Cavalier Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming I - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cavalier Keyless Entry Remotes & Programming I
Monday, October 17, 2005 5:41 PM
What does your local dealer charge for GM keyless entry remotes?

My Chevy dealer wants $119 a piece plus $35 for programming for each of my cars (97 Z24, 02 LS).

I'm curious to see what other dealerships are charging for new remotes and programming.

I'm done with ebay because the listings show new remotes, and 3 out of 3 times I've won - I end up with junk that doesn't work and won't program. First one was superglued together and cracked. Can't check the battery if you can't even open it. Second one was completely corroded inside from water and didn't work. The 3rd one only 1 button worked and it looked like someone tried to superglue the circuit board pieces back together. Each one was advertised as new, or like new and they obviously weren't anywhere close to that. The Keyles Ride site is run by one of those same lying ebay sellers, so thats off the list too.

What does your local dealership charge? I bet there's some that want even more than what mine is charging.

Re: Cavalier Keyless Entry Remotes & Programmi
Monday, October 17, 2005 6:05 PM
If you are dumb enough to take it to them to have it programmed, then you deserve to get taken. You can program teh key fob for your 97 by yourself. Your 02 Iam not sure on the set up, you might need a tech2 to program the remote. On your 97 in the trunk on hte left hand side, when you pull your trunk matt back you will notice that there is a blacj box in the corner above the wheel well, That is you remote actuator that makes your doors and trunk unlock. If you look at the box you will notic ethat there is one wire that is hanging loose on the right hand side with a female connector attched to the harness. Taht is used to program your locks. All you have to do is take a metal paper clip and make sure that the two prongs in the switch are touching the paperclip. If you did it correctly then your doors will lock and unluck, and you trunk will also click open. Now take your new remote, and hold the lock and unlock at teh same time, untill ou hear the doors lock and unlock, and teh truck click open. You repeat this one after anouther for how ever many remotes that you are gonig to program. You can have up to 4 total. Also, you need to have a key in the ignition and turned to the ON position. As far as testing your remotes to see if they work, either buy new ones, or go to ta dealer and have them test them witha remote key fob tester. They do exisist, I have one at the dealership that i work at. It will tell you if the remote is sending a signal or not, or if it iss junk. Also make sure that yuou have the right ype of remote. 95-99 had one type and 00-05 had a different type. Your 02 you might have to go to the dealer to do, unless you have a tech 2 handy. Hoped it helps out.

I am what I am and it is what it is.
I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Monday, October 17, 2005 6:10 PM
Quote:

If you are dumb enough to take it to them to have it programmed, then you deserve to get taken.

Sorry for the smart ass remark, didn't see that your a newbie and that you signed up today. Do your self a favor and finish your registry, it doesn't take that long unless you have an ass load of mods that you have to list, you didn't even list what ype of cars that you have. Finish it up kid, and welcome to the ORG.

I am the 2nd most untrusted person in the world next to a lawyer,welcome to our dealership, may I help you?
Monday, October 17, 2005 6:10 PM
Thanks, the programming should come in handy if I can find another source for the remotes. Any sources to buy the factory remotes besides the dealership or ebay?
Monday, October 17, 2005 6:39 PM
If you can get a part number for the key fob, then you can order one from from GM Parts direct, and get the fob at cost, I'm not sure what the difference in price will be but it is worth a try. Go to google and type in GM Parts Direct and when you get to the website you will have to punch in a part number. When entered correctly, it will show you the part discription, and the cost of the part.

Monday, October 17, 2005 7:17 PM
I just got a second remote for my '00 Z24. The one I got with the car didn't work, so the salesman put me on a list for when another one happened along. I picked one up on ebay for .99 and the condition is fine but the picture on the unlock button is worn - wasn't advertised as new - its what I expected. The dealer is going to try program it for free. I suspect the original will work too if they try it. The seller was 0t4ertw and has pretty good feedback.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:50 AM
I found another site online that I'm willing to give a shot - www.ThePartsYouNeed.com

The other KR site wants about $60 a piece with shipping for the 97 Cavalier remote.

They're 1/2 that price on ThePartsYouNeed site with the instructions included. I ordered 1 this morning.

https://www.thepartsyouneed.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=986

I'll keep you guys posted. If it works good, I'm going to order one for my 02 as well.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:05 PM
Damn, I wish I'd seen this post earlier. i have a bunch of known good remotes just sitting here... You could have had one for free

I go to the wreckers and get them.... if it's in a dry car, then it's pretty good chance it's still good!

...j

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:48 PM
Hehe...well almost thanks then!

I only have a select few junkyards out my way, and they're just old wrecks, like 60s-70s stuff, so I'd never be able to score remotes like that. Did you just find them in the car itself? I would have figured something like that would be sorted through by the yard employees before it was dropped on the lot.
Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:18 PM
Ya same here - i have a remote that you could have had - well actually it might work for your '02 - cause its a little different than the one in that pic - let me know if your interested and i can get u a pic

-Seth

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:31 PM
Here they put the keys with remotes into the ignition and secure it there with a metal cable. So if someone wants a set of locks, they have it all kept together. As long as there's still a windshield (which there usually is, if the airbags went... but it's smashed...), the rain stays off the dash and the remote is still good. I grab the ones off the cars that have been sitting for a long time and are about to go to the metal salvage... I usually grab the BCM, radio, etc too... stuff I can sell on Ebay

Saturday, October 22, 2005 3:55 PM
I got my remote from ThePartsYouNeed.com in the mail today. 4 days isn't bad for delivery.

Programming was easy, took about 10 seconds. I can't believe a dealership would charge 1/2 hour of labor for a 10 second job. Thats a good way to lose customers.

Anyhow, the remote works great and when I went to put in an order for remote for the 02 I noticed I got free shipping, so I bought a 2nd remote for the 97 and a pair for the 02. FINALLY I will have remotes that work and that I can use.

ThePartsYouNeed.com rocks!
Saturday, November 12, 2005 9:09 AM
I am searching the instructions on how to program a factory keyless remote for 2002 Cavalier Z24 (this is the last Z24 model before GM switched over to the updated Cavalier in the middle of 2002). I found the web sites for buying the factory keyless remote replacement. But, I have been out of luck finding the programing instructions. I don't want to go the dealer for this as it seems it is very simple (as long as the instructions are available).

Anyone can show me the link or instructions on this matter?

YS
Sunday, November 13, 2005 1:09 PM
^ for any 2000-up Cavalier you need to go to the dealer to get it programmed, there is no other way to do it.
Sunday, November 13, 2005 1:55 PM
Picked up my remote for $10 on ebay, got it programmed for free at the dealer

Keyless entry pwnz.

Monday, November 14, 2005 4:36 PM
Yeah, the remotes for the 02 are here 02 Cavalier Remotes but it is a dealer computer programming required thing. It takes them 10 seconds, so just call a few local GM dealers til you get one that says they'll program it for you for FREE.
Wednesday, February 10, 2016 9:27 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the key fob I tried the site that was posted and it said it couldn't be loaded and I just bought my 2002 Chevy cavalier z24 and the key fob I have doesn't work it is worn out
Wednesday, February 10, 2016 9:44 PM
Way to bring up a post from 2005
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search