Double Din radio for 02 sunfire - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Double Din radio for 02 sunfire
Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:53 PM
Hey guys,

It's been awhile since l've been here but I just bought a 02 Pontiac Sunfire and need help. I'm trying to find a double din dvd player that will fit in this car. Can someone help? The mounting depth is the problem...

Re: Double Din radio for 02 sunfire
Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:13 PM
Or... tell me how you guys are putting the Double Din 7" screen in the sunfires. What model radio do you have?
Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:46 PM
You can use a Double Din radio in 00+, just have to dremel out some plastic in the back of the mounting hole, because there is excess plastic in the way, it wont hurt anything and it took me like 3 minutes. Then it mounts just fine, also, make sure you get the right mounting kit and you should have a smooth install. Here is a link to the install kit I used for my Pioneer 3200DVD. All double dins should fit in there fine though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NWG3RO

Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:28 PM
Karnage wrote:You can use a Double Din radio in 00+, just have to dremel out some plastic in the back of the mounting hole, because there is excess plastic in the way, it wont hurt anything and it took me like 3 minutes. Then it mounts just fine, also, make sure you get the right mounting kit and you should have a smooth install. Here is a link to the install kit I used for my Pioneer 3200DVD. All double dins should fit in there fine though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NWG3RO

Thanks for the info. After I cut it out, how much room is back there after. Is there a reason for choosing a radio with the dvd slot on the top versus the one that flips out. I was wondering if there was issues with the flip out screen.
Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:59 PM
Well, the flip out screen will have more parts that can go bad, and with them flipping out it doesnt look as "factory" as a double din does. You have several options though, if you want a double din, you could get a pioneer like mine, the next model up has a face that comes down to reveal the slot, and so it has more screen size, but then it has more moving parts, and either of those options are better than an actual single din flip out IMO and the flip outs have a greater chance of breaking at the hinge.

Here is what mine looks like installed.

Thats just for reference, but you get the idea. Also, as far as room goes, you will have enough room for all of your wires, I have a ton of connectors and a bypass relay, and RCAs and a thick bundle of wiring back there, and it fit fine because with it cut out, you can get to more places to hide things inside the dash.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:48 PM
I just ordered that radio and kit. I checked it out on youtube and will do just fine. Thank you for your help.
Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:47 PM
No problem, feel free to send me a PM and any other questions. you might also grab a 12v relay in you want to bypass the parking brake.

Monday, February 28, 2011 6:31 PM
Thanks for the bypass video, that will save me $14 on ebay. I've been looking into speakers of the sunfire now. Not many places list speakers that will fit it. 4x6 in the front and 6x9 rear. The problem again is shallow mounting and so far only Pioneer has some but was looking for something with more excursion. What speakers are you playing?
Monday, February 28, 2011 7:27 PM
I have 4x6 Infinity reference series and 6x9 Infinity Kappas. You can get speaker adapters to mount 6.5" up front, the interior speakers were already in the car when I bought it, and they sound great, but I would def. get adapters and go with 6.5 but I couldnt tell you what would fit, and where to get the adapters.

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:32 PM
Hmmmm...Infinity's. I have all kappa's in my 98 Chevy Silverado. I checked crutchfield and the site say the 4x6 reference won't fit. Maybe you have last years 4x6 and the new ones are made different. I really hate these sites don't say why they don't fit because maybe I can modify something. I hate to buy speakers and I can't make it work. I have come across those front adapters but still can't get info on 6.5 speakers for that either. This is the hardest car I ever had to get info on
Monday, February 28, 2011 9:48 PM
I would go with anything in a 4x6 because it honestly will probably fit great, I know a lot of these sites have weird or conflicting info, but ive het to see a 4x6 that wouldn't fit, mounting holes should be the same and it shouldn't be much deeper, there is usually depth to spare, its not like it has a huge deep cone that will hit the glass, the only speakers ive seen have issues are the Type R 6.5" components because of the deep cone it hits the glass, but even then, they can be made to fit.

Im pretty sure you wont have any issues with any 4x6, and if lasts years fit, this years would too since they aren't going to radically redesign the cone, they are made for 4x6 in mind, so they are going to fit cars that have 4x6 in the door.

Im sure someone will correct me on this if im wrong, but you should def. be fine.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 4:45 PM
Karnage wrote:I would go with anything in a 4x6 because it honestly will probably fit great, I know a lot of these sites have weird or conflicting info, but ive het to see a 4x6 that wouldn't fit, mounting holes should be the same and it shouldn't be much deeper, there is usually depth to spare, its not like it has a huge deep cone that will hit the glass, the only speakers ive seen have issues are the Type R 6.5" components because of the deep cone it hits the glass, but even then, they can be made to fit.

Im pretty sure you wont have any issues with any 4x6, and if lasts years fit, this years would too since they aren't going to radically redesign the cone, they are made for 4x6 in mind, so they are going to fit cars that have 4x6 in the door.

Im sure someone will correct me on this if im wrong, but you should def. be fine.

What software are you using to convert movies? I can't seem to get the correct converter
Monday, March 21, 2011 9:15 AM
if every single screw doesnt match up as the factory does crutchefield will say it doesnt fit. that doesnt mean it wont fit though. just means you may need to modify it a bit. making a baffle out of 1/2" or 3/4" mdf will allow the majority of 5.25 or 6.5 speakers to fit in j-bodies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, March 21, 2011 4:20 PM
I posted on your other thread about getting the video converted. I hope that helps.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search