Frequently Asked Car Audio Questions - Page 2 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Frequently Asked Car Audio Questions
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 11:20 AM
Thank you

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL

Friday, October 13, 2006 8:14 PM
Can someone go into detain how to get your new deck working with out a wiring harness like the wiring color scheme, how to wire and where to wire the 12+ and others thx im in a pickle and cant find any help or info
Sunday, October 15, 2006 5:16 PM
There's wiring info in the sticky, if you can't figure it out, send it to a professional.

Friday, February 02, 2007 12:07 PM
2000-2005 Cavalier/Sunfire owners -

Confused on which harness to get? Don't want to spend high dollars on an install? Do yourself a favor and get a wiring harness for a 2000 Geo Tracker or a Chevy Trailblazer. Get yourself an add-a-circuit as well - you can get them at your local auto parts store. Get the one with the small fuse, not the bigger fuses.

Wire your harness as you normally would but one exception - the red wire - the switched 12 volt wire - you're not going to wire into the harness. Instead, crack open that add-a-circuit and get the 10 amp fuse. Put the 10 amp fuse in, unplug your winshield wiper fuse, and put the add-a-circuit into the wiper fuse slot. Replace the fuse into the add-a-circuit, wire up your red wire to the add-a-circuit wire (you're going to need a short piece of 18 gauge wire to do this) and voila! Your radio will work now.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 12:30 AM
my wire were chopped when i got my car and i didnt know of ne harnesses then i could use at thar time so what are the wires for constant, Memory, or ignition?

2004 sunfire base coupe

set the example, never let the example set you.
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 8:54 AM
Radio 12v orange + radio harness
Radio Ground black - radio harness
Radio Ignition (Class 2 Serial Data)
Radio Illumination gray (dimmer) + radio harness
Factory Amp Turn-on pink + radio harness or amplifier
LF Speaker +/- tan - gray +,- radio harness
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - dk. green +,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- brown - yellow +,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- dk. blue - lt. blue +,- radio harness

This is for all 2000+ J-bodies.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:45 PM
I trying to figure out how to tune my amp...

I have the Rockford Fosgate Punch 201S.

Amplifier Type: Dual Channel
Bridgable: Bridgable
RMS Power at 4 Ohms: 50 W x 2
RMS Power at 2 Ohms: 100 W x 2

My amp is wired like this..

so i believe I'm running it at 2 ohms. But since it's bridged does that mean I'm only running 200 watts RMS to it? So then if this is right, According to Lanman31337's amp tuning how-to then I times 200w x 2ohm = 400. square root of 400 = 20. So do I set my gain until it reads 20 on my multimeter....also what setting do i set my multimeter to? I just bought it so I dont know what setting to use. Thanks for all this help, I just want to get my amp tuned, lol.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 5:11 PM
Your amp is only stable to 4ohms when bridged, here are the specs...

Specifications:
50 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
100 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
200 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms
Stereo or bridged mono output
4-ohm stable in bridged mode

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:42 PM
All i know is that I have it hooked up how I have it diagramed above and its slammin....Can you tell me if everything else that i stated above is correct though so i can go ahead and tune it? thanks bro!

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:43 PM
Your amp is going to cook fets in the not too distant future. I'd wire each coil off of a channel to play it safe.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:53 PM
Here's a question. How can you tell if your amp will run at a lower-than-rated impedance?

Sunday, May 27, 2007 11:18 AM
99.999 percent of the time they won't unless they're modded. When you add speakers and put more of a load on the system, you either cook mosfets, or the power supply. High current amps sometimes you can get away with lower impedence, but you also have to boost the voltage and pray box rise kicks in

Sunday, June 24, 2007 6:27 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2005 ls sport cavy and have upgraded the headunit with a 2 din nav unit and just got speakers to replace my stocks today with infinity kappas. I installed the unit with a wiring harness but the car has the monsoon amp. The fronts have only 2 wires but the rears have 4. Can I just wire the rears up to just one of the + and one - or do i need to bypass the amp all together? If so, how or should I run new speaker wire from the unit to the rest of the speakers?
Friday, August 24, 2007 1:47 PM
in the sticky it says for tuning an amp only set it to 3/4 volume. what is the difference if i turn it to a different volume? say...full volume? is there a reason for only doing it up to 3/4?

also, after running the voltmeter diagnostic on the amp, can we still change the eq's back to what we had originally?
Friday, August 24, 2007 1:51 PM
Most stereos distort their output after 3/4s

Thursday, September 06, 2007 8:57 AM
That is correct. most units do distort after 3/4 volume. only true way to check is with an ocilloscope, but that's another story. also, after gains are set, leave them. don't add bass or turn up the bass boost on the amp. when you do, you're adding more voltage, and it's not a clean sound.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:06 AM
just reaized why his car stereo has had a short shelf life since starting in 1997
Any recomendations on a good sub set up to go with a rockford power 800a2? the interiors are bostons powered by a jl 300/4.
thanks
mike

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:40 PM
Try posting this in the regular forum, not the sticky. You're going to get 10,000 opinions.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:30 PM
i'm assuming that once we have the amped tuned to the proper output that we can use our EQ's again? in the sticky it says to turn them all off but i'm not sure if turning them back on will disrupt the work i will have done to tune the amps properly...another dumb question but i dont see it in the sticky that you can turn them back on again lol

Friday, December 28, 2007 12:26 AM
ive got an 01 cavy, hooking up the harness to the aftermarket HU, cant figure out why i have two black wires. One is thicker than the other but im having a tough time with this and im too cheap to take it to a professional. Does anyone know what the extra black one is for? also If you had a diagram for the entire harness (NOT JUST THE SPEAKERS) of the car this would make it much faster for me.
Friday, December 28, 2007 1:22 AM
Ive got two black wires, one thicker than the other. One orange wire, and one purple wire that i have no idea what to do with.

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:33 AM
To ADD, at the beginning of this swap, my brother (who did this on his two previous vehicles) cut the female connector head from the harness.. The dome light then shut off in the car. Weird thing is, the connector wasnt plugged into anything. Could this be a broken fuse that would stop the Head Unit from working now??

As far as me not knowing which wire goes to where except the speakers..
Ive tried all wire combinations and still my aftermarket Head Unit does not work.
Monday, January 07, 2008 5:54 AM
Go to a junkyard and cut the end off of a radio, or some car audio shops will have a female harness. Did you hook the red from the radio into the wiper fuse?

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:35 PM
I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to take a newer [00+] Cavy LS / Z24 stereo CD and tape and put it into my father's 86 GMC Caballero. Fit wise it should be fine, but my only worry is wiring and the locking factor.
Monday, January 14, 2008 10:52 AM
The LOC is going to get ya. You might want to go aftermarket on that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search