Re-Gluing rubber surrounds? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re-Gluing rubber surrounds?
Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:08 PM
I still have the old Alpine 6.5 mids from my component set that I pulled out because the surrounds came unglued, I know some people say its not worth it but i'd still like to make them usable for something instead of sitting in a box.. Whats the best thing to use for a glue? Amazon has some speaker glue stuff, i've read other places to use a silicone RTV type to keep it flexable? Or should it be more solid to keep the edge of the surround from moving away from the basket?

Re: Re-Gluing rubber surrounds?
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:39 PM
i was wondering the same thing, i just found a tear in my kickers

happy happy joy joy

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:43 PM
ca glue (cyanoacrylate glue) a lot of hobby shops carry it. (rc cars and planes and stuff)

this is the stuff i used for my recone on my sub and it worked great. (subs runs 2500 watts rms and have peen putting that kind of power to it daily, its also a spl sub for db drag)
http://www.bsi-inc.com/Pages/hobby/ca.html i bought the insta cure +

i was also told that Loctite 410 is another really good glue (i just cant get it with out ordering it or else i would of went with this)

150.0 DB, Loudest in Atlantic Canada, Street Class A.
Next year 155 DB
Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:43 PM
Ive always been told 100% silicone for repairing sub surrounds. I reglued my cone to my surround on my speakers using "The Amazing Goop" or something like that.

Just stay away from anything that gives off acetic acid as it cures since that will eat up rubber surrounds.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:55 AM
Wouldn't the added weight be an issue here since it probably won't be distributed evenly? If that's the case I would strongly suggest the CA+ as previously mentioned since it weighs next to nothing (used to use it on my balsa-wood bridges).

"In Oldskool we trust"
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:02 PM
try something like partsexpress.com or madisound.com if there still around they likely have specific glue for it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 3:50 PM
Ryan Pitt wrote:Wouldn't the added weight be an issue here since it probably won't be distributed evenly? If that's the case I would strongly suggest the CA+ as previously mentioned since it weighs next to nothing (used to use it on my balsa-wood bridges).

I think that depends on where your gluing it, if its the cone to the surround there might be issues, but I don't think it will matter as much if your gluing surround to basket... there shouldn't be much of any movement.
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 11:18 PM
I dont see an issue with weight. We're talking fractions of fractions of an ounce. A speaker motor isnt going to be bothered by a bead of glue.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search