gas guage goes way past full (PLEASE READ) - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
gas guage goes way past full (PLEASE READ)
Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:04 PM
ok so today for the first time in a while i filled my tank to full. when i got in my car later i started it and the guage went from empty straight past full blocking the temp guage so it wouldnt move. for the past few weeks the whole cluster will dim when i turn the blinkers on or hit the brakes, so i think either i need a battery or alterator or both. i tried turning the key on and off to see if it would reset but it just sounds like a gear or something in the cluster is stripped and isnt catching the gauge right. i dont think its the sending unit or the floater in the tank because of the noise it makes when the key is turned. is there any way to fix it or am i going to have to buy a new cluster that shows different miles which i dont want to do. PLEASE HELP!!!

Re: gas guage goes way past full (PLEASE READ)
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 12:36 PM
Pretty sure 02-05 models store mileage in the computer, not in the cluster. Replacing it won't affect the odometer.
Wednesday, October 20, 2010 6:55 PM
Sounds like a bad ground of some sort. Likely on the printed circiut within the cluster.

Yes, the mileage is stored in the BCM (body control module), not the cluster. A new one will likely fix your issue and WILL NOT mess up your mileage or anything like that. Always a good concern before you do something like this though.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:07 PM
I just changed the cluster in my 04 because the speedo wasnt working and the mileage stayed the same after the swap.
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:27 PM
I have a 99 Z and the gas gauge stopped working well over a year ago. I know this isn't exactly your issue but instead of fixing the problem I just zero out my tripometer everytime I fill the tank. Once I hit 230 miles i refill completely and zero it out again. At first I thought it was a pain in the ass but it quickly becomes habit and no biggie.
Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:11 PM
sounds like your ivr instrument voltage reducer might be on the fritz. if u have a dmm check the voltage in your cluster. it should be 5 volts

Get Loud or Die Trying
Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:40 AM
Jim Crockett wrote:I have a 99 Z and the gas gauge stopped working well over a year ago. I know this isn't exactly your issue but instead of fixing the problem I just zero out my tripometer everytime I fill the tank. Once I hit 230 miles i refill completely and zero it out again. At first I thought it was a pain in the ass but it quickly becomes habit and no biggie.

My gas gauge was doing generally the same, for the longest time i would fill it and it would go up to full, while driving it would go down until it hit 3/4 of a tank, then it would drop to an 1/8 tank, then like, 10 more minutes of driving it would drop right down to nothing and after a while the gas light would turn on. I ignored it, did the same thing you were... then a few months back it just started working again lol.

2002 2200sfi 5-speed.
Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:48 PM
Ryan Pitt wrote:Sounds like a bad ground of some sort. Likely on the printed circiut within the cluster.

Yes, the mileage is stored in the BCM (body control module), not the cluster. A new one will likely fix your issue and WILL NOT mess up your mileage or anything like that. Always a good concern before you do something like this though.

Agreed
Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:53 PM
Christina Bullock wrote:
Ryan Pitt wrote:Sounds like a bad ground of some sort. Likely on the printed circiut within the cluster.

Agreed

almost year old response agreement ftw!!!

car audio noob since 1984.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search