nitrous and engine question - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
nitrous and engine question
Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:44 PM
ok got a good question. ok so im looking at building my engine up for a 100 shot of nitrous. what compression should i run, should i go stock or low or higher. im not like racing it all the time so would running a low compression make the engine run kinda sluggish when not spraying. and i read u need better octane if u run a higher compression. so is stock compression best. and would i need to do anything to the crank if i did build it. i have read the crank is pretty much bullet proof. one more question do they make like a throttle body plate for like a nitrous port. and wet is the way to go correct?
thanks alot Sean

Re: nitrous and engine question
Thursday, May 15, 2008 3:29 AM
Well if your really going to be building a nitrous only motor for your everyday driver thats cool but are you looking for added power off the bottle as well? The bottle only lasts so long eventually you will have to fill it back up faster than you think. I checked your profile and I wouldn't run a single fogger over a 75 shot. Once you start getting into that big of a shot I would direct port so you dont have puddling issues. I would suggest getting some books to read, so you can brush up on your nitrous knowledge. This way you wont blow up the motor by making a simple mistake or listening to what someone else says on how to do your install or determine your jet sizing, timing, etc etc........

what do you really plan on doing to the car?

a book to start with

Thursday, May 15, 2008 8:53 PM
well i would like it as a daily drive just with nos. and im not going to nos it with that big of a shot unless i build the engine first. and i would like a street racer with some extra kick and maybe weekend warrior @!#$(drag). i just want to know kinda what compression to run. and would i really need to upgrade the crank at all. and just do everything else. and just nature aspiration with a big shot.
Friday, May 16, 2008 2:12 AM
Well you could just run a kit on your stock motor. Most eco guys run 50-75 all day long. You dont have to change the compression to run spray, you can just leave it at 10:1. I highly doubt you will get anywhere close to making the kind of power needed to change the crank. If you really want to spray the @!#$ out of it, Just get rods and pistons have them installed in another short block and balanced. Then drop a ported head or your stock head back on it cams optional, with a direct port kit and a proper tune you'll be fine.

Seriously though read up on nitrous before you go any further this way you will know what kit you'll feel like running and what safety features you want to add to the kit to keep you comfortable with it. if your looking for a decent deal on rods and pistons there was a post where another org member was looking to part with some rods and other stuff....I'll see if I can find it to post up.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=20&i=50376&t=50376

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search