New season, New Build :) - Page 3 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: New season, New Build :)
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:54 PM
im gunna find out what 2 saz-4500s will do to this set up. mainly for efficiency testing.... to see if 2 strapped amps is better then one lonley amp

click sig for my car audio videos

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:57 PM
Tuned in for that.
Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:09 PM
Always in for strapping things. Erm.... Disregard.

Sunday, June 05, 2011 8:48 AM
think somthing broke in my car, same power same everything, lost a db.... need to figure this out....

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 6:04 AM

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:31 PM

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:48 PM
deaf yet?
Monday, September 19, 2011 8:44 AM
Andrey B wrote:deaf yet?

nope

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:05 PM
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

i'd check your hearing if i was you
Monday, September 19, 2011 6:55 PM
LMAO, id check your facts first noob...

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:03 PM
first of all, congrats on your score, that's pretty impressive and i'd love to hear it in person, but..
are you trying to tell me that @ 151 db your hearing doesn't get damaged even if it's at 30 hz?
my record so far was 146 @ 35 and i couldn't stand being in the car for more than 5 seconds, not to mention my neighbors across the street were complaining, mind you i was testing on an empty parking lot 500 feet away.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:08 PM
p.s. boost your mids and highs, you're running what 4-5 kw of bass with only 1 set of components? not cool, not cool at all..
Monday, September 19, 2011 7:12 PM
He's doing SPL competitions, but building for high sound quality.....

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:32 PM
Andrey B wrote:first of all, congrats on your score, that's pretty impressive and i'd love to hear it in person, but..
are you trying to tell me that @ 151 db your hearing doesn't get damaged even if it's at 30 hz?
my record so far was 146 @ 35 and i couldn't stand being in the car for more than 5 seconds, not to mention my neighbors across the street were complaining, mind you i was testing on an empty parking lot 500 feet away.

it dont hurt me to sit in my car.... yes its loud, no i dont play it full tilt every day, only competition day. is my hearing effected? no not at all, i hear very very well yet. i bet you probly hurt your ears ten times more by having an amped set of mids and highs in your car then i do with my 151 sub bass. also this is a burp only set up, i can only do a 149.5 @ 35 hz for a daily driver (but i probly only use about 145-146 of it for driving)

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:31 PM
the fact that you say it doesn't hurt your ears at 150 db is already a sign of hearing loss. frankly a person with normal hearing would be screaming in pain from that sound pressure
hell even 15 seconds is enough to cause permanent damage at these levels. somebody back me up on this but 150 db @ 35 hz is somewhere near 125 dB at 1 khz to ear drums
i have a digital spl meter in my car just because i am running so much power to mids/highs and i RARELY hit anything over 100 dB, although they can easily hit 120 dB at full tilt
Monday, September 19, 2011 9:04 PM
if loudness is all you're after you should've went with 6th order. tuned to 35 and 65 with 2 cu ft:1.5 cu ft speaker chambers and experiment with the bandpass til you get it right.
might take you a few tries but you'd easily hit 160s
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:40 AM
agree with andrey. if 150 doesnt bother yoru ears then youve allready done some good damage to them. hearing is something you don't notice the loss till its too late. if your sitting in the car at 150dbs your stupid.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:00 AM
Andrey B wrote:if loudness is all you're after you should've went with 6th order. tuned to 35 and 65 with 2 cu ft:1.5 cu ft speaker chambers and experiment with the bandpass til you get it right.
might take you a few tries but you'd easily hit 160s

LMFAO!!!!

and no you have it backwards bud, high notes hurt more then low notes... seriously do your damn research!!! never claim you know things that you dont know, my hearing is better than alot of peoples, especially at my work, ill be sitting there with headphones on and listening to a conversation on the other side of the room... it doesnt hurt your ears. it hurts your body... makes it so you cant breath... honesty ive sat in cars with a lot of mids an highs, overwelming and i couldnt handle the highs, but i could take the bass. its a FEEL not a HEAR kind of thing... sub frequiences are not as damaging as high frequencies.. seriously... a @!#$ jet is 140 db, there is no @!#$ way you could be next to a jet without ear protection NO WAY!! but 140 db sub bass is typical and normal everyday thing, no hearing protection what so ever... you guys OBVIOUSLY dont understand acoustics and its effects....

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:05 AM
basically what your saying is loud highs is like getting hit in the head with a cinder block were as loud lows is like getting hit in the head with a brick. just because one is worse then the other that doesnt mean its not bad for you. think before you speak. "gee gusy gettig hit by a car is no were near as bad as getting hit by a bus". that is basically your whole argument? really? reality is both hurt and both do damage. and yes continuous listening of 140dbs will damage your ears.

you do realise that you could be fine hearing people talking across the hall beause those frequncies arnt damaged but you could be damaging your ears to not hear other freuqencies right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:42 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:30 AM

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/faq/

below was taken directly from the link above.

(Is it only the decibel level that is important in terms of damage to the ears, or does the frequency of the sound matter as well? In other words are high or low frequencies more dangerous than those in the middle range?
The decibel level and time of exposure are the most important considerations. Some sounds — such as gunfire, explosions, etc. — are so loud (140 or more decibels), ANY brief exposure to them at close range can cause permanent damage and hearing loss. Sounds at 100 decibels (such as loud music through stereo headphones) will take a while longer (1-2 hours of exposure) to cause permanent damage to hair cells in the cochlea. The frequency of the sound is less important than its decibel level and time of exposure.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_advice_archive.shtml

below was taken directly from the link above.

PC questions Crabby on Dangerous Decibels at Dance Clubs and Raves!
Dear Crabby,

Two questions that have been bugging me ...

[PC] First, I've heard that deep bass music - i.e. at clubs/raves - is focused around 63 Hz, below the frequency range considered risky.

I've also read some epi research out of France suggesting clubgoers are at much lower risk of hearing loss than those attending rock concerts or listening to PCP (personal cassette recorders, that is). [cite: Meyer-Bisch C. "Epidemiological evaluation of hearing damage related to strongly amplified music (personal cassette players, discotheques, rock concerts)-high-definition audiometric survey on 1364 subjects." Audiology 1996 May-Jun;35(3):121-42].

[Crabby] False. It's not the frequency that damaging, it's the intensity .
[PC] Does all this mean clubs/raves are relatively safe?

[Crabby] No. Any sound above 85 dB, is considered potentially at risk for hearing loss. Raves are typically outdoors; therefore, there are no walls to cause reverberation of sound. This is good, but if the volume is above 85 dB, your hearing is still at risk.

[PC] Or is there other research concluding that the frequency of the music is irrelevant? Most of the research I've found so far is on broadband noise and rock - so it's seemed tough to make a judgment. I'd be grateful if you could give article citations.

[Crabby] I would search the Internet for articles regarding the effects of noise on hearing.

As you may know, the maximum exposure time for unprotected ears per day is 8 hours at 90 dB according to The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines. For every 5 dB increase in volume, the maximum exposure time is cut in half.
95 dB - 4 hours
100 dB - 2 hours
110 dB - 30 minutes
120 dB 7.5 minutes
Many hearing professionals believe that these permissible levels are still too high for hearing safety.

In the US Noise Abatement Laws are in place for nuisance complaints such as airport noise, etc. At the Federal level, the funding to enforce the complaints was cut in the 1980's. Each state has their own laws and funding policies which vary from State to State. By contacting your local representative you can find out more about the noise abatement laws for your city or province.

Noise Abatement is difficult to enforce, especially if you are paying to go into an establishment to hear loud music. The police respond to loud noise complaints if neighbors have made a complaint in the area or, it is past curfew. You may talk to the owner of the club, the sound engineer or, the band and ask them to play at lower levels. Find out if they utilize room acoustics. Let them know that they are losing more people by playing too loudly and making it uncomfortable for the rest of the audience to enjoy the music. EXCESSIVE NOISE LEVEL CAN DAMAGE HEARING!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=9735

if you go by oshas guidelienes. at the 140 db range you'd be looking at doing damage in about a minute or more of exposed listening. are higher frequncies more damaging? yes and no. they do the same amount of damage but its less noticable to miss hearing freuqncies in the lower octives then it is to notice hearing loss in the frequencies with sounds we hear everyday like someone talking. but damage is being done regardless.

im sure i can continue and post up reference after reference for you concerning noise exposure.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 11:49 AM
Quote:

and no you have it backwards bud, high notes hurt more then low notes... seriously do your damn research!!! never claim you know things that you dont know, my hearing is better than alot of peoples, especially at my work, ill be sitting there with headphones on and listening to a conversation on the other side of the room... it doesnt hurt your ears. it hurts your body... makes it so you cant breath... honesty ive sat in cars with a lot of mids an highs, overwelming and i couldnt handle the highs, but i could take the bass. its a FEEL not a HEAR kind of thing... sub frequiences are not as damaging as high frequencies.. seriously... a @!#$ jet is 140 db, there is no @!#$ way you could be next to a jet without ear protection NO WAY!! but 140 db sub bass is typical and normal everyday thing, no hearing protection what so ever... you guys OBVIOUSLY dont understand acoustics and its effects....

wow, all i gotta say is wow

you're soooooo stupid if you think you don't hurt your ears at 150 db. you already damaged your hearing for sure, go to your doctor and tell him your little story and check your hearing while you're at it.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:18 PM

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:02 PM
im glad that none of you understand this... we measure in aa PRESSURE thats converted to a decible. not an actual decible, if you take an hand held db reader it will barely pick up the noise coming from a subwoofer, trust me ive tried it... then i broke down and bought a term lab. you guys just dont understand... again, its a FEEL not a HEAR....

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:05 PM
No it isn't.

Air moving is air moving.
Pressure is pressure
The hairs in your inner ear are getting fuc­ked up.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:03 PM
Can you guys stop arguing with him.... You sound like a baby when you say you can't sit in 140 db.... I had a few people jump out of this truck because they couldn't breath... I'll admit it made my ears itch..

Said truck: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo4I7SsL2pM skip to 1 minute, and all the rattling is actually the rear window loose, and the welds on the hatch broken.

Keep up the work, btw. I'm thinking about a system in my ride some day soon.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search