amp... - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
amp...
Sunday, September 04, 2011 10:01 PM
i am building my new box this weekend, im still trying to selttle on a design... but the next week i am getting a new amp and i am deciding between the tre audio ssx 1400 and the audioque 1200d, any opinions on the two would be great please

Re: amp...
Sunday, September 04, 2011 11:45 PM
aq 1200 is a very good and well respected amp
re audio from what i heard was not bad also, though not sure now that they got sold to US amps
i'd probably go with aq
Monday, September 05, 2011 8:46 AM
my bad its not supposed to be an re amp its supposed to be a treo audio ssx 1400
the audioque is $270 and the treo audio is $350
Monday, September 05, 2011 9:55 AM
they got sold to US Amps so you aren't sure of their amp quality? Yikes dude, that should actually make things MORE respectable. US Amps has always made solid products. Although I don't know where you got RE from his original post, if they had an amp in his price range, I see no issues going that route.

And living in Omaha, I avoid Treo. The local shop that is connected with them is full of complete asshats and customer service to me speaks volumes. Knowing their arrogant, worthless attitudes, I wouldn't ever touch their products. Not to mention it's nothing new, it's just a different name on the same rebadged components/cases that soooo many companies use.

(tabs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:its not much fun trying to argue with a wall.
oh, trust us, we know

Monday, September 05, 2011 5:43 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:they got sold to US Amps so you aren't sure of their amp quality? Yikes dude, that should actually make things MORE respectable. US Amps has always made solid products. Although I don't know where you got RE from his original post, if they had an amp in his price range, I see no issues going that route.

And living in Omaha, I avoid Treo. The local shop that is connected with them is full of complete asshats and customer service to me speaks volumes. Knowing their arrogant, worthless attitudes, I wouldn't ever touch their products. Not to mention it's nothing new, it's just a different name on the same rebadged components/cases that soooo many companies use.

lol thanks alot im going the audioque route then, only reason why i considered treo is because we only have 3 audio shops around here, one sells pretty much on rockford and lightning audio, the other sells re and soundstream but they only sell the super small stuff like speaker amp not subwoofer amps, and the other sells dd, treo, and sundown, and they are the only shoip that knows what they are doing the other 2 always @!#$ peopls stuff up so i was going to get stuff through them because they are good, anyways thanks for the inputs ill put some pics up this weekend of my new box if i get it started
Monday, September 05, 2011 8:13 PM
rockford and sundown are as good as aq
Monday, September 05, 2011 9:13 PM
yes but the shops around here wayyy over chargeeee, besides im not looking for a 4 channel amp , and the shops around here dont selling anything but, the shop with the sundown audio equiptment does but they would charge me 350 for a 1200 watt sundown amp, so ill go witht the 270 aq amp, btw thankx alot for that formula!
Thursday, September 08, 2011 1:39 PM
Andrey B wrote:rockford and sundown are as good as aq

last time i checked they were better.... MUCH better....

click sig for my car audio videos
Friday, September 09, 2011 4:46 PM
Hey now, I'm lovin my AQ setup. Haven't had a single problem with my AQ1200D and my HDC3 12".

Friday, September 09, 2011 6:58 PM
AQ makes good amps that's for sure
amp wise i don't see why they can't compete with rockford or sundown, although i'd probably still vote them over aq, but not by a lot like anton here is saying..
Monday, September 12, 2011 8:59 PM

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:43 AM
dakota phelps wrote:yes but the shops around here wayyy over chargeeee, besides im not looking for a 4 channel amp , and the shops around here dont selling anything but, the shop with the sundown audio equiptment does but they would charge me 350 for a 1200 watt sundown amp, so ill go witht the 270 aq amp, btw thankx alot for that formula!

heres were i step in to do my old man routine. because 15 years ago you would have paid around 350 bucks for a 350 watt amp.

are you competing? if not then you dont even need 1200 watts or 2000 watts. all your really doing is killing your ears while pretty much gaining nothing. what the diffrence between 140db and 141 db. nothing unless your competting because the human ear can't really distinguish between 1 db diffrence. generally it takes 3db to make a noticable diffrence. so unless your doubling your power from your previous install your not going to really notice a huge change unless you drive around with a db reader in the car to show you the diffrence.

just as antons link showed, there was a 400 watt diffrence or something between the two amps. from 2400-3000 or something like that. if your competing those extra watts will be worth it because every fraction of a db helps. but just for an everyday car you run around in you wont notice a big diffrence between the two at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:54 PM
well idk where u guys are getitn ghte 3500 watt amps from i was talking about a treo 1400 watt amp and an audioque 1200d, i have made my mind up to go with the audioque tho
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:18 PM
was going from what i thought anton had posted up. regardless. diffrence of 1400 and 1200 watts is going to be problaby less then half a decibel.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:09 PM
i have to say that i don't fully agree with you sndsgood.
more power = cleaner sound = better sq.
while 3500 can be a little of an overkill for a smaller car. 1-1.5 kW is where I THINK you wanna be. The formula suggests that you want to have a double of power to subs as you feed to your mids/highs (taking into account your mids and highs can safely handle the power). I am running 600 watts to my fronts and about 250 to my rears. that's 850 watts of mids and highs. keep in mind i built this setup with SQ in mind. so according to the formula i should run about 1700 watts into the subs which is very reasonable. even 2000 is ok
if you go more however you gotta go through some serious electrical upgrades and that's where SQ turns into SPL, because really past 140 db you probably want to have to shake your neighbors house or be heard from 5 blocks away. but in general, i'd say 1000-1500 is very acceptable.
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:51 PM
im not saying it for loudness lever sndsgood im was wondering all in all which amp is a better, and which one is a better deal, treo 1400 for 350 or aq 1200 for 270, i was wondering which one is more reliable, better quality just all in all which one was better
Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:48 AM
Andrey B wrote:i have to say that i don't fully agree with you sndsgood.
more power = cleaner sound = better sq.
while 3500 can be a little of an overkill for a smaller car. 1-1.5 kW is where I THINK you wanna be. The formula suggests that you want to have a double of power to subs as you feed to your mids/highs (taking into account your mids and highs can safely handle the power). I am running 600 watts to my fronts and about 250 to my rears. that's 850 watts of mids and highs. keep in mind i built this setup with SQ in mind. so according to the formula i should run about 1700 watts into the subs which is very reasonable. even 2000 is ok
if you go more however you gotta go through some serious electrical upgrades and that's where SQ turns into SPL, because really past 140 db you probably want to have to shake your neighbors house or be heard from 5 blocks away. but in general, i'd say 1000-1500 is very acceptable.

and at that amount of power. i mean close to 2000 watts of sub bass. when i was running my single 12" sealed box with 130 watts i was right around the 130 db range playing music. at that level i was doing permanent hearing damage with roughly 45 minutes of playing time. 2000 watts your probably going to be in the low to mid 140db range and doing permanent hearing damage in maybe 10 minutes time if not less. so at that power range your destroying the one thing you need to hear music. seems counter productive. when your running that much power your main goal is to show off. your main goal is not sound quality. not to mention id bet the majority of people running 2000 watts of bass are not running 1000 watts of highs. most of them are running likely 200 watts or less id say the biggest sound issue i had with judging sound quality cars over the years was the bass was turned up way to high. over and over and over it was always the same thing. more power equlaing a cleaner sound works at a lower level but i gaurentee a 2000 watt system wont sound any cleaner then a 1000 watt system. the whole wanting double your highs came about years ago when most systems were in the couple hundred watt range because you need to get over the cars natural resonance in the 50hz+/- range in the car. once you have a few hundreds watts or more of bass it really became a non-issue.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:18 PM
well, with regards to hearing loss issue, you do know that at low frequencies (20-40 hz) your hearing is less sensitive, 140 dB @30 hz is like 100db at 1 kHz (give or take)
obviously you don't bump your system full blast for 45 minutes at the time, unless you have a death wish - it is all common sense.
the lower you tune - the less you're damaging your ears and the higher your SQ is, but also the lower you tune - the more power you need to move the subs as lower frequencies are longer and require more energy.
Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:53 PM
it's like driving a really powerful vehicle that tops out at 300 km/h on 100 km/h limit roads. you don't try and top it out, but it's good to have the power to accelerate quickly to desired speed. not the best example, but same logic goes for car audio - it never hurts to have constant power.
Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:54 PM
correct. and with 800 watts of highs youlle do the damage 10x as fast as u will with a sub.

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:51 PM
Anton, AQ's not meant to be a top of the line brand though. That's what DD is for. Sure AQ is good, but all the parts are from China.

I still have no complaints with my 1 12" and my 1 AQ1200D.

(Don't mind the thrown together headunit install. It's temporary.

Friday, September 16, 2011 5:11 PM
what sub are you running?
Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:35 AM
A single Audioque HDC3 12".

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search