replacing stock speakers - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
replacing stock speakers
Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:30 PM
well, i decided i don't want subs in this car. I just want to replace the factory speakers and hook up an amp. question is, what good brands are people using? My buddy swears by Memphis and I always have used Kicker or MA Audio subs. never really messed with anything other than subs though. I listen to mostly heavy metal, punk, rock stuff like that. I am looking for some decent bass and good loudness. I'm looking at Memphis 6x9s, 6.5s, and a matching amp. just looking for some advice, like I said I don't know much about mid speakers, just subs.

Re: replacing stock speakers
Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:37 PM
Price range? Honestly as far as sound quality goes, All 3 of the brands you listed I would stay away from lol.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:21 PM
I've always heard people riding Mephis' peener, but when I finally got the chance to install some they sounded like asssss.

If you want 'loudness' look into Kicker and JL audio (JL C2's would be nice enough)

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:26 PM
Funny thing is, for the price of non-authorized internet JL C2 coaxials he could have Rainbow KX's, and for the price of non-authorized internet JL C2 components he could have Rainbow CSX's..... with factory warranty.

OMGIPLUGGED!

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:27 PM
whatever lol

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:32 PM
Not knocking your recommendations, dood. You know we're bros.

jus'sayin'...........

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, August 12, 2011 12:29 AM
For best quality I'd be willing to go up to say 500 total
Friday, August 12, 2011 3:58 AM
sad thing is your going to spend all that money and still be missing a full sound without a sub.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, August 12, 2011 4:26 AM
yeah just curious why you're against a sub? You are never going to hear every frequency in your music without one, and there's a lot of music down in those low frequencies. If you're willing to put that much money into your sound system, think of doing front components, sub, 4 channel amp. With the right prices on the right equipment, you should be able to make it work.

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Friday, August 12, 2011 6:50 AM
I have subs and have had subs many times in the past. I just really don't want a thumper system. Just looking to go above stock but not crazy. I have been looking into jl stuff and I didn't realize it was so cheap. So maybe I will end up adding a sub, maybe. Right now I'm looking at 6x9 c2s 6.5 c2s and a 360/2 amp
Friday, August 12, 2011 8:44 AM
Hahaha another person who thinks "thumping" is all subs are for... Speakers will not extend low easily. Anything below 80hz on most normal speakers isn't going to be easy on them. Get higher in quality and they might extend down to 60 and be ok. There's music down below 60-80hz that a sub pics up. the issue that people have is that everyone tunes subs to be loud and thumpy because it's what they want or think subs are for. That's not the case. Sure in some installs if you WANT that, you can have that, but you can also tune things right to what you want, blend it nice, and have a well rounded set up.

Again, my recommendations would be to hold off on rear speakers, get a single 10 in a sealed box(enough bass to keep up, small footprint, all you would need), some good front components, and a 4 channel amp to power it all. Space savings, money savings. That's just my suggestion.

Also, like I said, you can't get JL products that cheap from an actual authorized dealer, and if you want, as I said, I can get you into some nice Rainbow speakers with full factory warranty and support for the price of unauthorized JL speakers on the internet. Just offering.

A good example of someone who also wanted to get better than stock, keep the budget reasonable, and get as well rounded as he could is the 2011 Kia that I am doing the install on Sunday(I'll get pics if anyone cares lol):
Fronts: Rainbow SLC265.25NG components
Rears: Rainbow KX165 coaxials(will be running on head unit power)
Sub: 10" JL W1v2 in a sealed box that is only .65cu. ft. after displacement
Amp: SoundStream Rubicon 4.500

All of that totals about $780. Cut out the cost of the rears and you have $660. If you then even want to save cash by not getting SLC's and getting the CSX's, you're then down to about $600 even for some nice higher end components, great little budget amp, and a sub that will sound great and blend well.

You CAN get nice equipment AND a well rounded system on a budget

(tabs) wrote:
oh, trust us, we know

Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:20 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:get a single 10 in a sealed box(enough bass to keep up, small footprint, all you would need), some good front components, and a 4 channel amp to power it all. Space savings, money savings.
i started out with a 10" in a 1 cuft (before displacement) sealed box. i loved it. would do again.

car audio noob since 1984.
Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:18 AM
piano, bass guitar drums. all things that delve down into the sub bass range. without a sub your only getting part of the music. get a sound quality sub in a properly built box and power it in regards to the rest of the system. and it won't be a thumper. it will blend with the rest of the music and sound great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search