My "Big 3" Wiring - Just Finished - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My "Big 3" Wiring - Just Finished
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:27 PM
Well it was a fun weekend project. I always like doing these kinds of things. It took me a few hours but I was just taking my time, double checking lengths and mounting locations and just making sure everything worked ok. I had to uninstall my alternator on my 2.4l to access the positive terminal. That was probably the most difficult part the project, and to be honest it was my first time uninstalling and reinstalling an alternator, and it was not that hard at all. Anyways I used 4awg wiring, 150a fuse, audiopipe battery post terminals and a few ring terminals. Ohh and also a new Optima Yellow Top battery Anyways, on to the pictures.

Let me know what you think...ohh and if I messed anything up let me know, haha.

Re: My "Big 3" Wiring - Just Finished
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:39 PM
It's pretty. But paint the yellow top red.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 9:43 PM
I know, I wanted to! I think I'm going to, lol.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 3:26 AM
That looks real good bro!

Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:06 AM
Damn... so you gotta remove the alt huh? That looks like a PITA.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:14 AM
Well worth it though. Removing the Alt isn't necessary, but it makes a few things a lot easier.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:11 AM
Corsica Dude wrote:Damn... so you gotta remove the alt huh? That looks like a PITA.

Hey, I thought it was going to be. Honestly though, it was pretty easy. It looks like you have to take the intake manifold off but you dont. Just loosen the tensioner. Then the alternator is held in my 3 bolts, one is tricky to get to because u have to go through the intake manifold pipes to get to it but all it took was 2 wratchet extensions and an elbow(Helps to take them together just so they dont fall apart). That one doesnt have to come out all the way though because the mounting bracket is open on one end so you can just slide it out, if that makes sense? The other two are cake. Then just disconnect the plug and unscrew the nut off the positive post to put on your new ring terminal.

Thanks everyone.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:20 AM
nice...looks well done!! cant wait to get around to doing mine..

Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:20 AM
also...how much wiring did u use total?

Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:44 AM
Thanks Joey!

Optima Yellow Top- $180.00
10 Feet 4awg Wire- $15.00
Audiopipe Platinum Positive Battery Terminal- $12.50
Audiopipe Platinum Negative Battery Terminal- $12.50
Sound Quest Open End Fuse Holder- $7.00
Stinger 150a ANL fuse- $9.50
Ring Terminals- $6.00

Everything minus the battery was just over 60 but you can do it for alot less if you dont use a fuse or top post battery terminals. I would suggest using a fuse to the alternator though.

Re: My
Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:50 AM
BTW I double posted one of the pictures and left one out....here is the missing one. Not that it's a very important pic or anything, lol.

That one shows the wire running from the fuse > along the frame > under the alternator > alternators positive post. It also shows the wire going from the chassis to the alternator mount/bolt.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:02 PM
How is that fuse holder attached?

Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:56 PM
self tapping sheetmetal screws.....2 of them. You're prolly wondering how I got a drill in there....it was kinda tough, haha.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:11 PM
looks decent except your power location is poor. front end accident thers a good possibility of shorting out the wire. shoulrd run it back away from the front end closer to the engine. other then that looks good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:25 PM
sndsgood wrote:looks decent except your power location is poor. front end accident thers a good possibility of shorting out the wire. shoulrd run it back away from the front end closer to the engine. other then that looks good.

Accidents? I dont get in those! lol, I may have to change that then...hmmm. Thanks for the heads up though.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:38 PM
i didnt have to take my alt. off to get to my positive side, i guess i have smaller hands that can get into tight places

Friday, November 03, 2006 7:29 AM
Yeah, it's not really neccassary but I did it just to make things a little easier to get at. Plus your smaller hand prolly helped a little bit I'm 6'5" so my hands are pretty F***n big, lol.

Saturday, November 04, 2006 9:32 AM
Looks like a good clean install. Why the rag under the clutch master cylinder?

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j130/mykeln/mysig.jpg
Saturday, November 04, 2006 3:02 PM
looks good! and i like the cleaness

Who needs a sig?
www.sinisterimages.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search