Why NOT to buy 6x9 and 4x6 speakers - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Why NOT to buy 6x9 and 4x6 speakers
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:02 AM
In the past we have had some varying discussion on replacing stock speakers and what sizes to purchase. The following may help with any future debates.

In the May 2008 issue of Car Audio & Electronics on page 9, the explanation is this, for a reader who wants the bass of a 6x9:

Derek Lee wrote: (of CA&E's Troubleshooting Column) The sheer bass content of any dynamic speaker is dominated by the cone area and excursion of the cone. It's a matter of how much air a speaker can shovel.....twin 6.5-inchers would give you around 60in squared of cone area if it were all cone. If the excursion or "stroke" were the same in all cases, the twin 6.5" option would give you more bass than a 6x9.

...The narrower sides of the cone are considered stiffer than the long ends, resulting in wave distortion as the long ends bend instead of keeping up with the middle of the cone.

The only reason 6x9 speakers (and 5x7, 6x8, 4x6, and 4x10 speakers) ever existed was because carmakers punched the holes to specifically accomodate their own oval speakers.

So if you want a speedy install into a pre-punched 6x9 opening, then a 6x9 is the answer.
...Remember, it's 'cause stock sucks, so don't feel you need to follow a carmaker's bad example.

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum

Re: Why NOT to buy 6x9 and 4x6 speakers
Tuesday, March 25, 2008 8:17 AM
Interesting. Thank you.

Thursday, April 03, 2008 6:07 PM
hmm... so... thats saying basically... 6X9s are a bad idea... go with something normal.. like a 6 1/2 or something like that..?

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Thursday, April 03, 2008 6:59 PM
I cant wait to get my new alpine type s 4x6 and type r 6x9s put in...

6 1/2 = Over rated

Friday, April 04, 2008 6:23 AM
Good thinking. No reason to listen to anyone that knows what they are doing.

Friday, April 04, 2008 9:50 AM
For me anyways, this begs a question. If you're concerned enough with bass output that you're willing to modify your stock mounting to use a round speaker instead, is it not also likely you could have redirected your attention to finding a place to mount some kind of standalone subwoofer? I realize some installations don't offer the extra space, and don't get me wrong -- I went with 6.5s up front. I suppose I could have used something other than 6x9's in the rear, but I didn't think it was necessary when they were about a foot away from a pair of 12" subs.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Friday, April 04, 2008 9:52 AM
derek only spoke of the bass aspect. he didn't get into the engineering sideof it. drop in speakers like that are meant for what they are named. drop in. someone wanting to spend a small amount of cash to get some better sound that they can just drop in and replace their stock stuff. the amount of engineering on these wont be as high as with componet sets where the company knows their dealing with someone more willing to put some effort in to get good sound.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Saturday, April 05, 2008 4:27 PM
The way I read it, he's saying two 6.5" speakers will give you more bass than one 6x9...so what. Unless your going to run 4 rears instead of 2, then what does this matter?
Saturday, April 05, 2008 4:40 PM
Bill Schmidt wrote:The way I read it, he's saying two 6.5" speakers will give you more bass than one 6x9...so what. Unless your going to run 4 rears instead of 2, then what does this matter?

then you read i wrong. the main point was that the long ends of the cone distort.

car audio noob since 1984.
Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:33 PM
I read it that way also, like he was saying that running 2 pair of 6.5's is gonna give you MORE and BETTER BASS than a single pair of 6x9's.

Monday, April 07, 2008 6:28 AM
Who is good at math? All we have to do is calculate the square inches of a set of 6x9s and see if it is greater than the total of a pair of 6.5s.

Monday, April 07, 2008 10:57 AM
Ok some rough calculations give me the area of a 6.5 round speaker as ~ 33.2 inches. (3.14 x r * r ) A 6x9 is going to give you ~ 43.2 inches ( 6 x 9 x .8) (This forumula is supposed to give you the area of an oval within about 5

So it seems to me you'd get more bass out of the 6x9. That's not saying anything about the quality of the sound, though.
Monday, April 07, 2008 4:30 PM
woooot rock on for using any coax for bass this is kind of a stupid topic most rear sepakers are use for fill and how many people that look on here dont plan on having subs. Dont get me wrong I hate 6x9's but still this is kind of a choice thing still.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 9:26 AM
people are getting to hooked up on the first part of the article. heres the important part.

"The narrower sides of the cone are considered stiffer than the long ends, resulting in wave distortion as the long ends bend instead of keeping up with the middle of the cone.

The only reason 6x9 speakers (and 5x7, 6x8, 4x6, and 4x10 speakers) ever existed was because carmakers punched the holes to specifically accomodate their own oval speakers.

So if you want a speedy install into a pre-punched 6x9 opening, then a 6x9 is the answer.
...Remember, it's 'cause stock sucks, so don't feel you need to follow a carmaker's bad example.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, April 11, 2008 10:04 PM
eh. who needs rear fill. i only run a front stage and thats PLENTY for me. altho i do run 6.5 comps and will never use anything else. but. still. who needs it. it gets plenty lound and sounds great.

Friday, April 11, 2008 11:04 PM
RedlineZ wrote:btw..for the above post^^ I have read that same post about 20 times...we get the picture. Just most of us are ok with "ok" bass. Yeah I have Polk MMC6500's in my doors and they do sound amazing..I just can't afford another pair of high end 6.5's. I have not heard the difference between the bass my 6x9 puts out and the bass my 6.5 puts out. I will admit..those numbers are probably right..I'm sure a round speaker is alot more efficient that a oval speaker..makes sense..I just havn't heard it yet..

Mennitti, I eat my words. I just got done installing my Polk/MOMO 6.5" components. I have about 60 watts on them right now...and the bass is louder and punchier than my 6x9's. I had them installed in my old car..but the install was hasty and half done. I took some time and did everthing right..including using some techniques I learned on this forum..and the sounds is amazing..and so is the bass. Who woulda thunk?
Saturday, April 12, 2008 10:09 AM
That's awesome. It makes driving the car so much more fun when you do something to make it sound better than it did.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search