1 step colder or 2? What do you need? - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1 step colder or 2? What do you need?
Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:11 PM
Just wandering how you know whether you need 1 step colder or 2 step colder plugs. I've read either/or

Re: 1 step colder or 2? What do you need?
Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:16 PM
At least 1 step colder,that's what I used

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:18 PM
Yeah I know "at least one" step colder. But, why not two even on a small shot. Is there any reason for me to buy one step colder if I might need two colder.

I haven't heard an explanation of why you might need 2 step colder plugs yet

Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:06 PM
Alot of guys running high boost and big shots of n2o tend to go with 2 step colder plugs but their is only a small amount of variance in the heat range so one step will work just fine for you.

Friday, April 24, 2009 3:04 AM
So, really it's more or less a guess?

Friday, April 24, 2009 7:37 AM
No not a guess,Im telling you with running such a small shot you dont need anything more than a one step colder copper plug

Friday, April 24, 2009 12:02 PM
I run the SRT-4 plugs when I'm spraying, they seem to work just great. I think they were like $8 at Pep-Boys too

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Thursday, June 04, 2009 6:40 AM
The rule of thumb with nitrous/boost is that you go (1) step colder for ever 50-75h.p. you add. It's not a scientific thing that someone can explain, it's more-or-less a rule of thumb.

Friday, June 05, 2009 4:00 PM
Get the ACDelco plugs that come with the m45 kit, there great and cheap as hell.. Just got 8 for 13$ from rockauto. Installed them today!

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=341&partnum=R42LTS&a=FR341-R42LTS

Friday, June 05, 2009 4:01 PM
Fail on my part didnt notice you were a eco.

Friday, September 25, 2009 3:58 PM
i ran ngk tr6's and in my friends eco were running srt4 plugs . either ones worked fine for us

PJ

Monday, September 28, 2009 4:21 AM
just go 1 for now, i have 2 but im running a 150 shot so i need them

Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:12 PM
DO NOT run SRT4 plugs!! The thread is a hair too long and with cause a hot spot and detonation.

Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:23 PM
I've also heard this. But its weird, so many people are running them with no problems.
Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:41 AM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:DO NOT run SRT4 plugs!! The thread is a hair too long and with cause a hot spot and detonation.

Joey ran this for forever with no problem in his eco. I'm curious to see results from someone who had the hotspot.

Monday, October 26, 2009 1:39 AM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:DO NOT run SRT4 plugs!! The thread is a hair too long and with cause a hot spot and detonation.

I don't know where you got that information, they same thread and the same 25mm reach ( I think that's what you meant to say). Some of the SRT-4 plugs have a 25.4mm but so do the eco's. I never had any problems with mine at all besides the fun of cold starts when it's really cold.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Monday, October 26, 2009 3:37 AM
Broken head

This is what happened when Skunk ran those SRT plugs, created a hot spot, and blew out a chunk of the head through the gasket. During this thread he assumed it was because of a hot spot but couldn't figure exactly why. In a later thrad he determines that the thread was in too far and collected heat and detonation.

Now it's true that with only running 75 shot and those plugs you might not have a problem, but do you really want to risk it? People have run the NGK plugs that are correct for our cars with over 100 shot. Point is, use what's for our cars not a SRT4

Monday, October 26, 2009 3:41 AM
Plug thread

Here's the other thread

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:28 AM
BTW, after doing my own research (and becoming a mod for ecotecforum's nitrous section) I found the answer to this. There isn't a guess to it. Pretty simple to tell when to use a colder plug.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 5:04 AM
so is there a reason why you have a 20lb bottle of nitrous in your sig but you really have some pink fish net thing in that trunk?

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:13 AM
IDK. Maybe the same reason why you have a 2000 cavalier with a 03+ front end.

It's red btw and was JoeyDaBomb's setup. If you want to comment on the color and paint of the bottle you should try asking him.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:44 PM
WooooooooW Nancy, don't let those fish nets ride your nutz so hard man. I have an 03 front end on it cause I actually own it. Do you own a 20lb bottle? I say replace the 20lb bottle with the custom piece in the trunk!

Anyway, its neither here nor there, sorry I brought it up.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:24 PM
Ok, yet another Org troller douche we have here? Listen, it's my flipping sig. I'll put what I want in it. But since you brought it up, it was made for me by someone else (Ben) that just grabbed the clearest representation of a nitrous bottle he could find off the net. That and the fact that I didn't have the bottle of mine installed yet at the time.

I think you got your panties in a bunch because you think I'm keeping info from you now. Well, I kinda am. As many times as I hear "research" and "do a search man" on here, it's funny that you yourself won't do the leg work to get the answer. And btw, it's not on this site But, if you pick up about any book on nitrous you'll get the answer. Or if you own an Ecotec and visited ecotecforum.com, I'm the nitrous mod over there and would be glad to donate the info. Don't really care if that offends anybody here. This site is about obsolete and has too many tools that don't even own Jbodies anymore.

Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:42 PM
A troll that has been here nearly five years longer than you? Ragin is a @!#$ OG son and has been through more nitrous setups than you can comprehend

Blew it up, build numbers coming soon
Saturday, November 28, 2009 1:44 PM
Good to know, but the fact that he can't answer the original question of this thread makes me respect him less.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search