amp goes into protection mode when connect rca cables - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
amp goes into protection mode when connect rca cables
Monday, May 12, 2008 10:19 PM
i have a 2 channel audiobahn amp that goes off to protection everytime i try to connect rca jacks... with power/ground/remote the protection light is off but then goes on again when i connect my RCAs... anybody know why that is so?

Re: amp goes into protection mode when connect rca cables
Monday, May 12, 2008 11:02 PM
RCAs must be grounded improperly

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Monday, May 12, 2008 11:14 PM
they can be grounded?
Monday, May 12, 2008 11:29 PM
grounding should be ok on amp and HU , i am not sure what you mean by grounding RCAs... what else could be the problem? anyone?
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 1:13 AM
my amp was the same way. and it was a bad ground at the amp. everthing was fine until i connected the rca's so i say find a better ground. and what gauge is the ground wire you are running to your amp maybe it is just to dinky. im only asking cause i have sean some people that have run speaker wire as there ground.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 3:23 AM
try disconnecting your remote wire, connecting your rcas and then connecting your remote wire

"I did it because I wanted to see what it would look like. You should be greatful that I even told you that it would look good. If your to dumb to use photoshop and change the color of your own car then you don't need to see it changed. I'm not going to give my work away. I'll sell the pic to you though for $15."-Adam Kalin

^^JBO is about not being that guy
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:52 AM
ok so i did what chris said and now the light goes off when i connect the remote wire and RCAs are fine. so what does it mean?
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:40 AM
*goes on
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:15 AM
ok i tried another amp and it won't power up as well, so there's gotta be something wrong with my wiring... amp is grounded no doubt, i don't know what else to think of?!
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 2:04 PM
i tripled checked all the wiring... i even measured current with volt meter, everything IS hooked up right, but none of the amps work... this just can't be...
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:50 PM
And you're SUUUURE that you didn't do something like switch power and remote around, or remote and ground, or something?

Another possibility is to disconnect the subs, they might be wired at too low an impedance.

Also lower the gain.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:21 PM
wiring is done right 100 %... i have current flowing as normal and is grounded, and i get a signal from a deck, as well as RCAs are hooked propertly. the deck is not a problem i am sure of, but amps i am not too sure about, it could be that they're both broken, but i just have difficulty believing that....
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 10:40 PM
1 amp and sub is working! thanks guys for your inputs! system sounds much better now with a sub... tomorrow i am going to try to amp 1 pair of speakers (hoping that the other amp works too)
Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:56 AM
What was the problem?

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 4:03 PM
grounding... i had to sand off paint from a bolt i was gonna ground to... turns out that paint is an insulator for current flow... i also burn a fuse ... but now both amps are running and overall sound is much better, except that the sub is not really astounding and 1 amp overheats (i think). now i need to start sound deading the whole car cause it viobrates like a mofo.
Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:51 PM
My amp does this too but its not my wires cuz I hooked up my over amp and it worked lol so what can that b
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:36 PM
joshua tisdale wrote:My amp does this too but its not my wires cuz I hooked up my over amp and it worked lol so what can that b

probably something wrong with the amp its self. if the second one does work and the first one doesn't then there's a problem with it.

150.0 DB, Loudest in Atlantic Canada, Street Class A.
Next year 155 DB
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search