Temple of boom is being rebuilt - Page 19 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Temple of boom is being rebuilt
Thursday, March 10, 2011 5:34 AM
Looks just like the old style RE MT basket

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:52 AM

4 ports, 30, 35, 42 and 56 hz tunings.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:24 AM

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:11 AM
if you want a really loud box for 2 12s i can flip ya the design

click sig for my car audio videos
Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:38 AM
I'll let you know how this sounds. These subs are meant for small boxes, so I've got around 3.8 cubes with subs and port after displacement for the pair.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:41 AM
Class D is the way of the future.

Waiting for more pics!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:52 PM
now, from my testing it isnt about what the subs like (cause lets be honest subwoofers are subwoofers, they are all FAIRLY similair) its all in how the bandpas of the vehicle your working around works. as in, we could put any of my single 12 boxes in another vehicle and it would fall on its face (yes even a crx!!! lost 4 db) so basically when a company comes in and says hey my subwoofer like small boxes, the main reason why they say those things, is do to the vehicle they tested with... but some do like small boxes, some do like big boxes, its all in how it fits into the band pass of the vehicle...

idk if i just made sense there or not. but thats what ive found.

for example, a guy built a 1.5 cubic foot box for his crx, did a 146.x at 500 watts, put it in my car and it wouldnt do @!#$, like a 142 at however any watts i had. put the sa in my box for my car, does a 144.8 at 500 watts, put that box in his crx, does a 142.x lol... the vehicle likes what the vehicle likes. sometimes the subwoofer just doesnt care.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:11 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:now, from my testing it isnt about what the subs like (cause lets be honest subwoofers are subwoofers, they are all FAIRLY similair) its all in how the bandpas of the vehicle your working around works. as in, we could put any of my single 12 boxes in another vehicle and it would fall on its face (yes even a crx!!! lost 4 db) so basically when a company comes in and says hey my subwoofer like small boxes, the main reason why they say those things, is do to the vehicle they tested with... but some do like small boxes, some do like big boxes, its all in how it fits into the band pass of the vehicle...

for example, a guy built a 1.5 cubic foot box for his crx, did a 146.x at 500 watts, put it in my car and it wouldnt do @!#$, like a 142 at however any watts i had. put the sa in my box for my car, does a 144.8 at 500 watts, put that box in his crx, does a 142.x lol... the vehicle likes what the vehicle likes. sometimes the subwoofer just doesnt care.

Resonating frequency and sub/port configuration is where it's at. Our resonating frequency is around 49 hertz. I went big to keep impedence rise to a minimum, and smaller than normal port for cone control. I did a real low tuning, a daily tune, and two spl tunes. The 42 hz port should peak around 49, and the 56 hz has a crazy stupid peak at 60 hz to about 63 hz. The high tune creates the tiny passband, but just crunching the numbers thru winisd (i had the spare wood) the 56 hz should net me a +8db gain. It'll sound like crap on music, but it'll peak stupid high.

As far as the CRX, they love sub up port back. Same in our cars causes tons of cancellation, unless you crack a window.

It's not so much a company says "my sub needs a small box/big box", T/S parameters denote whether it'll play great in a small sealed box or a huge ported box tuned high. If I went much bigger than what I have, then I wouldn't be able to run full power because the sub would start to bottom out.

Brad - I am really feeling the new 4 channel. I still have a bit of a ground loop, and I think it's because my shaved antenna isn't grounded. But I haven't lost any of my spectrum going from it, and it's a lot more efficient than my A/B was.

Monday, May 09, 2011 4:57 AM

Amps mounted in the back of the box, wiring everything up.

Yup, it's in. I know I need some wire management, need to pick up a little split loom. Gains are way down to break in the subs, they sound good. I have the 32hz port in.

Monday, May 09, 2011 6:30 AM
Totally forgot to text you back the other day. Looks good sir. Now go terrorize some children.

Monday, May 09, 2011 8:09 PM
Really? 20 pages for that? Good thing I was at work with nothing to do, waste of my day.

Sounds like you'd be alot better off buying good equipment, instead of constantly blowing up crap and having to replace it.

Everything Louder than Everything else

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:19 AM
I've only cooked one amp out of the years and years I've had some of the gear, so I don't get where I've constantly blown up crap?

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:11 PM
Like the interchangeable ports.
Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:48 AM
Yup, I have 4 different swappable ports. So far I've done a 140, gains are way below where they should be, and that's with the seat up.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:44 AM
I feel like you should be doing more than that especially with interchangeable ports, but you did say seat up gains down. Good luck with future improvements
Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:15 AM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:now, from my testing it isnt about what the subs like (cause lets be honest subwoofers are subwoofers, they are all FAIRLY similair) its all in how the bandpas of the vehicle your working around works. as in, we could put any of my single 12 boxes in another vehicle and it would fall on its face (yes even a crx!!! lost 4 db) so basically when a company comes in and says hey my subwoofer like small boxes, the main reason why they say those things, is do to the vehicle they tested with... but some do like small boxes, some do like big boxes, its all in how it fits into the band pass of the vehicle...

if that is the case you know to never do business with that company because there r&d sucks balls.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:15 AM
Lanman31337 - Cavfire wrote:Yup, I have 4 different swappable ports. So far I've done a 140, gains are way below where they should be, and that's with the seat up.

come on lan man lol... whats ur email, ill send you a box that even with the seat up with those subwoofers and everything and amp and blah blah that will do 147-148 @ 32-34 hz, and a 150+ at 42

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:00 AM
Port area is too small. Got the gains set. At low to moderate volume it sounds great. I start to turn it up and it chuffs bad and dbs actually drop. Going to go dual 5 inch ports, one will be 22 inches long (it'll have to stick out of the box) for 35 hz, and one for 13 inches for 42 hz.

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:58 PM
I dont have much experience on the matter.... but just comparing to my friends, one of which just stuffed two 15" clarions in fiberglass boxes he made himself (purely for cosmetic look, nothing to do with SPL) and put up a 152... this is a lot of work for 140.... lol

Saturday, May 21, 2011 10:16 AM
I find that 152 hard to believe to be honest.

Saturday, May 21, 2011 7:52 PM
ac mic in the kick... lol

Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:56 PM
Sounds about right to me. Hahaha.

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:26 AM
Maybe the Ooooooold AC mic, in the port!

Found out why i'm only able to get to 142... one of my subs is toast, getting it shipped out shortly. one open coil, all the rest are good.

Monday, May 23, 2011 11:04 AM
probly only see a db gain from that, I lost 1.2 from losing 1 out of 2 coils on a nightshade. (popped tinsels) from 149.5 to 148.3

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 11:34 AM
I also don't have the box sealed from the trunk, losing some from that but no nasty rattle. I may get spunky and flip it so subs are aiming back once the new one comes in.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search