newb at nos - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
newb at nos
Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:14 AM
so just curious but to run a 50 shot or lower all i'd need is the wet kit and a bottle heater,colder plugs and 89 gas?it's an 03 ecotec automatic tranny.any tips/suggestions on other things that may be needed?

Re: newb at nos
Sunday, August 09, 2009 3:03 PM
far as i've ever known if u run any n2o u need to be running 92 at least, and dont call is NOS unless u mean the brand name kit, otherwise u'll be burned pretty quick

I ran a 75 wet shot for awhile with colder plugs and 92 and I was fine....

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Sunday, August 09, 2009 8:52 PM
Use 92+ gas and throw on a window switch and purge and you're golden. But, I'd suggest reading in this section A LOT before you fill your bottle.

Sunday, August 09, 2009 8:53 PM
i know i know referring to nitrous as nos is a big no no,whatever,it's an easy way to refer to nitrous,i don't really plan on running anything larger than a 50 shot,but i was reading in one of the faqs that 89 was acceptable

Sunday, August 09, 2009 8:54 PM
what is a window switch?i keep seeing it referred to in other threads

Sunday, August 09, 2009 9:54 PM
its an electronic relay that engages the nitrous at a certain window of rpm's... thus called a window switch. It makes it that u set it for say not engaging until 3k rpms and then stopping at 6500 rpms.... or whatever u want it to be at...

Its a little failsafe so u know the n2o isn't gonna go unless ur at the rpm u wanna be at for it to go.

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Sunday, August 09, 2009 10:02 PM
maybe a dumb question but there is an on off switch right?lol.i only want a nitrous set up for track purposes.

Monday, August 10, 2009 9:07 AM
To expand on the window switch.......you want to use a window switch (more in autos than 5spds) to make sure the n2o isn't spraying if/when the car hits the rev limiter. The rev limiter is a fuel cut off. If your car cuts fuel while you are injecting nitrous (alot of air basically) it will cause the engine to go lean and cause detonation. A big no no. This is what causes engines to pop on nitrous and started all the nasty rumors, that still hang around today, that nitrous is bad for the car. Using 89 octane can cuase the same problem.....detonation.

You can avoid using both of these suggestions but you've heard the rumors of what it can do. Do you really want to think that you can beat it.

Monday, August 10, 2009 9:18 AM
nope,i only figured on the 89 cuz it's in one of the faq's,and the window switch sounds good but i don't really want my car sprayin the second i give it gas off the line as soon as it hit's 3k or whatever number do i?would'nt it be better to wait to spray till i'm in second or third?

Monday, August 10, 2009 12:42 PM
you do still have to arm the system..

my window switch has a gear lockout, has to hit the deactivation rpm X times before it engages the system..

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Monday, August 10, 2009 12:52 PM
interesting.anybody have a suggestion on a good/affordable kit,i saw a stage 1 zex kit online,brand new warrantly and everything, then all i'd have to get is the window switch and bottle heater right?thanx for all the help guys.or where to get best kit.

Monday, August 10, 2009 6:33 PM
Zex is a good kit for noobs but don't expect any expanding or upgrading to take place. And if the solenoid in that box sticks, you buying a new box! Cheaper for you if you'd just do some reading and less talking

Monday, August 10, 2009 8:13 PM
www.dynotunenitrous.com

very affordable

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:56 PM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:Zex is a good kit for noobs but don't expect any expanding or upgrading to take place. And if the solenoid in that box sticks, you buying a new box! Cheaper for you if you'd just do some reading and less talking

i have been doing reading,i read the facts and plenty of threads in this forum,just asking some questions along the way.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:15 PM
Honestly, this forum is good for asking questions about nitrous that directly pertain to the Jbody or our engines, but if you want info on n2o try other sites with people who design, sell, and use nitrous daily.

Nitrous Forum
Nitrous Tech
Nitrous Advice

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:17 PM
blucavvy wrote:
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:Zex is a good kit for noobs but don't expect any expanding or upgrading to take place. And if the solenoid in that box sticks, you buying a new box! Cheaper for you if you'd just do some reading and less talking

i have been doing reading,i read the facts and plenty of threads in this forum,just asking some questions along the way.

BTW the reason why I made that comment is because 1 You sounded like you were trying to be cheap and 2 all those questioons have been asked before about 100 times.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:26 PM
well i am pretty cheap,lol,but i will spend the money if i know for a fact that the cheap product is a waste of money.i've never seen that site monkitar sent me to before and they're about half the price on their wet kit than all the others i've found so far,so sorry i am still a newb but i do search before asking,and two i know probly all those questions have been asked before but all the descriptions i found on a window switch were very vague,the way you and justjake explained it laid it out clear as day,so sometimes it's best to just ask.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:30 PM
thanx for the help so far though vitamin E,i do appreciate it.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:27 AM
Welcome. Trust me the flaming never came out. It can get worse.

Just visit those links for nitrous and read around in them. That is everything you could ever want to know about nitrous. Then if you have questions related to your engine or the Jbodys, come back here and ask a quick question.

Don't worry about it bro. I was asking questions just a few months ago. Look down the page. But, sometimes I forget that everybody doesn't know about those other nitrous sites to learn with.

Good luck bro!

Thursday, August 13, 2009 10:57 AM
real N.O.S. = nitrous oxide systems

ricer NOS= nitrous ox side.

its spelled nitrous OXIDE. notice the lack of 's'

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.
Thursday, August 13, 2009 5:06 PM
thanx for the info guys

Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:39 AM

Z yaaaa, whats wrong with that?????

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:05 AM
a lot?

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:19 PM
omg......someone referred to nitrous as nos.....what a ricer!

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:18 PM
^^^^ actually it is.

nitrous is not 'nos'. its spelled nitrous OXide.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search