Brad's Project Thread - Page 3 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Brad's Project Thread
Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:25 PM
David Ortlieb wrote:hmm....interesting......I have been thinking about a project like this...weird you built from the actual door into the door panel...never seen that..

If you are doing it right, that's the way man. 1. You need a stronger surface to mount mids than the plastic door panel. 2. you want to isolate the woofer a bit. Not have free air between the panel and door, in order to get more accurate midbass out of them.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 5:39 PM
The metal part of the door alone has ~1.75cubes of airspace, more than double that recommend for these woofers. If I'd used the area behind the door panel as well they would've sounded awful. (In fact, I've done that before, but with some shi! speakers so it was hard to tell what was the enclosure and what was the bad speaker design. Either way it sounded like balls.)

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 9:16 PM

Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:17 PM
Thats a spare tire covered in tape.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:48 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:Thats a spare tire covered in tape.

yes, but why?

click sig for my car audio videos
Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:56 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:

yes, but why?

Id presume something to do with making a FG enclosure in the spare tire well while retaining the factory donut.

Thursday, May 06, 2010 8:23 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:

yes, but why?

Id presume something to do with making a FG enclosure in the spare tire well while retaining the factory donut.

My Guess, 2 cans of great stuff...

Saturday, May 08, 2010 9:54 PM
TheSundownFire (GME Chat) wrote:

yes, but why?

Ding ding ding.
I`ll have pictures as I progress. At the moment the mold is made from the tire and I just spent 8 hours removing old "Deadener" from my trunk. The trunk is in primer right now, to be followed with 3 laters of Cascade VB-1X, one layer of VB-MAX and then one layer of VB-4 and VB-3 (where each is applicable).

Then it will be box building time.
The basics goals I have in mind are:
-Factory donut retained.
-The box will lift, hinged to the front end of the trunk and supported with hydraulic arms.
-1 Alpine Type X 10" Sub
-Powered by 1 Alpine PDX-M12 (1200W rms)

I'm not sure how it will be finished, but I'm thinking carbon fiber and carpet. We'll see what happens.

Here's an exciting photo.

My buddy took one half way through removing the deadener. I don't know where it ended up though.

Saturday, May 08, 2010 10:40 PM
looks good so far!

Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:12 PM
Go me! Whats mah prize?

Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:32 PM
You get a hug from Dustin

Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:36 PM
But he doesnt like me today. As long as it isnt one of those extra long special hugs Im ok.

Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:42 PM
My hugs come with a free round of grab ass. You had better be a cute girl though, as much as you bitch and cry, you could be!

Liquor is not a drug John, liquor is not a drug.
Sunday, May 09, 2010 1:42 PM
I can't specify location or duration of hugs, nor intensity.

The prize is non-refundable.

Sunday, May 09, 2010 3:32 PM
Is the prize transferable? Cause I know this lady. Her names Belinda. She has a mustache and a weighs about tree fiddy. She could sure use it

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:02 PM
Here's the initial laydown of VB-1X, three layers

Half cured

And done

I would post better pictures, but my apartment got broken into and they stole my TV and DSLR :[

Here's the mold

Now I'm stuck waiting for the rest of my Cascade.
This is fun

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:23 PM
I like. You should get me a link to all of the stuff youre using for deadening. Especially the door stuff.

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:37 PM

Thank you sir.

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:06 PM
Hmmm how many times have I said that the dealer that I get all my high end audio from is also a Cascade dealer?
And I HIGHLY suggest their stuff. best on the market.(and no I'm not saying that so you guys can start some big debate). It just is.

Liquor is not a drug John, liquor is not a drug.
Monday, May 10, 2010 7:08 PM
Yup, it's the best. My store is trying to push Dynamat, Stinger and B-Quiet on me, but they're products just aren't as solid.

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:09 PM
wow, i didnt know the floor of the trunk was that smooth... ill have to do this soon! thanks for the pics!

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:20 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Hmmm how many times have I said that the dealer that I get all my high end audio from is also a Cascade dealer?
And I HIGHLY suggest their stuff. best on the market.(and no I'm not saying that so you guys can start some big debate). It just is.

I usually dont pay attention when you talk but Ill get with you about some deadener when Im not poor. Hopefully that stuff will be on back order too

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:46 PM
Any updates on the project
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:50 PM
Still waiting on Cascade. It was incorrigibly hard to get a hold of and when I finally did it ended up being on back-order.

I'm itching to get on this probably much more than you are to see it

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search