Steering Wheel Radio Control Installation Info - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Steering Wheel Radio Control Installation Info
Friday, December 31, 2010 2:55 PM
This is a thread on how to install a steering wheel radio control (SWRC) on a 2000+ Delco/GM radio, I am focusing in on the Pontiac/Monsoon radio as that's what I worked on. I would (think) that you (may) be able to adapt the SWRC if you have a aftermarket head unit by using "PAC" or "Axxess," but I'm not for sure on that and quite frankly this is not a thread about that, but feel free to add in if you have the right info to share.

***Note***:
-Chevy Cavalier folks you will need a Pontiac Sunfire steering wheel/airbag in order for this to work for you, that is if you don't mind the miss-match badges on the steering wheel.
-Older Sunfire owners (95-99) has a simpler way of setting it up which I'll go into details later.

History: Pontiac had this option on the Sunfire since the 1996 model year; then when 2000 model year came about, Pontiac decided to drop the option with the new line of radios.
This is where I come in.

What tools you'll need:
-Wire cutters
-Striping pliers
-Philips screw driver
-All size sockets even a 21mm
-Steering wheel puller
-Watch-use "fine" mini flat-head screwdriver
-C-clip remover
-Torque wrench

You'll also need:
-Electrical tape
-96-99 Pontiac steering wheel radio controls found on the Sunfire. Some 1998 and under Grand Ams had the same controls that you may use too.
-96-99 Driver's airbag from the Sunfire (Grand-Am again too) with SWRC. You'll need this bag as the bottom has a dedicated spacing for the controls to fit correctly. You'll see pics of what I mean later.
-96-99 Sunfire clockspring, you will need this to make a connection from SWRC to the radio.
-96-99 Airbag male connector located under the driver's dash. Cavalier/Sunfire connectors will work here.
-96-99 SWRC Sunfire’s harness

Now as for where to find these parts? GM Dealers is one place where you can get (new), but because of the price, be prepared to give in your first born. Next is E-bay/ Craigslist or any of those online junk/salvage yards with in those sites, they could carry what you need all in one stop shopping. Last place to look is at your local junk/salvage yard, it will be probably be the cheapest route, just be prepared to accept the condition of the parts you'll find. Luckily, most of the parts should be in ok condition, just because of the location in the car they are found.

One:
Disconnect Airbag. I’ll place exactly what GM says. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Two:
Remove the steering column’s cover. The top snaps off, and three screws on the bottom. If you have Tilt Wheel, you will need to unscrew the lever off too.

Three:
Remove the airbag & steering wheel. Again exactly how GM says to do.

Four:
Remove the radio from the slot.

Five:
Get under the driver’s side dash and find your Airbag connector that is clipped to a dash brace (pic). Carefully remove the male pins (green/white) from the 2000+ connector and adapt the two wires on the 96-99 connector (pic w/circle). Here is where the fine “watch screw drivers” comes in handy.

Six:
Remove old clock spring and install new clock spring. I think you had loosen the columns stalks in order to slip the wires out and install them in. Pics on how it will look.
Old

New

Seven:
Run the wires down the column towards the inside of the dash and meet the SWRC harness near the radio and Airbag harness to the dash connector that you just changed.

Eight:
Connection begins (pics). On car’s harness you’ll see all the letter/number diagrams. You will be connecting the SWRC harness, to the car’s harness. Here you should see how you will connect them and what ever suites you best.

Wire/ Harness:
Green/ A7
Yellow/ A6
Grey/ B4
Black/ B5

Nine:
Install the SWRC buttons to the new airbag (two screws). Here is where I was talking before that you’ll need the extra spacing under the pad.

Ten:
Install the steering wheel to the steering shaft, airbag to the wheel, column cover, connect the airbag connector under the dash. Zip tie any loose wires so it won’t be banging on a drive through the bumps.

Eleven:
Connect the radio to the car. Connect all the wiring that you disconnected to disable the Airbag. Refer to step one. Turn to ACC, airbag telltale flashes 7Xs and turns off (Airbag shouldn't deploy on your face) and radio should have power and so does your SWRC too. All eight functions should work and the controls should light up too. It will look like this (pics)

For the 96-99 Sunfires, just use the GM harness that I used here and it will be literally a plug an play affair.
Car’s Radio Harness >SWRC Harness> Radio.
You will need the Airbag, clock spring and SWRC. Now, I’m not sure if the lower end radios will accept the SWRC, but if your GM/Delco radio had equalizers, it should connect right up.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Steering Wheel Radio Control Installation Info
Friday, December 31, 2010 2:56 PM
Sorry guys it took so long to do a write up, but at least here it is.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, January 07, 2011 5:54 PM
I'm glad you got this figured out. I know how hard you worked on it.

Sig'less since '02!
Saturday, January 08, 2011 12:51 PM
Nice job buddy Glad to see it worked out!

Saturday, January 08, 2011 1:12 PM
that's awesome. so wanna do this.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:04 PM
Thank-you guys, I appreciate it.

Now I found this at the junk yard and this can (maybe) open some doors for you Chevy folks and even Pontiac folks too.
This is a N-body 1999-2005 Grand-Am steering wheel & airbag in a 2000+ J-body (2001).

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:56 AM
Now with the N body and clock spring, it's the same as the 2000+ J?

Saturday, January 15, 2011 9:44 AM
Not 100% sure on it, but I believe: yes.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:33 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Thank-you guys, I appreciate it.

Now I found this at the junk yard and this can (maybe) open some doors for you Chevy folks and even Pontiac folks too.
This is a N-body 1999-2005 Grand-Am steering wheel & airbag in a 2000+ J-body (2001).

Man, look at that dash crack!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search