dual alts.... in parallel - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
dual alts.... in parallel
Friday, September 09, 2011 6:44 PM
Ok, I've been thinking about this for a while, and theoretically I feel like it should work.... I know a lot of people use multiple HO alts in big time setups, but I want to say they're all wired in series which keeps the amperage the same whether it be 270A or whatever. Anyways, since I'm in college and money is tight, I was thinking about buying another stock 105A alt and wiring the 2 in parallel, which should yield 210A. Question is, does anyone think it'd be worth it to play with all the brackets and belts and such, or should I just save and save and wait til I have enough for a HO alt? Also, any input from you fellow engineer/electrician types as to why it would work or not work would be awesome.
Ps, its for a 2.4L so I got the funky mount alt :/

Thanks a lot.

Re: dual alts.... in parallel
Friday, September 09, 2011 6:55 PM
alts shouldn't be wired in series, always in parallel, you want to increase amperage, not voltage..
imo it'll cost you the same if not more to have a custom bracket for dual alts designed than just getting a H.O alt that'd yield same amperage
however if you can or know somebody who'll build a custom bracket - go for it. just upgrade your wiring and do the Big 3, and get at least 2 batteries or more.
Friday, September 09, 2011 7:03 PM
Might even find a way to mount it where the ac was or something.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Friday, September 09, 2011 7:04 PM
Andrey B wrote:alts shouldn't be wired in series, always in parallel, you want to increase amperage, not voltage..

x2 this

OP is a tard

Saturday, September 10, 2011 6:29 PM
ok yeah that makes sense. I'll prolly just wait and buy a H.O. alt since it'd be way simpler. I already have my big 3 and an extra battery, but I could get a lot more out of my amps if I had more current. and as far as a bracket I could probably fab one myself, my stepdad has a harley shop in our pole barn with all the welding/cutting @!#$ I'd need. And steph- I posted cause I had a question I wanted an answer to. thanks for your help @!#$in idiot.
Sunday, September 11, 2011 8:38 AM
No problem bro, our cars love 28V. plus with all the aftermarket amps out there that require at least 24V this is a no brainier.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search