Stupid DRLs - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stupid DRLs
Sunday, May 28, 2006 3:15 PM
alright... so here's my issue... first off i have a 2001 sunfire... and it all started last night... lol

whenever i turn on my car, the DRLs (gauge light and actual lights) flicker on and off for a few seconds, then they all turn off and the "SERVICE" light appears on my cluster... any idea what's going on?

please help asap!

Re: Stupid DRLs
Sunday, May 28, 2006 4:07 PM
Couple Options:
1- Have you done the DRL disable? If so, check your ground. I was having the same issue with mine and it was just poorly grounded.
2- If no DRL disable, check your lights one might be burnt-out.
3- if it's burnt-out/ not working, check the plug that you put the light into. Before i did the disable, i had a problem where my driver-side light kept going on me.... I would just replace it. By the 3rd time in just as many months, I got a little worried. I inspected the light plug and it was fried. Had to replace the whole darn thing.
4- If none of the above...... Not a clue.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 4:19 PM
well... the lights work when i turn them on... just not the daytime-running lights...

what do you mean by the DRL disable/ground? sorry i just don't really know much about this... thanks for everything so far though
Monday, May 29, 2006 7:12 PM
bump... come on guys i know someone knows what i'm talking about!
Monday, May 29, 2006 9:55 PM
I had that same problem when I did the DRL disable. That happened because I was stupid and ground the wrong end of the wire. I then got the bright idea to ground the other wire, problem was fixed. In other words it maybe the ground for you DRL's that went bad. I would just do the DRL disable and call it a day.
Monday, May 29, 2006 11:00 PM
look at top of this forum for help on the drl disable, its mad easy

1/2 wrenches out out 10

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:26 PM
could be the relay

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:32 AM
check your high beam lights

Monday, May 12, 2014 3:52 PM
Alright we will bring this back from the dead instead of starting my own. I have the same issues described here except my highbeams don't work. Also if I don't let the car warm up the headlights turn off what I use my blinker. should I be looking into just the harness being the issue or is there something else going on here?

Monday, May 12, 2014 3:52 PM
I would also like to point out that I have replaced the relay and the switch.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 11:22 AM
check your grounds,

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:12 PM
I'm trying to chase down the same issue. At this point, my research points towards ground G102, located under the battery tray. Apparently common, corrosion from battery leakage can cause issues with this grounding point.
Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:29 PM
Might also be the GM Splices in the headlight harness, there will be a few splices (1 wire in to 2 wires) that gm used a metal crimper and wraped it with some sort of tape I just fixed mine and it was doing the same thing basically disconect the headlight harness from the car, remove tape and loom to find the splices,remove the metal crimps and fix with solder and heatshrink, Tape back up don't for get to screw the ground back on.
Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:50 PM
Sunfireman2007 wrote:Might also be the GM Splices in the headlight harness, there will be a few splices (1 wire in to 2 wires) that gm used a metal crimper and wraped it with some sort of tape I just fixed mine and it was doing the same thing basically disconect the headlight harness from the car, remove tape and loom to find the splices,remove the metal crimps and fix with solder and heatshrink, Tape back up don't for get to screw the ground back on.

They used the same style crimp connector for all the grounds in the injector harness on the ecos. Ask me now I know -__-

"In Oldskool we trust"
Thursday, May 15, 2014 11:37 AM

They used the same style crimp connector for all the grounds in the injector harness on the ecos. Ask me now I know -__-

Good to know time to do that to my eco injector harness so it don't happen to me to.
Thursday, May 15, 2014 6:26 PM
Should a thread be made that lists all of the common little things one should check like the splices in the injector harness or the ground under the battery?

My sig- "Doing what needs to be done, although satisfactory, is a far cry from what can be done."
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search