What are the options for "upgrading" to power windows? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What are the options for "upgrading" to power windows?
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:16 AM
My wife has indulged me for the last 8 years while I built my Trans Am into a 9 second show car. She continually says that she is good without a new car because she doesn't want the added payment each month. I see her eying cars like the Nissan Cube and the Kia Soul. She has also always wished she had keyless entry and power windows.

Is there a cheap way that I can get power windows (and door locks if available) into her car? I am pretty handy with a wrench as I built that Trans Am myself, so unless the install is harder than an LS1 engine swap, I should be good to go .

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. What about a sunroof? I've chopped 3 cars roofs to make them TTops

Re: What are the options for "upgrading" to power windows?
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:41 PM
The cheapest would probably be to go to a junkyard and pull the harnesses, all the inside of the door pieces (track, regulator, motor, etc), and the door panels from a junk car. Then just bolt everything in.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:47 PM
As far as power locks go, I have the SPAL keyless entry kit, and i LOVE it. I also have the SPAL power window kit and it was a breeze to install and love them too. way easier and quicker to install than taking doors off something and harness and what not. plus you get to put the switches where you want... ill see if i can find pics of mine and then edit the post...

this way i got to keep the pocked behind the shifter since i use it so much as it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:53 PM

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:38 PM
Not liking the door plugs but whatever works. How much does that kit run?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:50 PM
wasnt a fan of them either but i dont even notice them now. they say you can space the window crank in so you dont have to use the plugs, but we have rivets that hold the crank there and not a lot of room to move the motor in and i am much happier with this kit than a standard LS sport, my gf has the standard power windows and they are slow.

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=33000031

power lock kit
http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=itemdetail&item=37000175

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:01 PM
That looks perfect, and for less than one good tire T/A! Thanks for those links.

As far as the plug, I'm feeling it as a really good place to mount an angled tweeter!

Thanks again.
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:10 PM
Its not really a good tweeter mount if you want to get technical but most people wouldnt notice the sound difference.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:43 PM
I spoke to my parts guy at my local dealership, and he showed me the complete wiring diagram for the 2004 Cavalier. It looks like the same wiring harness was put into each Cavalier that year, regardless of model, which means the wiring harness for power windows should be there. It wouldn't be difficult to scrounge up the actuators and motors for the windows off of a junker and pop them on there, plus he can also order me any parts that I can't find (GM has a whole warehouse full of Cavalier parts just sitting around, but you gotta know who to talk to and be willing to fork over a few bucks).
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:55 PM
Andy Stumpf wrote:I spoke to my parts guy at my local dealership, and he showed me the complete wiring diagram for the 2004 Cavalier. It looks like the same wiring harness was put into each Cavalier that year, regardless of model, which means the wiring harness for power windows should be there. It wouldn't be difficult to scrounge up the actuators and motors for the windows off of a junker and pop them on there, plus he can also order me any parts that I can't find (GM has a whole warehouse full of Cavalier parts just sitting around, but you gotta know who to talk to and be willing to fork over a few bucks).

if that's the case, get me a set of 95-99 toyo tails and 03+ Israeli headlights.

car audio noob since 1984.
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 8:00 PM
You do not need the entire harness. Just have to run power to the switches. It's may e a day project to change to power windows with stock parts. I got all my stuff for about $100.
Friday, June 03, 2011 1:52 AM
Hmmmm....this may be my next project. I wouldn't even need panels or plugs, I have better use for all the free'd up room.

Re: What are the options for
Friday, June 03, 2011 4:09 AM
i went with all SPAL on my 2004. it was manual windows and no power locks.

I installed a SPAL power window kit, and installed the switch pods OVER the existing holes for the cranks.

ignore the open speaker grilles, those are being dealt with shortly.

I then bought a Viper 5901 alarm off of amazon.com for $220 (about a third the cost from a retail store) and installed it myself.

hooking the viper into the SPAL power lock kit was very easy. plus, the 5901 has a two way transponder, so it will confirm commands made to the car are completed. it also has a provision for remote start which I plan on hooking up before winter. they also have seperate modules for adding extra functions.. like a module to roll up/ roll down your windows.

I also tied mine into the trunk popper. as long as you have a pintout/ wiring diagram for the car its being installed into, its really simple.

I even went so far as to use the pre-existing wiring for the power windows, and just installed the proper size fuse in the fuse box behind the driver's side door.

Friday, June 03, 2011 6:30 PM
I like those hole mount switches alot better! Nice job..now get those speakers fixed

How do you like the sound of them? I've installed type r's in a cobalt and was pretty impressed overall and so was the owner.
Friday, June 03, 2011 7:37 PM
Andy Stumpf wrote:I spoke to my parts guy at my local dealership, and he showed me the complete wiring diagram for the 2004 Cavalier. It looks like the same wiring harness was put into each Cavalier that year, regardless of model, which means the wiring harness for power windows should be there.

Well, this wouldn't be the first time a guy at a dealership was wrong, and it certainly won't be the last. There are different harnesses for each trim level... and if you don't have power locks, windows, mirrors, trunk release or any other options, the wires aren't there. I can assure you, first hand.. I've had over 100+ J-body cars into pieces.. and swapped a full optioned harness into my base model 03 Cav, just so I could add the factory power locks and mirrors.

Windows.. I would rather swap complete doors if I could have found them in black.. But I couldn't.

Saturday, June 04, 2011 2:30 PM
BassJunkie wrote:I like those hole mount switches alot better! Nice job..now get those speakers fixed

How do you like the sound of them? I've installed type r's in a cobalt and was pretty impressed overall and so was the owner.

the type S that I have are pretty good, but I've never thrown an amp at them and they're kind of old...

from what I've heard/read, type Rs need power in order to sound good. The reason I cut the grilles out was because the mounting depth was just a bit too large for the door panels to fit back on. I was going to re-use my floor q-logic pods, but I like having the floor space (plus, passengers had a habit of kicking my speakers) which is why I'd prefer to mount them in the doors.

I'm probably going to go with Rainbow audio door speakers this time. the typeS sound pretty decent, but they break up from time to time and the matching tweeters broke a long time ago, so its time for a new set of front components.

/thread jack

Saturday, June 04, 2011 3:45 PM
I am planning on getting the spal kit here in a few weeks, my question is will I have issues installing it as I have no power windows (obviously), power locks, or mirrors, however I do have power sunroof. Will I have any issues with wiring this up?

Also on a side note just curious about the kit does the driver side have automatic up and down? Like just flick it once and it goes all the way down or no. Thanks.
Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:21 AM
Chrismac902 wrote:I am planning on getting the spal kit here in a few weeks, my question is will I have issues installing it as I have no power windows (obviously), power locks, or mirrors, however I do have power sunroof. Will I have any issues with wiring this up?

Also on a side note just curious about the kit does the driver side have automatic up and down? Like just flick it once and it goes all the way down or no. Thanks.

if you read my post, I had crank windows and no power locks. so unless you can't follow directions, you shouldn't have any problems installing this in your car.

the automatic down is built into the switch. if you use an OEM jbody switch in the factory location (you can find these on ebay) you MIGHT be able to wire it up to work, but you're gonna need a wiring diagram of the windows in order to double check this.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:55 AM
Im telling you..

Stock jbody regulators, stock switches. Wire a power to your switch..ground it...done.

The rgulators are not that hard to install..Drill out the rivits, bolt in the new regulator. I did it in a few hours on my friends car.
Wednesday, November 09, 2011 4:03 PM
Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:25 PM
^ hmm...... x2

I have the trunk release, but manual windows/locks, no sunroof.
I wouldnt mind having power windows, and locks while Im at it, but mostly windows at least.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:00 PM
Philly D wrote:Im telling you..

Stock jbody regulators, stock switches. Wire a power to your switch..ground it...done.

The rgulators are not that hard to install..Drill out the rivits, bolt in the new regulator. I did it in a few hours on my friends car.

stock regulators suck. I have already gone through two sets, working on replacing them a third time... ugh...

Thursday, November 10, 2011 4:43 PM
Must have bad luck...

Ive had 2 jbodies with them and never an issue.
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:57 PM
drilling rivets out for regulators is exactly why I always suggest using SPAL kit on a manual car... if the motor dies, it'll take me minutes to replace it, not hours.

also, here's an updated picture of my door panel.

just because the pictures i posted above make baby jesus cry.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:28 PM
That looks way way better PJ..

Although when ive done them ive replaced the rivets with 1/4" bolts so its a quick in and out affair.
Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:34 PM
I still have both kits I had when I posted the pics above. Work flawless to this day.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search