and waiting for turbo to get here???

Re: nitrous on a stock 2.4
Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:09 PM
Depends on a few things,I personally wouldn't go higher than a 75 wet shot.If your going to be spraying all the time with a dry I would try a 35-50 shot and work your way up as you continue to add mods such as a MSD DIS2,and others.Just make sure you read thru this forum and you should get your answers

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:13 PM
You also might want to get -2 colder plugs. I know Zex kits come with the plugs to use but they are crap. I personally have sprayed a 65 shot wet on no retard for timing and it held and was very strong. When i ran a 75 shot the first time to be safe i ran it at -4 degrees retarded and the car felt slugish. Just be careful with nitrous, if you use it safe it can be an awesome mod. If you push your luck and try to go big without the proper precautions, you will be pushing your car off the track or street.
Sunday, March 09, 2008 11:55 AM
100 shot with NGK copper core plugs that are two heat ranges colder than stock and the best gas you can find at a pump (at least 92, but 93 or 94 is preferable). And make it wet.

It's oh so cheesey!
Thursday, April 03, 2008 4:58 PM
ok i just sold the dry shot sneaky peak and bought the 10lbs wet from nos. how much will be safest, 35, 50 or 75???? will spray sometimes since it's my daily driving
Thursday, April 03, 2008 5:07 PM
the kit that i bout is a Sniper Wet EFI Nitrous kit. IS THIS THE RIGHT KIT????
Monday, June 02, 2008 11:12 PM
honestly you'd be pushing it over a 50 shot, i know a 75 shot + has been done before, but plain and simple these intake manifold are for DRY flow only (meaning air only) when you start introducing fuel in the air it tends to have poor distribution and the fuel tends to puddle and could lead to a nitrous backfire (not a good thing). If you were wanting to run a higher shot then a direct port nitrous setup would be better, and with the proper tuning, i could see well into the 100's on a stock engine with the proper tune,etc.

I'm building a wetflow intake manifold for a 3.1L right now to do just this, i'm looking at running 150+ shot on the stock bottom end.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 4:00 PM
No matter how much of a "shot"you use,nitrous does damage to internal parts over time,unless the motor is actually built for it.You won't be "pushing" it over a 50 shot,I ran a 75 shot for awhile and had no side affects but I only ran 5 bottles thru the car.You won't necesarily have to worry about fuel puddling if you have the right nozzle.A "soft plume" nozzle is what you want,where there is only one opening instead of two so that the fuel and nitrous mix together better and atomize more effeciently.

Justin,I certainly would like to see this manifold you speak of because I have never heard of a "wetflow" manifold,sounds like something you just made up.I definetely don't think your motor will last on a stock bottom end with a 150+shot,LMAO.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 10:22 AM
Justin_Inc wrote:honestly you'd be pushing it over a 50 shot, i know a 75 shot + has been done before, but plain and simple these intake manifold are for DRY flow only (meaning air only) when you start introducing fuel in the air it tends to have poor distribution and the fuel tends to puddle and could lead to a nitrous backfire (not a good thing). If you were wanting to run a higher shot then a direct port nitrous setup would be better, and with the proper tuning, i could see well into the 100's on a stock engine with the proper tune,etc.

I'm building a wetflow intake manifold for a 3.1L right now to do just this, i'm looking at running 150+ shot on the stock bottom end.

?
are you really telling him that 100HP wet shot on a stock bottom end would be feasible consistently? You might get lucky if you shoot once or twice, but without a progressive controller and forged internals your stock bottom end is toast! I dont care how great of a tune you have, a motor will just not hold that high of a shot stock. Also wetflow? Please do elaborate.

Friday, June 06, 2008 10:53 AM
I am looking to see what I need to run a 75 shot on my stock 02 Z-24 Cavalier w/Twin Cam and cold air intake. I am going to put ARS Head Studs and GM MLS Head Gaskets on. What else do I need to do?
Friday, June 06, 2008 5:58 PM
Versatile1 wrote:I am looking to see what I need to run a 75 shot on my stock 02 Z-24 Cavalier w/Twin Cam and cold air intake. I am going to put ARS Head Studs and GM MLS Head Gaskets on. What else do I need to do?

the only thing you need to do is make sure you have proper fuel pressure before you start spraying to make sure you have ample fuel, another thing is that make sure your car is in proper running condition to run juice. To be safe run a wet kit but other than that you should be fine. Just buy the kit install and have a ball!

Saturday, June 07, 2008 10:43 AM
Versatile1 wrote:I am looking to see what I need to run a 75 shot on my stock 02 Z-24 Cavalier w/Twin Cam and cold air intake. I am going to put ARS Head Studs and GM MLS Head Gaskets on. What else do I need to do?

You can also add an MSD DIS2 to retard timing,I believe the norm is 1-3 deg. per 25hp shot.If your going to put the studs and gaskets on why not just build the bottom end?

Saturday, June 07, 2008 2:41 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:

You can also add an MSD DIS2 to retard timing,I believe the norm is 1-3 deg. per 25hp shot.If your going to put the studs and gaskets on why not just build the bottom end?

x2

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:10 PM
Luis Marroquin wrote:
Justin_Inc wrote:honestly you'd be pushing it over a 50 shot, i know a 75 shot + has been done before, but plain and simple these intake manifold are for DRY flow only (meaning air only) when you start introducing fuel in the air it tends to have poor distribution and the fuel tends to puddle and could lead to a nitrous backfire (not a good thing). If you were wanting to run a higher shot then a direct port nitrous setup would be better, and with the proper tuning, i could see well into the 100's on a stock engine with the proper tune,etc.

?
are you really telling him that 100HP wet shot on a stock bottom end would be feasible consistently? You might get lucky if you shoot once or twice, but without a progressive controller and forged internals your stock bottom end is toast! I dont care how great of a tune you have, a motor will just not hold that high of a shot stock. Also wetflow? Please do elaborate.

A 100 shot on a stock 2.4 bottem end? Yes it can be done. 150 shot can be. It has been done. It was done before we had good tuning options. No MSD needed. Get HPT and tune for it. I plan to run nitrous on my Z later this year. Plan to work my way up to a 150 shot, but direct port.

FU Tuning

Monday, June 16, 2008 9:27 PM
Luis Marroquin wrote:

?

@!#$ rights it can be done. Its all in the setup and tuning. dont run to rich, dont run too lean, use quality fuel, run a fairly 'conservative' timing table, and take all the proper procedures there is absolutely no reason as to why it cannot be done. Dont get me wrong, without alot of work done you'd HAVE to run a Direct port setup for said reasons on intake flow. No need for a 'progressive' controller, a simple window switch is really all you need, however i wouldnt even bother spraying till second gear anyways. Many people run nitrous way too rich, and when the piston 'pops' or you break a ring land many people have very wrong diagnosis as to why it happened. I'm not going to get into the do's and dont's or whys in this thread, if anyone needs/wants to know, feel free to ask/pm me about it.

As for wetflow, think of an old carburated vehicles intake (we will use a SBC for example), they are designed to flow fuel (aka wet) and air through them, and distribute said fuel/air mixture right from the carb as even as possible to each runner with no 'dead' zones where fuel can puddle. Modern EFI engines are not meant to flow wet (aka fuel, etc) due to MPFI and having an injector inject fuel in the port, not 6-8"+ away into a plenum then flow to the port. They are not setup to have to flow said wet mixure and distribute it. but anyways....

I've got the car forsale right now, we'll see if it sells or not (should only asking 1500 safetied) if not then i'll finish the 'budget' nitrous build on it in my spare time (what ever that is?). The car was meant to be my daily driver, as my main focus is my 89 Chevy Stepside LS-X single front mount turbo and will be one of the or if not my last project vehicle as other priorities are starting to take over more and more in life as well as being beyond busy all the time

Saturday, June 21, 2008 10:46 AM
John Higgins wrote:
Luis Marroquin wrote:

?

A 100 shot on a stock 2.4 bottem end? Yes it can be done. 150 shot can be. It has been done. It was done before we had good tuning options. No MSD needed. Get HPT and tune for it. I plan to run nitrous on my Z later this year. Plan to work my way up to a 150 shot, but direct port.

Sure it can be done,Nitro did it with a 100 shot and not much else and ran a low 13 sec run in the 1/4.MSD is not needed but if one doesn't have access to HPT then it would be a good idea.What I am referring to is consitency and reliability.Do you honestly think on an older motor that it will hold up to multiple(10+) bottles being ran thru at a 100-150 shot on a STOCK bottom end?Look at what happened to Skunk's ECO when he ran too much juice over time,it didn't last.I kow what a plate system is for carburated motors and if your building something like that then good luck,I had been running a 75 shot thru my HO manifold and fuel puddling was a concern,that is why I prefer a DP setup

Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:59 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:
John Higgins wrote:
Luis Marroquin wrote:

?

Sure it can be done,Nitro did it with a 100 shot and not much else and ran a low 13 sec run in the 1/4.MSD is not needed but if one doesn't have access to HPT then it would be a good idea.What I am referring to is consitency and reliability.Do you honestly think on an older motor that it will hold up to multiple(10+) bottles being ran thru at a 100-150 shot on a STOCK bottom end?Look at what happened to Skunk's ECO when he ran too much juice over time,it didn't last.I kow what a plate system is for carburated motors and if your building something like that then good luck,I had been running a 75 shot thru my HO manifold and fuel puddling was a concern,that is why I prefer a DP setup

why wouldnt an 'old motor' put up with some abuse? I've done 120 nitrous passes on an 'old worn out' inline 6cylender before. And incase your thinking 'small shots' no it was jetted for 200hp in a plate system, running conservative timing, and the proper tune.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 7:46 AM
I was referring to a 2.4,since that is what the thread title is.I guess if you have nitrous on another car OTHER than your daily driver you can put whatever amount of juice thru it,I however had one vehicle and decided to be smart about it.

I WOULD not recommend continously running a huge shot on a high mileage STOCK 4 cyl motor and expect it to last forever

Sunday, June 22, 2008 2:10 PM
as with any power adder be it nitrous, supercharger, or turbocharger, you cannot expect it to last forever when you start pushing it. That is a fact of life. My honest opinion? with the right nitrous setup, you could run 100-150shot on a stock 2.4 (given that its a multiport nitrous system) for quite some time. Its all about proper use, and proper tuning.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 10:18 AM
I too am wanting to upgrade to a nitrous system on the same motor, and mine is a high mileage as well. Why do yall not like a dry shot? It is easier to intall, right? And if someone went with say a 35-50 shot on a non-tuned engine, just mount and play, that cant be too harmful? I dont know, I just want juice on my ld9 as well.

98z24, lowered 2", aem intake, cat-back striaght pipes!, cop ligths in the front and rear, 18" liquid metal's, primer black, tint, full audio and video.
Saturday, July 19, 2008 4:02 PM
right now im using 75 shot dry and it seems to run like a champ

best time 14.471 1/4 mile at 97 mph!!!!!!!!

Monday, November 17, 2008 7:28 AM
the only way to know for sure is an egt. start small work your way up to the right temp.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:22 AM
I think a 100-150 shot can be done on a 2.4 with a DP kit. It makes a huge difference when each port is getting the same amount of fuel and nitrous being put in. Without a tune and supporting mods i can't see that car running for very long. So for people who are putting on nitrous on their DD probably not a good Idea to run anything over 75shot.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 6:15 PM
You should totally get two bottles. The big ones... TONIGHT.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:24 PM
now im running 150 shot wet with a tune and pistons on 30 and forged with all my block ported its running pretty god
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search