4th order isobaric bandpass enclosure - Page 2 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 4th order isobaric bandpass enclosure
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:12 PM
Oedwards wrote:This is the guy who said you had to remove the entire dash to change the gauge cluster.

i said that it would've been easier to tap into a few wires as opposed to removing the dash for tach install

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:14 PM
Having the subs mounted on opposite sides of the box might be enough to be causing cancellation issues.

How hard would it be to strip the carpet and reface the box with the subs mounted right next to each other?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:01 PM
bradsk88 wrote:Having the subs mounted on opposite sides of the box might be enough to be causing cancellation issues.

How hard would it be to strip the carpet and reface the box with the subs mounted right next to each other?

woofer placement is big, but not enough to say cancel the other out. measure the box for me with port and all, how many layer ect...

click sig for my car audio videos
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 4:41 PM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:
bradsk88 wrote:Having the subs mounted on opposite sides of the box might be enough to be causing cancellation issues.

woofer placement is big, but not enough to say cancel the other out. measure the box for me with port and all, how many layer ect...

I've seen a few times where having the subs even 8" apart caused pretty surprising drops below 50Hz. Mind you, I've never encountered a box like this in a Cavalier.

Andrey, does it improve or degrade if you set one woofer out of phase?

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:07 PM
ok here are enclosure specs:

Vb = 3.75 cu ft
Fb = 37 hz
F3 = 30 hz

i really don't feel like taking the subs out as they weigh a ton

could it be that the enclosure is too small? i made the biggest one i possibly could that'd fit in my trunk but perhaps the subs need even more volume for the lows.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:09 PM
port length is 16'' with a cut off at 13.5'', width is 3''
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:29 PM
please measure the actual enclosure for me. not the cookie cutter specs....

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:41 PM
w 37'', h 14'', d 17
mdf thickness - 3/4
woofer displacement = 0.094 x2
port displacement = 0.075
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:08 AM
your port is how long inside the box? 13.5? one board straight back?

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:10 AM
how is the rest of your setup. if you have really poor midbass. most bass is going to sound muddy . listening to any sub with just the sub and no solid mids and highs usually sounds like poop. you need good mids and highs to help bring the sound home as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:17 AM
so far i have:

3.35 cubes tuned to 36 hz... and if you port is 13.5 deep one board then that is why your box sounds liek ass is cause the port opening ont he back is only 2.75" which will change the overall sound of the enclosure...

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:19 AM
and your port disp is is .37 not .075 LMAO

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 6:21 AM
Anton Miller (PPC) wrote:and your port disp is is .44 not .075 LMAO

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 12:53 PM
port lenght is 16 '' with a cut off at 13.5''
i knew the box was too small, but there's no way i'd fit a bigger one in there
anyway, i am gonna sell the subs and start looking for another one
they weren't great for sq anyways
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:36 PM
Andrey B wrote:port lenght is 16 '' with a cut off at 13.5''
i knew the box was too small, but there's no way i'd fit a bigger one in there
anyway, i am gonna sell the subs and start looking for another one
they weren't great for sq anyways

what do you mean cut off at 13.5? is there where the "L" begins? like i said, at 13.5" deep on the board that makes the back opening only 2.75 a quarter inch too small from other port opening, there for would most likely throw a monkey wrench in the tuning. if the port isnt done right the box will turn out like @!#$! no need to sell the subwoofer cause you cant get what you want out of them. and you CAN fit a bigger one int here, just gotta think right... a 3 cube box is probly all you need for those little guys anywyas...

also, a p3 is nothing like an sa... just saying. weve done drop in tests where the sa has gained close to a db on the p3 with less power...

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:00 PM
the only drawback in my book with SAs is that they're pretty light and that's why i went with p3s instead
and you can't move a lot of air with lighter subs
my ultimate goal is to hit lows and retain a smooth broadband within 28 to 50 hz and i got 2 sets of JL c5s taking care of mid bass and highs
and i don't think p3s can do that unless thrown in a 4-4.5 cu ft box tuned to no higher than 30 hz, but then i'd loose a lot of output and still won't hit lows that well with them.
anton, do you know exactly how much SA 12 weights??
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:02 PM
with regards to measurements, i went to double check and the port length is actually 13.25''... never take precise measurements in the dark huh
so there's no errors there. but i am really not happy with how they sound
the subs are officially up for sale
i figured that taking into consideration design and space of the car i will go with 1' 1000 watt rms 12 or 15'' sub in 2 cu ft box tuned to 30 hz
either SA 12 or Fi BL
Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:14 PM
Andrey B wrote:the only drawback in my book with SAs is that they're pretty light and that's why i went with p3s instead
and you can't move a lot of air with lighter subs
my ultimate goal is to hit lows and retain a smooth broadband within 28 to 50 hz and i got 2 sets of JL c5s taking care of mid bass and highs
and i don't think p3s can do that unless thrown in a 4-4.5 cu ft box tuned to no higher than 30 hz, but then i'd loose a lot of output and still won't hit lows that well with them.
anton, do you know exactly how much SA 12 weights??

LMFAO your seriously judging a subwoofer by how much it weighs? wow can you say super noob.... "the bigger the magnet the better oh yes!!!"

i mean i know nothing about sa's moving air s eyes*

you want a real box design just let me know thru a pm... just cause some one labels somthing as "professional" dont mean it is....

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:20 PM
Are you sure you want a 4th order? What the graphs on those design programs don't show you is actual response when placed in its acoustical environment (cabin gain and so on).

4th orders are lot more complex than just throwing some numbers into a program, they require alot of testing and tuning to get just right.

4th orders are efficient to an extent. Yes they get loud on a little power, but you need bigger amps because of the tremendous rise in 4th orders.

Its not uncommon to see 3x-4x (and even higher) rise in these types of boxes. So if you're wired at 1 ohm on a 1000wrms@1ohm amp, the actual load your amplifier will see is around 3-4ohms. So your subs are actually only seeing 2-300 wrms (just tossing numbers around). To me that makes them extremely inefficient.

I love my current 4th order but its a power hog. If you have time to build one and have the patience to test and tune it, I say go for it.
Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:52 AM
Quote:

LMFAO your seriously judging a subwoofer by how much it weighs? wow can you say super noob.... "the bigger the magnet the better oh yes!!!"

you want a real box design just let me know thru a pm... just cause some one labels somthing as "professional" dont mean it is....

weight x force = energy - it's simple physics
you wanna dispute that? go to a ring and try and fight somebody who weighs more than you and tell me how quickly you'll get knocked out

now, with regards to box design, i don't see any flows with it, except that i am limited to how much space i have
small box = higher peaks @ higher frequencies
Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:51 AM
Andrey B wrote:

It would be nice if it were that simple, but it's not.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 11:09 AM
Andrey B wrote:
Quote:

you wanna dispute that? go to a ring and try and fight somebody who weighs more than you and tell me how quickly you'll get knocked out

now, with regards to box design, i don't see any flows with it, except that i am limited to how much space i have
small box = higher peaks @ higher frequencies

wow... how noobish can one person be? oh right about as much as you... thats like saying because a neo magnet weighs less then a normal magnet the normal magnet is stronger.... ps its not....

like i said you want a real box design that gets stuff done, pm me or like my page on face book (pure pressure concepts)

Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:33 PM
pmd
Thursday, July 14, 2011 1:57 PM
Dude andrey b, u know how many fighters that can fight in a weight class above them? Size isn't everything

Thursday, July 14, 2011 2:48 PM
in boxing there's no more than 15 lb tolerance for each weight class (except for super heavy weight where there's no limit)
and there's a good reason for that
with weight comes the power
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search