00 Sunfire electrical problem - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
00 Sunfire electrical problem
Friday, October 14, 2011 10:25 AM
Ok so I picked up this 00 Sunfire 2.2 with a sunroof for the daughter, I had a 96 and drove it 400k miles so Figured this would be a good car if anything broke it couldn't be much different then my 96. Everything worked till two days after I got it home things went crazy
Here is a list of the problems and it all seems that it is more then likely a ground that I cant find.
daytime running lights don't work
cluster lights don't turn on at night, so she cant see her speed. but the dummy lights do work( gauges drop to 0 if the lights are one and you hit the brakes the first time but doesn't do it after)
dome light doesn't turn on( she said it came on once when she opened the door last week)
after market radio does not turn on, factory radio turns on but does not light up( constant power works ACC wire doesn't get power)
A/C no longer turns on the compressor
lighter port gets no power

Here is what I have done and tested
voltage at the in cab and under hood fuses are good
check the engine compartment grounds
redid the battery ground
in cab grounds looked and only found 2, 1 under the trim on each side by the seat sensor wires( I know there is more just don't know where they are)

any help would be great thanks

Re: 00 Sunfire electrical problem
Friday, October 14, 2011 12:16 PM
You say you checked the under-hood fuses. What about the fuses on the left side of the dashboard?

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:38 PM
Keir Dykstra wrote:
voltage at the in cab and under hood fuses are good

yes they are reading good
Friday, October 14, 2011 3:41 PM
he said he checked volatge at the fuses...did u check actual fuses them selves?

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:57 PM
Yes checked and even went as far as replacing everyone.
Thursday, October 20, 2011 11:00 AM
maybe you could have a shortage in one of ur power wire...check the voltage in ur gage cluster and the make it to where they go off and then check the voltage and see if it changed becaue to me it sounds like a shorted wire
Saturday, October 22, 2011 3:22 PM
I would say pick one problem and start there.
The dome light, apparently the bulb is good. Does it come one when your roll the dimmer switch all the way up?
If you can get it out and apart took apart one on a 91 Sonoma I had. Looked like someone poured a can of coke on it. Took it apart cleaned it and my dome light suddenly worked. Can't remeber why I took the switch out now.
The aftermarket radio. Pull both radios and see if you can tell how they are wired. take one out completely. Just more junk and wires in the car.
The DRL's. If you have a book start looking thru the system. But I would also start by checking the bulbs and sockets. Make sure they are good and not burnt. Work your way back.
Cig lighter, pull it out and see if you have power too. If not trace the wire back.
As you have already stated, check the fuses first. Grounds can cause alot of problems, as a low battery can.
Hope some of this helps you somehow.
Wednesday, November 02, 2011 3:10 PM
dome light does not come on with the switch I have changed the switch and still does not work.

Took the new radio with dummy wireing harness just plug and play, took power from wipers and put in the acc power line and it turns on just fine. just a work around but atleast there is music now.

the DRL no idea the lights are good the wires are not damaged at all and seem to be getting through put on all of them.

cig lighter no power cant get the black wire traced with out taking out the dash it does something odd and goes up and over stuff and i cant find it after that.

check the battery and it is reading good even hooked up jumpers with both cars running icase i was retarded for a moment just to check, still nothing.
Tuesday, December 06, 2011 11:55 PM
Most of those things are controlled by the bcm, not so sure about the cig lighter though.
Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:42 PM
It was the bcm replaced it yesterday and every thing works great now thanks for the help
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search