6 x 9 subwoofer suggestions? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
6 x 9 subwoofer suggestions?
Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:46 PM
Hey everyone. I have a 2003 Cavalier with pioneer deck, Alpine 4 channel amp 80RMS x 4, 5 1/4" Focal Coax On the first two channels,
and Boston SC 95 6 x 9's on channels 3 and 4. I used to have a ported 10" JL bridged on channels 3 and 4 but sold the sub becuase I needed more trunk space.

The car sounds pretty good, but damn I miss that bass. I have been searching the net for 6 x 9 subs options but I'm not sure which are good and which are bad. My plan is to sell the boston 6x9's and replacing them with a good set of 6 x 9 subs. My budget is around $150.

Any suggestions?

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Re: 6 x 9 subwoofer suggestions?
Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:20 PM
Pretty much any 6x9 is going to disappoint in the subbass department if you don't plan to build an enclosure behind it.
Have you considered a smaller sub/box?
Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:31 PM
RoboticPotPie wrote:Pretty much any 6x9 is going to disappoint in the subbass department if you don't plan to build an enclosure behind it.
Have you considered a smaller sub/box?

no they won't, 6x9 are free air speakers, meaning they can run in an infinite baffle. so as long as your trunk is closed and your rear seats are up - they will produce decent amounts of bass.

i am using infinity reference series 150 watts @ 2 ohms - decent bass, somewhat poor SQ due to ovular shape, hence I disconnected them

if you want a lot bass just get a sub. but with your budget that's not possible since sub alone will cost more than 150 + you need an amp as well

you want decent 6x9s get infinity or JL c2s. just make sure you sound proof the rear dash
Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:47 PM
For a little more than your $150 budget you can pick up an Infinity BassLink powered sub.
It's not gonna' blow your windows out or impress people with huge bass, but it might be just enough to satisfy what you're lookin' for.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:08 PM
i would steer clear of that thing since i read some bad reviews about it.
first of all amp and sub combo is never a good thing because of all the vibrations killing amps' internals.
it'd be worth to save up a little and get a decent 10 or 12'' sub that can handle 500-600 watts and build a GOOD enclosure for it
after all it's the enclosure that determines how a speaker is gonna sound, not so much the equipment that you're using..
Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:34 PM
Well, I'd hafta' disagree on the bad review claim...
You can look here and here and find mostly good reviews.
All products will have some bad reviews, but if we didn't buy them solely on one or two bad reviews then none of us would be driving j-body's, now would we?

As far as the vibration is concerned... Do you think that an amp mounted directly on the outside of a box isn't subject to vibration?
Or even an amp mounted in the trunk? Say a 1000 watt amp driving two 12 or 15 inch subs, shakin' your mirrors and hittin' nice and loud. No vibs there?

I just think it's an affordable option for someone lookin' to add a little bottom to there system is all.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:57 PM
you never supposed to mount an amp anywhere on the box.
basslink is baaaad news when it comes to following that rule.
Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:57 PM
and that's why you don't see a lot of those amp+sub combos.
Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:24 PM
Andrey B wrote:you never supposed to mount an amp anywhere on the box.
basslink is baaaad news when it comes to following that rule.

Differing opinions... here
Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:56 PM
well if you wanna take a chance at breaking your amp - go ahead and mount it on the box.. if somebody got away with it, it doesn't mean you will.
it all depends on type of box you have, amount of power, quality of the amp, how loud and how long you listen to them, etc...
Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:04 PM
I'm just saying that there's different schools of thought, that's all.
Actually, the OP doesn't want anything big. He said he had a sub enclosure but removed it for the trunk space.
That's why I suggested the BassLink.
And I've had one for almost two years now, with no problems.
Again, like I said, it's not gonna' win any SPL contests, it just adds some bass to round out the sound.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:59 PM
If mounting an amp to the side of a sub box causes you to worry about the amp vibrating apart, you should probably buy an amp that costs more than $25.

Here's a thread discussing 6x9 subwoofers, check the link I posted.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=4&i=144276&t=144276

Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:30 PM
bradsk88 wrote:If mounting an amp to the side of a sub box causes you to worry about the amp vibrating apart, you should probably buy an amp that costs more than $25.

Here's a thread discussing 6x9 subwoofers, check the link I posted.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=4&i=144276&t=144276

i am more worried about $500 amp making 2kw and 2 12s beating the crap out of it 2-3 hours every day.
don't tell me it can take this kind of beating forever.
Monday, September 26, 2011 1:03 PM
there are tons of companies that make subs with built in amps for the home. the pressure your amp recieves mounted to the back of the seat 6" from your sub is not that much diffrent then the amp mounted on the box itself. the car everytime it drives vibrates and bumps around. they are built to witstand vibration.

as for the sub bass. for 150 bucks you could get a high quality 8" 0r 10" sub. build a small sealed enclsoures and mount it to the rear deck. youlle likely have better sound quality and better bass output then trying to find 6x9's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, September 26, 2011 1:05 PM
sndsgood wrote:there are tons of companies that make subs with built in amps for the home. the pressure your amp recieves mounted to the back of the seat 6" from your sub is not that much diffrent then the amp mounted on the box itself. the car everytime it drives vibrates and bumps around. they are built to witstand vibration.

as for the sub bass. for 150 bucks you could get a high quality 8" 0r 10" sub. build a small sealed enclsoures and mount it to the rear deck. youlle likely have better sound quality and better bass output then trying to find 6x9's

Have you ever tried this? There is only about 2-3" between the rear deck and the trunk springs.

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:25 PM
A Subwoofer is not an option for me no matter how small the enclosure is. I NEED all the trunk space I can get. I had a sub and I sold it, I'm just looking for decent bass.

My speakers and 10inch JL sounded awesome but half the time I would have the bass turned down, so a 6x9 that can handle a few lower frequencies should be just fine.

My boston 6x9 that are installed right now are just good for highs and a bit of mid bass (not much at all).

For those who think 6x9's can't give decent bass, check this out:
6x9 SUB

Those VIBE speakers need 100 RMS min, which my amp Can't handle, but a set of similar speakers is what I'm looking for.
Any Suggestions?

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:36 PM
Have you looked at the CDT's that bradsk88 mentioned in the other thread he showed the link to?
Monday, September 26, 2011 7:14 PM
Ya I've seen them, I searched the web and heard a few bad reviews on CDT's. Any have the CDT's in their car? They are one of a few pairs of 6x9 subs available. I think Tang Band makes a few, but haven't heard of that brand.

They don't have to be recognised as 6x9 subs. Even my old pioneer 6x9 off my deck had more bass than the boston's I have right now. I seen a video on the alpine 6x9 type S and the woofer had a lot of movement going on. The video seemed to show them creating some decent lows

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:23 PM
Not sure where you're hearing the bad about the CDTs, but any time I've seen a bad review of them it has been to the tune of "these speakers didn't sound good off my deck's internal amp."

It goes without saying that any sub is going to require an amp of some sort.

Tang Band is a decent brand, although I only know their home audio stuff.

Tuesday, November 08, 2011 2:22 PM
drivemybrosZ24, You should listen to what sndsgood and brad have to say. What the other posters say really doesn't make sense and I really don't think they know what they are talking about. I know brad and sndsgood know there stuff!

Whats up people?
Monday, November 14, 2011 12:52 PM
javis hildebrand wrote:drivemybrosZ24, You should listen to what sndsgood and brad have to say. What the other posters say really doesn't make sense and I really don't think they know what they are talking about. I know brad and sndsgood know there stuff!

I agree with this. I have heard what they have posted in other threads and do agree with most of what they posted. Also, if the problem of having an amp near a sub was ever a problem, then why do many manufactures like Infinity and JBL make subs for the home with big 12" speakers with amps built into them? If such problems were true to damaging the amp, they wouldn't make them.

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:39 PM
Something came up and money is really tight, I'm going to have to hold off on the new speakers. I think I should follow Brad and Sndsgood suggestion on the CDT's. Maybe after Christmas. I would be cool to have the extra bass and people ask how big the sub is? and answering back what sub, BOOOOOOOOOOOM

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Monday, November 14, 2011 3:59 PM
Haha, alright.

But in fairness don't expect them to be especially powerful. They're intended to play low end so they'll fill it in nicely. But they're not going to shake the car much.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 7:00 PM
that sounds about what I want, a little bass will make me happy. My 10" JL was a little too much for everyday listening. But when I was in the mood, it was nice..

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search